GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Gai-Baldeh, M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:41:58 EST
Hi Tombong,
To the family of Almamo Manneh I express my deepest sympathy in their loss
and pray that his soul rest in perfect peace.
Besides, I am not too sure if I do understand the flow of events in the above
captioned subject, foiled conspiracy and the attempt to overthrow The Gambia
Government. Mr. Manneh on his way to Yundum via Fajara was intercepted by
what i suppose was a security team - is the saying that Lt. Manneh opened
fire without knowing what he was stopped for or did he respond in self
defense? Assuming Lt. Manneh first opened fire at the team, is it not likely
that the causalities would have been more than one person  as opposed to what
is contained in the press release from The Department of State for the
Interior?

With regards to Lt. Sanneh, the press did mention the tossing of grenade at
Security Officers and the exchange of gunfire. Undoutedly under normal
circumstances we would have expected heavy casualties on the side the grenade
was tossed at than reported.  Also the press release did not tell us how the
team got into Lt. Sanneh's house that was reported locked even though he was
arrested.
We thank you very much for reporting the incident in a timely fashion.

God bless The Gambia.

Gai Baldeh