GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:52:43 EST
According to the information we have been receiving here also, it appears
that this Dr mark is also using the students he takes to Gambia to line his
own pockets since he houses them at the Romama hotel which he acquired from
his dealings with the Regime. I suggest that we also include a petition to be
sent to the President of Austin peay State University where Mark is, and also
t oTennessee State University since that institution also cooperates with
these guys in sending students. I bet they do not know that this study abroad
program is being used by these people to enrich themselves. Some of these
students have told me that htis Dr Mark is just as sweet as he can be while
recruiting them to go on these trips. However, as soon as he gets thenm out
thee, and even on the way there, he becomes a completely different person,
yelling at students, and barking orders. They said that their rooms had
screens in the windows, but that there were no mosquito nets and the
accomodation was generally very poor. These students said they spent the time
asking why some of the other groups were had nicer acomodations when they
paid the same amount of money for the trip. The going rate istarts at $2800
per student, and Mark gets paid by the university t otaech them the course,
and also houses them at his hotel and lines his pockets.
I think it is about time that the responsible people at these institutions
find out what these guys are up to. Some of these students have told me that
they wanted to lodge a formal complaint about this because they felt that
there was something ethically wrong about the whole set-up, but they could
not get everyone to participate as some of the students were afraid to say
anything.
It is also definitely against the rules to expose these students to any
political situations when they go abroad for these study programs. The State
department does not recommend it, and I am sure the American embassy in
Banjul can confirm this. Not only were these professors busy building
financial relationships with the oppressors of our people, but they were
ferrying students to visits with Jammeh as far as Kanilai.Some of them said
they were scared to death, but could not say anything, and that when they
were being takne to Kanilai, they were never told where they were going.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/4/01 11:10:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,