GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:52:20 EDT
Suntou,

Like you, I admire and wish to support Pa Nderry. However, when I saw what
our other friend Yanks forwarded, I was very disappointed. I have great regard
for Cherno Baba and I don't think he or anyoneelse deserves such personal
animus  from the editor and proprietor a newspaper especially Pa Nderry and
Freedomonline. Here is an opportunity for you and I to prevail on Pa Nderry to
reconsider manner and fashion to convey his disgust.

A few months ago, when my friend Mr. Sankareh of the Gambia Echo used the
front page of the echo to convey his disdain of your self, I was disappointed
and thought it in poor taste. I shared my opinions thusly with Sankareh and I
am  pleased he reconsidered and yielded.

You have stated below that even though Pa Nderry and Freedom need some
improvement, he ought to be accorded some consideration because 'your man in
Banjul keenly reads Pa'. This is the wrong reason not to advise Nderry in
propriety. Your man in Banjul keenly reading Pa, is a yield of Pa and  Freedom's
value. Your man does not read Pa because he expects to yield such  value.
Therefore, we must advise Nderry that the goal of having 'Your Man' read  Freedom is
both foolhardy and insignificant. Nderry ought to regard 'Your Man in  Banjul'
as another valuable reader of Freedom like CHerno Baba, yourself, and  myself.
To the extent our readings affect our decision making and quality of  life,
Nderry proudly deserves commendation and must be commended. Nderry ought  not
make "Your man in Banjul" reading him to be a goal of any edition of Freedom
online. It is untenable and suicidal for Freedom.

On the other hand, Nderry, Sankareh, Yankuba, Demba, Yero, Baboucarr, Mbye,
Ousman, and Ebrima, ought to be encouraged to build good relations among
themselves and with their readership and contributors. It is a fraternity that
lives off itself and expands its umbrella by the edition. They must all exercise
 due-diligence and restraint and must never be tempted to use circulation as
a  tool to further disharmony and collaborative effort. It is not easy owning
and  or running a newspaper, whether in print or online. It is never easy
growing a  family or nourishing the poor and hungry. It is in the main a thankless
job. If  you please copy this to Nderry Suntou, You and I share this advice
with Pa Nderry, a man we both admire and support. I encourage re-consideration
 of manner and fashion. I urge Pa Nderry to remove the personal chastisement
of Cherno Baba from Freedom's site even as he may be well within reason to be
 disdainful of Cherno. There is more value that can be shared between Cherno
and  Nderry. I also encourage Cherno Baba to consider yielding better
understanding  between himself and Nderry for I know it is not beyond either
gentleman.

In a message dated 4/12/2008 5:16:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,