GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:13:53 +0100
ML Jassey-Conteh,

You must appreciate that this issue has become a very complex one. The
position of the UDP leadership is that no member of their entourage has
actually engaged in killing anyone. Their argument is not that as a result
of an ambush there was fighting which resulted in death in self defence.

You may be able to appreciate the difficulty in making statements on this
matter when those charged are still formulating their defence.

I do not understand what you mean when you asserted that I have taken a
neutral ground on crimes against Gambians such as murder, rape, etc. I would
like to think that I have always called for action to be taken when such
crimes are alleged.

You are, however, free to point out any lapses and make recommendations as
to what should be done in any given case. I would definitely like to play a
very constructive role in helping to shape the destiny of this country. If
you are troubled by any posture, you may send me an open or personal mail to
raise questions for explanation.

Notwithstanding, I thank you for having regard to my opinion on national
matters. Through dialogue we may learn from reach other in order to develop
realistic positions on national matters.

Greetings

Halifa Sallah.