GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:32:38 -0400
The letter was written on JALI BAA's letterhead. The word "Jali Baa" is
derived from the Mandinka language.  A Jali Baa, as some of us know, is an
oral historian and social critic who  must create the people's anthem,
compose war songs to consolidate the legitimate aspirations of the people's
resistance.  The kind of "Jali" we have the misfortune of listening to
nowadays are the "Butcher of Kanilai's" talking heads/apologists who have
not learned from the massive resistance demonstrated by the courageous
students that their days are numbered.

Appended is a letter we wrote back in 1996 and forwarded to all civilians in
their various ministries as well as the newspapers in existence then.  There
was a lesson in the letter.  Unfortunately, not too many heeded it.  And
yes, the letter to the "Butcher of Kanilai" will be mailed to him and a copy
hand delivered to his representative here in DC.

Jali Baa"Public Opinion Organ for SeneGambians "

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CIVILIAN OFFICIALS IN THE ARMED FORCES PROVISIONAL
RULLING COUNCIL (THE AFPRC)

Fellow Compatriots: We the undersigned are taking this urgent opportunity to
engage and appeal to the conscience of all Gambians, particularly the
civilian officials representing us in an official capacity in the AFPRC
regime.  We come to you, at the most trying times in the history of our
beloved country, to take part in the struggle to avert horrors of
reactionary violence that beset our meager existence in Africa.

The AFPRC has proven to be deceptive and chicanerous.  The murder of Ousman
"Koro" Ceesay (may his soul rest in peace); the deliberate delay in lifting
the political ban while the AFPRC is campaigning; the crafting of the
constitution to protect the AFPRC regardless of any  dastardly  deeds they
might have perpetrated against our people and the recent outrageous
statement made by Yaya Jammeh that  "any political aspirant trying to cause
trouble will be executed and buried six feet deep" is inexcusable and a
testimony to what lies ahead for our country if we do not say enough is
enough, now.  As the old adage goes, "prevention is better than cure" we
must take a principled position against the outrageous and insensitive
behavior of Yaya and the AFPRC all of whom, apparently, united in this
intolerant behaviour.

Subsequent to the July 22, 1994 coup d'etat, the AFPRC's political
maneuvering and their total disregard of the democratic rights of the
Gambian people to engage in political activities betrays the "soldiers with
a difference" image they have been desperately trying to uphold.  It was
you, the civilian officials of the regime who were used to legitimize and
give credibility to their military agenda and it will as well be you with
the positions you take towards the negative unfolding of events in the
country that the AFPRC can be brought to the level of reason or become
isolated.  Walk out and the AFPRC will be exposed as nothing other than the
shallow group of people they have become.

Heedless of the danger, the AFPRC reneged on the original timetable of
events  leading to  "free and fair elections".  Yaya Jammeh and the AFPRC
should heed the lessons of history - that before them were the likes of
Bokassa, Idi Amin, Samuel Doe, and many others who allowed whim and caprice
rather than reason to guide their actions which in turn led to their
ill-fated ends.

We strongly believe that all of you in your official capacity should take a
position against the undemocratic hidden agenda of the AFPRC - tender your
resignations.  Don't be silenced by fear.  You must demand that the ban on
political parties and activities be lifted immediately and that all
political prisoners and all those detained without charge be released.  In a
Reuters News  Agency interview with former AFPRC spokesperson, Ebou Jallow,
in July of 1995,  we were promised that none of the council members will run
for political office and that Yaya would retire and make farming his employ.
These people should be held to their promises.  Leaders do not renege on
promises.  Let us demand that the AFPRC step down.

We are urging all the opposition political parties to boycott the sham
referendum in August and the scheduled presidential elections in September.
We also urge the soldiers who constitute the people power revolution to band
together and support the peoples' resistance and avert another Sierra Leone,
Liberia, Rwanda, and Burundi; such an action will put you down in history as
the first honorable soldiers, sons of Africa to unite with the peoples'
resistance as oppose to suppressing the peoples' resistance.

Yaya Jammeh and the AFPRC should remember that individuals do not make
history at their own whim or to their own liking.  Conversely, we should
never sit by the side-lines and watch history pass us by.

Finally, fellow compatriots, remember that there will always be Gambia after
the AFPRC and a day of reckoning is inevitable.  How would you like to be
remembered in the history of our beloved country?  The final decision is
yours to make and we hope you take an honorable position for the sake of our
Gambia.

We may not be able to agree on many things, but one thing we can all agree
on is to not let "the soldiers with a difference" do more harm to our
country.  The tragedy of what might befall us will not lie in our failures,
but rather in the complacency we exhibit when we have this opportunity to
let our voices be heard against blatant injustices.  We will in all
earnestness  register our support of your position as it concerns the no
military political future of our country.

Yours  Sincerely,

Ousainou  Mbenga
Mbaye Baboucarr Sarr
Soffie B. Ceesay