GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:48:42 EDT
Joe,

Your response proves that you did not understand the points I was trying to
make and that is just unfortunate.
I think all of us would like to see justice done regarding Jammeh and all his
collaborators, but you speak in the first person as if you are
single-handedly going to take care of these guys. Is that really how it will work or is it
not  a legal system that will demand answers and render punishment to these
people? Will it not be the Gambian people in a democratic process that would
collectively set up any laws for all to abide by, or are we going to send out
possees to hunt people down and kill them  without due process of the law for
committing crimes against us and then declare that we are the good guys? Is the
establishment of the rule of law what you are fighting for or the establishment
of another dictatorship where no one dares say a word because you believe you
have all the answers?

Joe, please remember that none of us is a government or represents a
government, or will even ever be called upon to represent a government at this point.
We are just ordinary Gambian citizens expressing what we would like to see in
our society, and doing what we can to make it a reality. Neither you nor
anyone of us single-handedly have any authority to make anyone pay even if we spit
this out at every turn. What we hope and work for is to be able to exercise
our rights as citizens one day  to vote in a government that will operate
according to the wishes of the majority of the people.
The modality of how one pays for a crime against us is not up to any one
person but to Gambians as a whole, under a rule of law, and if you understood what
you say you are fighting for, you would have understood the points i am
trying to make. Correct me if I am wrong but  I do not think any organization or
government in waiting has delegated you to declare what will happen, and that is
not the kind of society we are trying to establish.

You are quite bent on creating disharmony and divisions by insisting on
implying that certain people make comments only when certain groups are criticized
or attacked. This is divisive, unproductive, shortsighted and not what anyone
who claims to be fighting for the rights of all  Gambians should be engaged
in.

You have made yourself the tyrant of Gambia-L and now, even when people
choose  not to comment on an issue, you will come out chiding people and asking why
they are not making comments. What is that all about? Did you set up this
medium and have you been directing what is discussed here since the onset of this
list? Your endless tirades against people is making this medium an unpleasant
experience Joe, and a better Gambia with anyone that has this kind of outlook
would not be a better Gambia at all.
I raise the issue of human decency in the case of Ebou Jallows' mom and the
need to understand that fighting for justice and human rights cannot be a
selective process, and you have twisted it to mean that I am condescending in my
remarks.
You have also somehow decided based on my  remarks that my position is that
it is  OK to talk about Jammeh but not Ebou Jallow.
How did you arrive at that, and when i use the word "alleged" with regards to
accusations, you also see other motives in that.

Joe, in an orderly society that operates within the rule of law, i think all
justice loving people know that all accusations are  allegations until the
venue becomes the courts of law where the allegations can then be proven by
evidence. No doubt, anyone who envisions operating within the rule of law and how
this process unfolds in all law-abiding societies would not argue against this
point, and would not take it to mean that I am arguing on behalf of Jammehs'
or Ebou Jallow's guilt or innocence.

I think that if you are going to speak out on behalf of Gambian people, it is
imperative that you understand what it is you are fighting for, and by all
means, please stop twisting any comments made by anyone into an ethnic bias, and
trying to imply that they have other motives.
Joe Sambou, some of us started speaking out against this regime long before
your advent on this Gambia-L. We are clear and sincere in our opposition to
injustice and have a clear understanding that the best interest of our people is
served by clear thinking and an understanding of human interactions both
locally and internationally.

Your twisting of our words cannot obliterate what we stand for because it has
been and continues to be abundantly clear to all, never waivering even for a
moment. We can separate the issues and still maintain our stands against
injustice because without that ability humanity would be lost. One has to have the
foresight to blend all of that together or risk becoming a dangerous element
and  a deterent to progress as opposed to being an asset.

I will not engage in any prolonged exchanges with you on this issue  because
you do not understand any of the points I raised and these points, namey
simple human decency and the ability to think clearly are the foundation to any
struggle, and again, it is unfortunate that you have no understanding of these
important points.
Please exercise caution and insight lest you get drowned out by the sound of
your own voice.

Jabou Joh