GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:41:00 GMT
Mr Kanteh,

this might be my last posting to you.  I've mailed you privately on two
occasions but got no answer.  I know you might be busy but would appreciate
it if you let me know whether you are still interested in a public debate
with my beloveth 'Saint Halifa'. You've indicated that you were to peruse
our 'bible Foroyaa' at Birmingham Africa Centre.  I'm sure with your
erudition you must be very much prepared to debunk our most revered 'saint
Halifa of Churchill's Town'.

   It is your prerogative not to reply to my mails since my understanding of
the English Lanquage is very limited which will obviously irritate your very
honed mind.  When i offered to facilitate a debate, i was hoping that, as
concerned Gambians we were in favour of openly espousing our convictions at
any public platform.  I hope i will not be reminded that the L is a public
forum.  If the L is public enough for you to get through the minds of the
Gambians,good luck. I just thought there would be no delay on your part to
expose  those 'spineless' politicians with an 'infantile' tolerance of the
buffoon Yahya in another forum. I was humbly thinking that this will be just
an extension of the 'good job' you've embarked on.

Regardless of the anticlimactic disclaimer from you, i still take my hat off
for you in your determined effort to upbraid our so-called intellects. As
you stated, you have no inhibitions in expressing your views about these
so-called intellects of which you lumped my hero, Halifa, i would have
thought then that a face to face encounter will further help your course.

Your intellectual guru, the Russian-born British philosopher,Isiah Berlin,
who dominated the Oxford establishment during his life time penned a very
interesting work on intellectuals, the group you never want to be associated
with.  He observed that there exist two categories of intellectuals:

1) there are intellects who he wrote behave like hedgehogs

and

2) the second group he wrote are like foxes

The first group Berlin observed knew only one thing and all their energies
are channelled towards that one single thing they know,just as the hedgehog
pursues its one  interest.
The second group are fox-like in its interest.  THe fox has got different
ways of approaching it's prey which in Berlin's observation is a better
ideal.

I am starting to see you as a hedgehog with a determined wrath to expose
Halifa/PDOIS/FOROYAA. HAlifa and his party have impeccably proven their
dedication to the upliftment of the GAmbian nation.  I see nothing wrong in
telling people what is right and wrong through persuasion.  If this is
criminal, God help me.   As one of those who you claimed you lobbed your
posting 'Taking Stock' and who cannot in your own words again'see anything
beyond what Foroyaa and our Saintly Halifa tells us' is disappointed about
your seeming silence on the proposed debate.

My endeavour is to learn from those with a better remedy to our countries
woes.  However, i shall opt to join the rank of those who you called
'Programmed Fanatics' and shall remain with our 'beloveth Saint Halifa of
Churchill's Town' until you and your esoteric colleagues(the KBs and Bamba
Laye Jallows who are more concern with the plight of the Gambians) come up
with a coherent formula to get rid of the menace in the Gambbia.  I shall be
praying for him(Halifa) to redouble his efforts in penning more 'posh'
letters to the crack-pot dictator.  'I will again concur to Buharry's piece'
and would like you to answer the questions he asked.  Tell us the variables
we can use to gauge PDOIS's success in the political arena.  What forensic
method did you use to conclude that PDOIS's system of addressing the
problems in the Gambia are 'lamest'?  The onus is on you to prove that
PDOIS's course is a lost one and should help us come away from a discredited
political system.  PDOIS never claimed anything.
Please educate me in the empirical system you use to come to your
conclusions.  Since a critique shall always be forthcoming from you, we also
shall be 'heckling' you to get your attention to lift us from that abysmal
fountain you once guzzled from.

I do want to see you as a clone of Paul 'Loony Bins' Johnson or a Peter
Hichens both of whom suddenly saw the light after being known leftist.  Or
maybe Oxford produces leftist who later repent their sins and welcomed at
the alter of 'woolly' Liberals.

I stand to be educated on better ways to help my beloveth Gambia.

God Bless you my friend.  With concerted effort we can build a better
future. Gambia deserves better.

Sincere greetings,

MBoge