GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:41:40 -0700
SOLDIERS OF THE GAMBIA ARMY

Soldiers of the Gambia Army it is indeed a reassuring
feeling to learn that there are some of you who have
totally regretted the killing of the innocent children
you were forced to shoot by Yaya. And most of you have
also realized that the despot is making all efforts to
shift the blame on you.  Anyway after clearing his
image, he would then as usual send few bulls with a
couple of thousand Dalasis to each of your camps for f
you to feast on and praise him as the good leader. You
will understand what I am exactly telling you. Anyway
just remember that your hands have been soiled by
children’s blood.

 It is however understandable that you were
inadequately equipped, under prepared, misled and
misinformed that sad day. In the first place you all
know how Yaya has been systematically undermining the
efficiency of the GNA through a deliberate conspiracy
of robbing you of the right equipment, the right
talents and the proper training. And those elite
vampires, freeloaders, and patronage junkies lying all
over to protect their perks and benefits have only
made things look uglier.  The bottom line up front was
that you were sent out that day to control a riot
situation which none of you were ever trained or
prepared to handle in your military careers. In the
first place Ak47 assault rifles should not have been
issued for that civil disturbance operation at all,
let alone arming the security forces with them. On the
other hand I can understand why they were issued,
because there are nothing in your armories to equip
yourselves with for the assignment. That was the first
step to the disaster that later unfolded in the
operation.

Lets be frank to each other, the GNA does not in
anyway understand the proper method of
riot-controlling, neither does it have the means to do
so. If we are to reflect back to the only consignment
of good riot –controlling gears that the GNA ever had,
I could remember in 1998, there were only about 200
gas masks donated by Libya. But like the ten T-54
tanks and the ninety-two 35mm artillery pieces from
Egypt, the APCS, plus all your other good equipment
meant to improve your competence technically and
tactically, Yaya simply took all of them from the
camps and hid them at the State House. The typical
Mobutu Style of securing himself at the expense of his
nation. As ignorant as Yaya is about the dynamics of
heavy weapons however, he does not know that after
keeping those arsenals without firing or properly
aligning them for even six months they permanently
lose their technical configurations, hence rendering
them useless. I may as well advise him to find a
junkyard and dump those tanks and artillery pieces
that have never worked and would never do again.

However the issue here is about you the soldiers.
Yaya is indirectly pointing his fingers to you as the
child killers when he was the very one who manipulated
you into the operations. And unfortunately, your
leaders who should have guided you on the operational
principles of using minimum force under such
circumstances lacked the proper education to do so. It
is no secret that some of you, the ordinary soldiers
are far better educated than your Chief of Staff
Baboucarr Jatta and Yaya Jammeh himself. Nonetheless,
they were the leaders you had depended on to guide you
and of course protect your actions if they turned
unfavorable as in this regrettable case. But look at
them now. Yaya in particular who gave the orders by
referring to the school children as “the bastards who
should be dealt with without mercy”, is now giving the
impression to the world that if he had been in the
country that day he would have prevented you, the
murderers, from killing the kids. Certainly, out here,
most of us very well understand that Yaya led you into
this unprecedented act, quite unbecoming of good
soldiers with the right leadership. For Yaya to
disassociate himself from this massacre should be
termed the betrayal of the millennium. In a war
situation, leaders like him and Baboucarr Jatta are
given hasty court martial hearings and shot like all
traitors deserved.

But by our judgement here, we have already found him
guilty of two capital crimes. (1) He has ordered the
murder of our finest sons and daughters who could have
been our leaders tomorrow; plus (2) he has betrayed
the security forces that acted exclusively on his
orders in the slaughter.

  As a result, I urged you to act. This is the time to
get rid of Yaya Jammeh by all the means you can apply.
Of course, some of you have already registered your
commitment to do it, which if successfully done, would
be the most progressive and noble thing you would have
done for the peace-loving Gambian people. Gambia does
not deserve a person like Yaya.  He has lied in your
names, killed in your names, cheated and stole in your
names, humiliated you and then in this latest
incident, ordered the killing of our children,
brothers and sisters. Yet it is apparent that
dictators like him would foolishly refuse to accede to
popular demand for them to step down and give chance
to genuine democracy to the point of their own perils
and to the extent of even destroying the whole
country. Anyway before this retarded imbecile destroys
the nation you the soldiers must take the initiative.
The removal of Yaya from that seat would be the
greatest service you could do for The Gambian people
and mankind in general. Yaya’s killing instinct is a
mental attitude. And The Gambia is a small family,
peopled by decent men and women who for generations
would not kill each other for any reason whatsoever.
The more time you give to this evil character the
greater risk the Gambian people stand to suffer in the
future.

Remember how it was done in 1994?  If the senior ones
are too timid to do it, let the junior officers do it.
But you must conduct the operation with the genuine
intention of calling the civilians to take over the
political platform in the shortest possible time.
Between us, we all know that Yaya is not a real
soldier. He only pretends to be one when in actual
fact he is the worst person in uniform who has ever
existed in your midst. How many of you have honestly
ever seen the fool firing a weapon, leading a tactical
operation, conducting a land navigation exercise or
going through a BFT? The guy is false in that uniform
but has been hiding behind it with the worst abuses
imaginable.  So GNA soldiers must realize that the day
of reckoning is quite close now, when Yaya and his
cohorts would pay the price of their evil deeds.

You must not allow the outside forces under
mobilization now to come and do it for you. History
would not forgive you for that in anyway. And most
important of all, there are far too many outstanding
intellectuals waiting to come and work for the Gambia
after the removal of Yaya the moron. Some of the best
and finest Gambian brains within or outside the
country cannot be utilized because they are humans
governed by conscience and integrity. Their positive
characters and codes of conduct made them true persons
who would rather die than succumb to the terrorist
rule of a semi-educated tyrant. Helping the Gambian
people lose Yaya therefore is a historical obligation
you must fulfil. That would not only mean rescuing our
nation at the brink of an imminent disaster but should
also be the only acceptable gesture the GNA could make
to restore its former prestigious image. It would be
popular, blessed, respected and cherished throughout
the world from Africa to Europe to Asia and the
Americas. Without that, be rest assured that the
members of the GNA should continue counting themselves
as passengers in Yaya's aircraft to hell where he
would be landing for killing our children.

May god bless you all.

Ebou Colly