GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:32:59 EST
This is from the Independent. Hamat Bah has herein expressed my sentiments on
the next elections in the Gambia. In fact my view is more radical. I hope I
have time today to spell out why we should be lobbying for a total boycott of
the farcical process in the Gambia. Till then have a great reading.

Hamjatta

'We will not contest unless the ground is level' – NRP.

The leader of the National Reconciliation Party (NRP), Hon. Hamat Bah, said
that his party will not contest any elections 'unless the ground is level and
free for everyone'.  He said that the NRP will be going only for a free and
fair elections. 'If not we will not contest', he warned.

Mr. Bah, said that although it is 'suicidal' to reveal his party's
programmes, the NRP will go on a 60 day nationwide wide tour. He said they
will visit every village and community all over the country, in order to talk
to the electorate about the NRP's programme.  He noted that 'the NRP will
also make an assessment of the APRC since they came to power, and will argue
as to why the APRC should not be elected'.

He added that according to the information received from the provinces, he is
optimistic that the 'millennium bug that is now affecting the leaderships all
over Africa will no doubt surface in The Gambia'

hkanteh