GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:43:11 -0400
Regarding women dressing in hot climates, though The Gambia is a "hot
cliamte" so is Mecca and Medina.  The trick is to use light-colored
clothes, and material that "breathes" such as cotton, etc.  I can't
remember where I read this.  But I remember one time the discussion of
hijab came up, maybe it was here on the Gambia-l, but someone said
that "hijab is not condusive to the lives of Gambian women, because
they are out working in the fields", or something to that affect, and
the point I took from that was that the person was saying that Gambian
women, for the most part, don't wear hijab because it would hinder
them from the types of work they traditionally do, i.e., farming,
tilling crops, etc.

Surely, you can still cover yourself and do whatever you need to do.
I've heard of women marathon runners, swimmers, etc., and they are not
hindered by the fact that they have to conver certain parts of their
bodies.

There are many types of hijab / head scarves, and it's possible that
you can wear clothing that does not impede you, if you find you are
doing heavy physical work, i.e., running, working outside, etc.

In fact, for me, wearing hijab outside is good for me as it keeps the
sun off my head and face, and I don't burn.  And even if you are not
prone to getting sunburned, it still isn't good for you to have
overexposure to the sun.

This also reminds me of someone asking me at work once "do you have to
wear that out in the burning hot sun in the summer"?  My first
response was that I'd not go and stand out in the burning hot sun, but
that if I was outside, yes, I'd have to wear "it".

The thing is, no matter whether you are modestly or scanitly dressed,
at some point, you're going to be hot no matter what!  I used to wear
shorts and short-sleeved shits in the summer, and I don't think I was
any less cooler than if I wore my "summer hijab" clothes!  You just
have to be careful how you dress.  If you wear light-weight,
lose-fitting clothes, that allow the air to circulate around your
body, and yet still are modest, then you are pretty much going to be
just as cool than if you were to walk out in a pair of shorts and a
tank top.

I also think what some peopel forget is that men are told to be modest
to.  But men don't have as much that requires covering I guess.

The thign is, it's just as "oppressive" to forbid women to cover as it
is to "force' them to cover.  While I believe that hijab is
obligatory, it is up to every Muslim woman to decide for herself.

Ginny

--
Visit my blog at:  http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい