GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ESSA BOKARR SEY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:17:50 -0800
Banka Manneh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Father Mose,
Can you forward it to the Gambia-L too please.  Thanks.  Take care.

Banka.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
[ This e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post e-Gathering by ]

As Gambians living in the Diaspora, we can never turn our back from the Gambia. Clearly, there is an expectation among Gambians especially at home, that it is incumbent upon us to make a difference in the direction of the Gambia. As the Wollof saying “Yakarr” translation expectation is huge. Together, we can organize as a team to face up the challenge of this “Yakarr”. Below is an invitation to all Gambians to Atlanta, Georgia to an organized conference.

Thank you

SAVE THE GAMBIA DEMOCRACY PROJECT

Gambians living in The Diaspora

January 12, 2004

RE: INVITATION TO A CONFERENCE FOR THE INAUGURATIN OF A POLITICAL INTEREST GROUP.

Dear Sir/Madam:

We would like you to join us for a conference in Atlanta, Georgia on S! aturday, February 21, 2004. The purpose of this conference is to inaugurate a new political interest group for all Gambians living in the Diaspora, committed to effect meaningful and responsible change to the political climate in the Gambia.

It has been over a year since the new idea of Gambians living in the Diaspora coming together and organizing themselves in order to play a pivotal role in the future of our country. This new idea brought hope to all Gambians and friends of the Gambia living in the Diaspora. The creation of an organization that will be the voice of Gambians living in the Diaspora was welcomed news and sends a chilling message that in fact we do care what is happening to our country. Moreover, that we are going to organize as a team and we are going to be a force to be reckon with. The heart breaking loss by the opposition in the last rigged General election left all of us devastated and frustrated. It was no secret to anyone that the continuation of the Ja! mmeh presidency would result to the break down of rule of law, continuation of a murderous and oppressive regime, and eventually lead to the collapse of the economy. The new idea was unveiled with its principal objective: the creation of !
a political interest group geared towards increasing awareness about the political, social, and economic issues in the Gambia. Its explicit goal was to raise financial resources to enable us to support a coalition effort, which can lead to contesting and winning the next general election in 2006.

Since then, other efforts have been forwarded on both the Gambia post and Gambia-l, the very mediums that carry and represent the different views of Gambians living in the Diaspora. Below is a statement that is reflective of some of those views: “To restore democratic governance and the just application of law to Gambia, and to nurture institutions of democracy that guarantee inalienable rights to civil liberty and the freedoms enshrined in ! our constitution.”

To all Gambians living in the Diaspora, now is the time to come together and nurture these beautiful ideas into workable programs. The formation of a real organization will enable us to speak with one voice, and build effective relationships with political parties, civic groups and all organizations, that are committed to the creation of a new Gambia. On behalf of Gambians living in the Diaspora, we are looking forward to seeing you in Atlanta.

Yours truly,

Musa Jeng

Conference Coordinator

------LATEST NEWS FROM THE GAMBIA, NOW AT:>>-------
http://www.gambiapost.net/newspaper

Think before you sink!
"Pessimists see difficulty in every opportunity and optimists see an opportunity in every challenge"
"Suits cannot be made without scissors and niddles,so decent minds disagree to agree"