GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:44:24 +0100
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue

Issue No. 66/2005, 22-24 August, 2005

Editorial

DAILY OBSERVER AND THE IEC CHAIRMAN

On The ABCs of Democracy

The existence of an executive, legislature and judiciary with separate and distinct powers and their co-existence with oversight institutions like an Independent Electoral Commission, Office of Ombudsman, Women and Children Commission and audit offices that are independent are vital for a democratic society in the 21st century.

However, all these institutions can only be of significance if they serve and are seen to serve the public interest.

Needless to say, the media provides the ground for these institutions and the public to interact and influence each other’s opinion for the greater good. The free _expression of opinion is the lifeblood of a democratic system. Any institution that or institutional head who ignores public opinion is likely to sink into the abyss of obscurantism. He/she becomes irrelevant.

There is therefore a fundamental difference between the tendency to be influenced by the truth and facts and the tendency to be dictated by persons or passions. Every good administrator seeks to be influenced by the truth, facts and wisdom. Every bad administrator is influenced by persons and passions. The constitution is very clear on the independence of the Independent Electoral Commission. It states under section 43(3):

"In the exercise of its functions under this Constitution or any other law, the Commission shall not be subject to the direction or control of any other person or authority."

FOROYAA fully endorses this principle. Hence the position of the IEC Chairman that it is improper for anyone to tell the IEC what to do is in line with section 43(3). The only unfortunate thing is that the IEC Chairman has inherited an institution which is a hostage of political manipulation by the executive. Such political maladministration has deprived the IEC members security of tenure and has threatened its independence.

In short, section 42 subsection (6) paragraph (c) of the Constitution states:

"The President may remove a member of the Commission from office for misconduct, but before removing a member, the President shall appoint a panel of three judges of a superior court to inquire into the matter and report on the facts…"

Mr Gabriel Roberts and others have been accused of misconduct by the executive and removed with impunity without the review and report of a tribunal.

Secondly, section 42(5)(c) states categorically:

"A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a member of the Commission… if he or she has actively identified himself or herself with any such organisation" that sponsors a candidate, in other words, a political party. We are quite aware that one of the persons appointed to be a member of the Commission was an SOS and member of the Cabinet up to February 2005.

The IEC Chairman should note that the misbehaviour of the executive has cast doubts over the IEC. This is all the more so when the president made declarations that Gambians abroad will not exercise their right to vote, which is a statement that only the IEC should make. He has gone as far as to say that he will leave no stone unturned to prevent two opposition candidates from returning to the National Assembly. It is such pronouncements that have made every action of the current members of IEC to be viewed with suspicion. There is even a public outcry that the public notice on transfers is a scheme to enable the president to have his way. This is why FOROYAA advises the IEC members to engage the public through the media to try to allay legitimate fears and doubts. They should also convene a meeting of political parties as confidence building measures. Such suggestions are not meant to dictate to the IEC but to keep it abreast of public concerns and public opinion.

As an academic the IEC Chairman may already be aware that institutions lay their own pillars of integrity by which the integrity of their members are assured. However in some instances it is the integrity of individual members that can restore public confidence in institutions whose integrity is in question. It is our candid view that the integrity of the IEC of The Gambia now rests solely on the performance of its present members. This is why we say that they have to increasingly take the public stage to explain their actions to the public. This is how matters stand.

HALIFA’S INTERVIEW

On the transfer of voters’ cards, challenge by the IEC Chairman on stakeholders, the participation of Alkalolu on the selection of APRC candidates and election monitors and NADD

Foroyaa: The recent announcement that the office of the IEC is open for transfers and replacements up to the 29th September 2005 has been received with ambivalence by many people. After receiving some complaints in Saloum, can you tell the public the outcome of your consultation with the IEC?

Halifa: As the public is already aware Upper Saloum was an NRP seat. Apparently, the campaign manager of NRP contacted the Janjangbureh office of the IEC to inquire whether some voters whose cards were burnt during a fire incident could have them replaced after gathering that the APRC mobilisers had taken some voters from Farafenni and environs to have their cards transferred to Upper Saloum. Apparently, the IEC wrote back to him to indicate that since the by elections were near they could no longer entertain applications for transfers and replacements. When we went on tour those affected in Upper Saloum protested vigorously against the decision of the IEC as conveyed to the campaign manager. We therefore promised them that we will look into the matter.

Foroyaa: What did you do?

Halifa: The following letter was addressed to the chairperson of the commission and copied to the APRC bureau and the APRC candidate for Upper Saloum in the interest of transparency.

Ref: NADD/FA/(3)/01/05

The Chairman,

Independent Electoral Commission,

Kairaba Avenue.

ON THE TRANSFER AND THE REPLACEMENT OF VOTING CARDS

It has been brought to our notice that transfer and replacement of voting cards have been taking place since the seats of the four National Assembly Members, belonging to the minority were declared vacant. However, several people had requested for the replacement of lost or defaced voting cards but were informed that such a practice is not taking place, It is therefore important for the IEC to conduct an investigation into the issue of transfer of voting cards or their replacement.

In short, Section 36 (1) of the Electoral Decree states that "The Commission shall by order published in the gazette, determine the period immediately before the holding of an election when no application for transfer shall be entertained."

Suffice it to say, Section 38 (2) also asserts that "The Commission shall by order published in the gazette, determine the period immediately before the holding of an election when no application for a replacement of a voting card shall be entertained."

We have reviewed the gazettes since the seats of the National Assembly Members became vacant but have not come across any publication dealing with replacement or transfers of voting cards.

It is therefore important for your office to make a public declaration on whether or not such transfers or replacements are taking place so that no side will be disadvantaged by the absence of an official position on the matter.

Moreover, in the interest of transparency and accountability, the Commission should publish the list of the names of all voters who have been transferred from one constituency to the constituencies where by elections are due as well as the list of voting cards which have been replaced in those constituencies, for scrutiny.

While anticipating your prompt and positive response

I remain yours in the service of the Nation

……………………

HALIFA SALLAH,

FOR: NADD EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Cc: Janjanbureh Administrative Area

APRC Administrative Bureau

Mr. Sainey Mbye, APRC Candidate

Mr. Hamat Bah

File

Foroyaa: What was the response?

Halifa: The letter was written on the 16th August, 2005. On the 18th we received a response from the chairman of the commission. In the interest of confidentiality I will not allow you to quote the letter in full. However, the Chairperson acknowledged the requirement for the closing dates for transfer and replacement to be gazetted and proceeded to convey to us that measures had already been taken to gazette August 29th as the closing date.

Foroyaa: So, there is no need for alarm, is there?

Halifa: It is not that simple.

Foroyaa: What do you mean?

Halifa: When we wrote, the thrust of our letter was to prove that the IEC decision to deprive those who wanted to replace their cards in Upper Saloum had no legal foundation. We wanted to further argue that since the IEC relied on the immensity of the volume of the work associated with the by election as a justification to stop the process of transfering and replacing voting cards, we wanted to suggest to them that in the interest of equity, fairness and national justice they should rely on the current head register and its supplimentary registers to conduct the September by election and ignore all transfers after the last supplimentary registration of voters. In the same vein, we wanted to recommend for them to maintain the register of voters in the other constituencies as compiled up to the end of the last supplementary registration of voters. This is the best way to avoid any suspicion.

Foroyaa: Have you conveyed these views to the IEC?

Halifa: We have responded to the letter addressed to us by the chairman indicating the contradictory postures of the IEC for a review.

Foroyaa: Can we get the gist of the content?

Halifa: Well, the Chairperson did express his desire for stakeholders to engage him. We have raised all points of contention in our letter and will report the outcome to the general public in due course.

Foroyaa: What should people do at the moment?

Halifa: The IEC announcement stands until they revoke it?

Foroyaa: People can go ahead and seek replacement and transfers.

Halifa: We will not stop people but I must advise our supporters not to engage in any corrupt transfer practices. Countless number of people from other constituencies are concerned. They believe that the IEC made the announcement to give advantage to the APRC. Our supporters should know that this is not an ordinary by election. The way the IEC was quickly dismantled and reconstituted warrant suspicion. Hence we will be requesting for ECOWAS, AU and Commonwealth monitoring of the by election. There is no doubt that the list of transfers will be subjected to maximum scrutiny and could be the subject of election petitions. We are likely to publish these lists and search for the individuals. We don’t want any of our supporters to find themselves in an embarrassing situation. We want free and fair election.

Foroyaa: So you mean to say that the replacement and transferring of one’s voting card is not just a matter of choice.

Halifa: Replacement in the case of lost and destroyed voting cards is a simple matter One’s name must be in the register before one’s application for replacement is honoured. Of course there are few loopholes which we know how to contain and scrutinize to avoid double registration. We have set up a machinery to scrutinize the registers.

Transferring voting cards is what is prone to unlimited abuse. They attempted it in Upper Saloum in 2001 and failed.

Foroyaa: Who is entitled to transfer his/her voting card?

Halifa: Section 35(1) of the elections decree states that "a registered voter may at anytime, if he ceases to be resident in the constituency in which he is registered as a voter, make application to the commission for his name to be transferred to the register of the constituency in which he has now become resident."

Hence the person who can transfer his/her voting card must cease to be resident in the constituency in which he is registered and must have been resident for a period of one year or more in the constituency in which he/she has now become resident.

Foroyaa: Is the approval of the application automatic?

Halifa: According to section 35(4) the commission shall make such enquiries as it may deem fit to satisfy it self that the application is bona fide.

The commission effects the transfer when it is confident that it is justifiable.

Foroyaa: Is that the only safeguard?

Halifa: When the name of the person is entered in the register of the constituency in which he or she is now resident and the IEC must note the name of the constituency from which the voter has been transferred. Furthermore Section 37(1) makes it a requirement for the preparation of the list of the names of all voters who have been transferred from one constituency to another showing the constituencies from and to which they have been transferred for inspection in the officers of the registering officers soon after the 31st day of December each year.

In our view, the requirements of the law did not envisage transfers prior to a by election. The time available to scrutinise any transfer made in very inadequate. What is feasible is for the IEC to comply with Section 33 (3) of the Elections decree which acknowledges the Authenticity of the head registers together with its supplementary registers.

Replacement of voters cards are acceptable but transfers need more scrutiny than time permits.

Foroyaa: What are you going to do about this?

Halifa: The IEC Chairman has made it public that the commission is open to dialogue. We will engage him and the international community to ensure that the by elections are conducted in a free and transparent manner.

Foroyaa: What are you going to do if the IEC refused to acknowledge your concern?

Halifa: The IEC Chairman issued a challenge to all stakeholders to recognise the capacity of the institution for independent and impartial action. We are ready to engage the commission to ensure that the by elections are free and fair. We will not wait until the elections take place before we struggle against anomalies. We give that assurance to the public.

Foroyaa: You talked about election monitors?

Halifa: This is necessary because of the importance of the by election. The fundamental issue to be decided by the by election is whether the Gambia will have a one party parliament or a multi party one. The integrity of the country will be at stake if corrupt electoral practices prevent free and fair elections. Election monitors help to prevent corrupt electoral practices.

As far as we are concerned we have already engaged the APRC in the Njau Ward and they lost. This is why the President’s pronouncement that the seats will go to the APRC is viewed with suspicion. Many feel that such can happen only through electoral malpractices. This is why everyone is on guard. The attempt to transfer 600 voters from Niamina and other places in 2002 to Upper Saloum is still fresh in the minds of the people. This is why people are highly suspicious of the pronouncement of the President. However, people must temper rational fears with proper scrutiny of the realities on the ground. We must not over play the fears to the point of ignoring the strength of the opposition. Any careful observer can notice that no Gambian will feel safe to have a National Assembly which the president can dominate with an iron fist. Even members of the APRC realise that a country without a parliamentary opposition would be a pariah country in the world and a vulnerable place for illegal
 political activities. People should be calm and explain the fundamental issues to the voters.

This is a mini referendum as to whether Gambians want a one party state or multi party state; a democracy where the parliamentary opposition leads the scrutiny of the performance of government or a monarchy where subservient parliamentarians serve in an advisory capacity to the executive.

Foroyaa: Are you going to sit and watch the Commissioners, the Chiefs, Alkalolu to be used to promote the candidates of the APRC.

Halifa: Organisation is power. We are becoming fully organised to demand the opening up of the media and further prevent the state machinery from being used to promote the interest of one party. We have started by engaging the regime.

Foroyaa: How?

Halifa: The following letter has been addressed to the SoS for Local Government and Lands:

16th August 2005.

Ref: NADD/FA/(3)/02/05

The Secretary of State for

Local Government & Lands,

Banjul.

Re: Politicization of the Local Government Structure

According the Section 138 and 147 of the Local Government Act Chiefs or Seyfolu and Village Heads or Alkalolu are public officers. The same goes for Commissioners.

According to Section 222 of the Constitution "A public officer shall respect and comply with the law and shall conduct himself or herself at all times in a manner which promotes confidence in the integrity of public office."

Paragraph (3) of the Code of Conduct adds that "A public officer shall not, in the course of his or her official functions and without lawful excuse, do or cause to be done any action which is prejudicial to the rights of any other person."

For your information, the Commissioner, CRD has been making public pronouncements for the people of Upper Saloum to vote for the APRC Candidate in contravention to Section 222 Paragraph (13) of the Constitution. The section states that "A person holding an office in the public service or any disciplined force shall not

(a) allow his or her political inclinations to interfere with the discharge of his or her duties;

(b) be a member of, or take part in any association of persons which might prevent him or her from impartially discharging his or her duties; or

(c) take part in any activities which cast doubt on his or her capacity to deal impartially with maters or issues which are the concern of his or her public office or which interfere with the performance of his or her public duties"

The Commissioner did not stop at campaigning for the APRC but had assaulted one Assan Mboge during the Njau By-elections while he was performing his duties as a Polling Agent. This matter is still pending.

It goes without saying that one Amulai Janneh and Chief Malick Mbye are accused of threatening many Alkalolu in Upper Saloum with removal if they allow any milling machine or cement from Mr. Hamat Bah to come to their villages.

In fact, a milling machine that is destined for Sancha Issha is still in limbo because of such a threat. Cement destined to rehabilitate a mosque in Niorro is also in the store of an NRP militant because of the threat that if is it used the Alkalo will not receive any assistance from government. We have in our possession a letter issuing threats to a community leader in Baati Hai for receiving a community cooking pot from Hamat on behalf of the village.

I must confess that the attitude of the public officers is yielding more support for the opposition. However, it is equally giving a wrong signal that public officers are there to promote the interest of a political party. This is against the letter and spirit of the constitution and principle of good governance.

Every Gambian has the right to choose whether or not to belong to a political party. Commissioners, Seyfolu and Alkalolu should not interfere with this right.

It is therefore hoped that you will issue a public notice to dissuade public officers under your administration from acting in ways that allow their political inclinations to interfere with the welfare of villagers and the exercise of their rights.

Your cooperation should be highly appreciated.

Yours in the service of the Nation

HALIFA SALLAH,

FOR: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE NADD.

Cc: SoS the Interior

Commissioner, CRD

Chief Malick Mbye

Mr. Amulai Janneh

Mr. Hamat Bah

Mr. Sainey Mbye, APRC Candidate

APRC Administrative Bureau

Foroyaa: Lastly, someone who wrote in the observer to defend SoS Bala Jahumpa indicated that NADD is an alliance of convenience, that there is no principle behind the alliance, that PDOIS and PPP are wrong bed fellows. Some APRC members questioned why PDOIS refused to form an Alliance with APRC and form an Alliance with PPP?

Halifa: I am sure all Gambians would have cooperated with Jammeh if he were to declare to the Nation that after leading the country for 11 years he has now accepted that the poverty of the people is increasing and that their liberty has not been enhanced and that because of this he would like a National Conference of all stakeholders to be convened to map out the future direction of the Nation. This is what Gambia needs to today, a united front to build a Third Republic where the standards of best practice in governance shall be built. Jammeh has shown that he is not interested in such a development. What he is interested in is to absorb people in his government only to use and discard them.

The alliance however is a United front which aims to give Gambia a good start. It aims to set up a government of National Unity which will not be dominated by any group. This will last for five years. The president will only serve for five years. He/she will not seek a second term or support any other candidate. The parties will then contest on the basis of equity. No one is therefore excluded by NADD. Clearly, even members of the APRC can become supporters of such a united front.

Jammeh wants to be a president for life. NADD is restricting the first president of the third republic to one term and subsequent presidents to two terms. Jammeh wants an alliance like NCP/APRC alliance where one is a toy in his hand. NADD is an alliance based on equality where no party dominates another. This is the difference.

FLOODS HIT SERREKUNDA

By Bubacarr K. Sowe

A heavy down pour of rain, which lasted for an hour on Friday evening, left many residents,, roads and shops heavily flooded, bringing business and traffic to a standstill in most parts of Serrekunda.

A taxi driver who alighted from his vehicle in the midst of the floods complained that the unfinished gutters and the ongoing road construction of the Serrekunda – Mandinaba Highway contributed greatly to the cause of the floods in the areas. He said the only remedy to the situation is to speedily complete the ongoing works on the gutters along the highway.

Another victim whose compound was seriously affected said they have never experienced floods of this magnitude in their residents. He said that some of the gutters did not have passage for the water due to the mountain of rubbish and sand inside in them.

GAMCO SHARE STRUCTURE FINALLY AVAILABLE

In his reaction to a front page story earlier published by Foroyaa Newspaper, caption "GAMCO File Missing at the AG Chambers", in its issue No 43/2005 of 2nd June 2005, Mr Barba Jallow, one of the Managers of GAMCO and a former Managing Director of defunct GPMB, has pledged to give out the shares structure of his company. Speaking to the paper, Manager Jallow said he wondered how the whole investigations and writings could be done by newspapers into the GAMCO affairs without investigation. It was further put to him that if he does not think that it was because of the involvement of public parastatals in GAMCO, Mr. Jallow agreed and further claimed that had GAMCO been contacted, they would not hesitate to give the information out. He further claimed that the investor who owned about 68% of the company has done it in good faith in order to save this country form the problem regarding the buying of farmers produce. Mr. Jallow opined that "We are all aware of the problems of buying
 farmers’ produce over the years." He said that the said investor had paid D136 million of the total share capital of D200,000, 000 most of which, Mr. Jallow said, was spent on the purchase of hardware equipment like milling machines, oil storage tanks etc.

On the issue of the D120 million provided for by the Social Security during the peak of the groundnut buying season, and an extra D57 million Dalasis provided by the parastatals as their contribution, making a total of D177 million. Mr. Jallow claimed that when GAMCO needed that amount, the company was not in position to provide the sum at the time and that when they contacted the Trust Bank, they claimed collateral equivalent to the sum in treasury bills. He said that since GAMCO did not have any treasury bills for the said amount of D120 million, Social Security a co-shareholder in the business, was contacted to do so. He questioned what is wrong in the arrangement, since Social Security has Hundreds Of Million of Dalasis worth of treasury bills with them. Mr. Jallow, however, claimed that as at the 17th day of August 2005, GAMCO has already paid D30 million, leaving a balance of D90 million. He went on to sat that even the balance of groundnuts left at depots countrywide, which
 amounts to 10 tonnes, 922kg, can pay for the balance of the D90 million to the Trust Bank. Mr. Jallow finally gave the share structures as follows:

S.S.F.C 7%

GAMTEL 7%

GPA 7%

AMRC 7%

GCAA 0.5%

GPPA 0.5%

Government 3%

Gam Investment 67.98%

Public 2.2%

SENEGALESE DRIVERS PROTEST OVER FERRY TARIFFS

By Yaya Dampha

As the Gambia Ports Authority increases tariffs on ferry services across the country, drivers on the Senegalese side of the border have been left with no option but to strike.

The current tariff in crease has caused Senegalese drivers to travel all the way through Tamba Counda to the Cassamance, rather than cross at the Yelli Tenda/Bamba Tenda crossing point.

It has been some days since the tariff increase was announced and our reporter has been monitoring and observing the movement of vehicles along the Yelli Tenda/Senoba high way. He has discovered that it is completely empty of Senegalese vehicles.

This reporter spoke to some Senegalese drivers who expressed their utter dismay on the increase in tariffs taking into account the horrible condition of the Soma/Yelli Tenda road including the numerous charges and other miscellaneous check points and payments they claim to make to the police, customs and immigration officers. They indicated to our reporter that most of them have started going through Tamba Kunda to the Cassamance; that because of the long route, the government of Abdoulaye Wade has decided to put up gas pumping stations for the refuelling of vehicles plying the said route. The effects of the strike by these drivers is causing economic loses for many people doing business at both sides of the terminal at Yelli Tenda/Bamba Tenda.

Over two hundred businesses have so far closed at the said crossing point, since the strike by Senegalese drivers. These include food sellers and hawkers, who have had to abandon the crossing point because of lack of sufficient customers. The place is now very lonely.

MAGISTRATE SOWE ACQUITS SUSPECTED HUMAN TRAFFICKERS

The Banjul Magistrates Court presided over by magistrate Gaye Sowe, on Tuesday acquitted and discharged two Nigerian nationals, namely Joseph Okachie and Emmanuel Attahi who were arraigned in court on two counts of human trafficking. The magistrates acquitted the duo after he upheld the no case submission made by their counsel.

In his ruling, the Magistrate said the accused persons were jointly charged by the prosecution. He said the duo was charged with conspiracy to commit human trafficking contrary to section 14 of the Tourism Offences Act. He said the particulars of offence on court one alleged that on the 21st day of July 2001, at Banjul International Airport in the Republic of The Gambia, the accused persons conspired to traffick two Nigerian nationals called Mercy Osajiede and Betty Equavon, aged seventeen and fifteen years respectively.

Magistrate Sowe added that on count two, the accused persons were charged with human trafficking contrary to Section 13 of the Tourism offences Act. He said the particulars on this charge, have it that on 21st day of July 2001, the accused persons brought Mercy and Betty Equaron from Nigeria enroute to Italy for the purpose of trafficking. He pointed out that the accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them by the prosecution.

Magistrate Sowe further said that the prosecution called four witnesses to prove its case. He said the defence made a no case submission after the prosecution presented its case.

He said the defence counsel in his no case submission referred to what he called vital ingredients for a no case submission. Magistrate Sowe said the defence counsel submitted that his clients never brought children in The Gambia. He said the defence counsel further submitted that both Mercy Osajiede and Betty Equavon had informed the court that they are twenty two and nineteen years respectively, and as a result they cannot be classified as children under Section 2 of the Tourism offences Act which defined a child as someone below the age eighteen. Magistrate Sowe further noted that the defence counsel also told the court that the evidence addressed by the prosecution failed to meet the essential ingredient of child trafficking found in Section 13 of the Tourism offences Act.

Magistrate Sowe later decided to uphold the no case submission advanced by the defence. He then acquitted and discharged the accused persons.

CHIEF INSPECTOR JAWO ACQUITTED

By Sana Saidykhan

Chief Inspector Omar Jawo, who was charged with conspiracy to commit felony contrary to Section 368 of criminal code of The Gambia, was on Wednesday acquitted and discharged at the Brikama Magistrate Court.

In his ruling, Presiding Magistrate Babucarr Jawo said no evidence was given to link the Chief Inspector to conspiring to commit felony. Chief Inspector Jawo, before his arrest on the 18th of May 2005, was in charge of the Bansang Police Station. According to the particulars of offence, Inspector Jawo, sometime between the year 2000 and 2003, while posted at the Mandinaba Police Post, conspired with one Lamin Sanneh, to give safe passage to one Ebrima Bah, when he was travelling with stolen cattle and also receding illegally obtained meat from the duo. This was corroborated by the two prosecution witnesses, 1st class Constable Lamin Darboe, and Corporal 692 Peter Jarjue who investigated the allegation but could not adduce any evidence to link him to conspiring.

COLLECTION OF ILLICIT FIREARMS IN THE OFFING

By Musa Jobarteh

The programme officer of WIPNET’s local branch, Adama Ndure, has informed this paper that her institution is coming up with a project whose aim is to collect light arms from people in The Gambia and destroy them in public.

Ndure said the people who surrender their weapons will be compensated with projects that will enhance their livelihood. She said her institution has recently launched a pilot project on the collection and destruction of small arms and light weapons in Koina. Ndure said the project is being implemented in four countries, namely: The Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Republic of Guinea and Senegal. According to her, the project has a "civilian face," noting that it is the civilians who are taking the lead in its implementation. This strategy according to her is aimed at winning the confidence and trust of the community that will benefit from it.

"They will form a committee of religious leaders, women groups and youth groups. We believed that those are the people that can be easily trusted by the community," she remarked.

She said the project which is in four phases, include capacity building, reduction of illicit firearms in the community and arms versus development (This is the process where arms will be voluntarily submitted to the sensitising committee which will give the weapons to the security and their names will not be disclosed). She said the collected weapons will be stockpiled and destroyed in public. She noted that the said community will be aided through projects they identify for themselves.

She further dwelt on the need to rid the Gambia of illicit weapons. She noted that the project also has a competent that focuses on research on illicit firearms in the country.

NADD COMMITTEE IN LRD RENEWED

ALLEGIANCE TO THE ALLIANCE

By Yahya Dampha

On Wednesday 17th August 2005, the opposition members in Jarra and Kiang unanimously agreed on their renewal support and allegiance to the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) and indicated that since the opposition have come to realise the struggle is for a better Gambia. They agreed that if other people in the opposition have decided to put aside by foregoing their Party principles, then, they in Jarra should not be left behind. This was disclosed at their meeting where members agreed that in the forth coming by-elections, their members and supporters should abide by the code of conduct of the Alliance.

Mr. Babanding Jarrah Jobe called on the people of Jarra to continue supporting NADD. He advised them to avoid and ignore some of the comments coming from the APRC, especially the district chairman. He said this were the same comments made in the previous by-elections but that did not prevent the opposition from winning. He said the people of Jarra are peaceful and respectful and no one should be allowed to break this peace.

Mr. Saikou Kinteh called on party members to be cautious of some fools going round spreading false rumours amongst them in order to cause differences among the opposition. He said that NADD should be well assured that come September 29th, the Jarra West seat will return to where it belongs.

Mr. Seedy Bari Saidykhan of Kani Kunda said that the people should be assured that the NADD supporters in his village have increased and that their village members understand that election is not based on relationship but that they’ve seen the interest of the people of the country at heart.

One woman indicated that the vote for NADD in the forthcoming by-election especially among the women folk will be overwhelming because they, the opposition Alliance, are ready to rally behind NADD, to make an end to the high living cost.

On his part, Bubacarr Saidybah, the Interim Divisional Chairperson of NADD predicts that the APRC will lose their deposit come September 29th. He said that a lot of APRC supporters in the division have cross carpeted to NADD and that the APRC camp in Soma have been dislodged. Mr. Saidybah called for a peaceful campaign and "Say ‘no’ to violence." He said that the people of Kabada should realise how the APRC government neglects them when it comes to development projects. He said that politics is not of tribe and region but for the betterment of all Gambians. He finally told the people of Soma to be mindful and that they should refuse to be political tools of leaders who do not have their interest at heart.

Mr. Seedy Sisay advised that concentrations should be given to areas where the opposition lost during the last election so that this time, a difference can be made. He said that the youths of Pakalinding and Jenoi are ready for the campaign and that the APRC will surely lose their deposit.

Other speakers included Lang Karantaba, Jerreh Jobe, Wandifa Jobe and Alhagie Sumareh.

INSECTS RAVAGE OVER 30 HECTARES OF RICE AND MILLET IN JARRA

By Yaya Dampha

Farmers in L.R.D, especially Jarra, are faced with yet another disaster. At first it was lack of rain followed by heavy downpours of rain that destroyed many houses. This time, small insects are destroying crops like rice, coos and millet.

In Jappineh, the farms of Lang Dampha, Baboucarr Mendy, Kebba Lang Sarr and Yeramang Drammeh, and other farms have been totally ravaged by insects. Most of the farmers cultivated rice, coos and millet. Also at the women’s rice nursery fields, almost everything has been destroyed and the farmers are now in great despair.

Mr Yeramang Drammeh told our reporter that he has cultivated over 6 hectares of rice and coos with the help of his wives three wives and that the insects have eaten all the crops. Thereby shattering their hopes for the season. He called on the government to quickly supply them with other early varieties of food crops to supplement the destroyed ones. When asked whether the pest control unit in Jenor were informed.

Similar destruction of farmlands and rice fields is happening in Soma, Karantaba, Sankuya and Kani Kunda in the Jarra West Constituency.

SEEDY FANNEH’S CASE RE-ADJOURNED

WITHOUT HEARING

By Sana Saidykhan

The trial of Seedy Fanneh was again re-adjourned without hearing, due to the absence of the defence counsel, Ousainou Darboe.

When the case was called on Wednesday, the Presiding Magistrate Babucarr Jawo informed the accused that his counsel has a written a letter informing the court that the he was travelling out of the jurisdiction. He stated that he wants the case to be adjourned for four weeks.

Seedy Fanneh is charged with conducting himself in a manner that could result to public disorder and insulting the President of the Republic, he pleaded not guilty to the charges. The case has been dragging in court since August last year. The case is adjourned to the 28th of September, 2005.