GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Habib Ghanim, Sr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:52:37 -0800
FYI-  03-21-2000

I have known Imam Jamil for about ten years and what he is accused of is
out of his character in my  own personal opinion and from my  halal
business transactions/relationship

Habib Diab Ghanim, SR

Press Relaese

MUSLIM GROUPS TO MONITOR TRIAL OF IMAM JAMIL AL-AMIN
Islamic leaders concerned that justice is served, facts be
revealed

(WASHINGTON, DC, 3/21/2000) - Leaders of national American
Muslim organizations, along with representatives from the
community of Imam Jamil Al-Amin, held a news conference in
reaction to the arrest of Al-Amin and several others Monday
night in Alabama. Authorities allege that Al-Amin was involved
in a shooting incident late Thursday in Atlanta, Ga., that left
one sheriff's deputy dead and another critically wounded.

A joint statement issued at the news conference read in part:

"We are not here today to judge the guilt or innocence of any
party to this tragic series of events. Just as we do not
prejudge, we ask that others wait until all the facts are known.
In America, as in Islam, anyone accused of a crime is innocent
until proven guilty.

"At this point, the role of the Muslim community is four-fold.

"First, we wish to remind everyone of Imam Jamil Al-Amin's
long-standing role as a community leader who had a positive
impact on the lives of so many people. The charges against Imam
Jamil are especially troubling because they are inconsistent
with what is known of his moral character and past behavior as a
Muslim.

"Second, we want to ensure that Imam Jamil receives proper legal
representation. To that end, we will offer our services to his
legal team in Atlanta. This team will then address all aspects
of the case.

"Third, we will see that his trial is monitored by observers who
will insist that any legal proceedings be fair and impartial. We
also believe that this process can best take place in a location
that allows Imam Jamil to be tried by a jury of his peers.

"Finally, we make note of a past incident in which Imam Jamil
was apparently falsely accused of a similar, though far less
serious crime. At that time, the alleged victim recanted and
claimed that he was pressured by the authorities to name Imam
Jamil as the perpetrator.

"Our ultimate goal is to see that justice is done. As it says in
the Quran, Islam's revealed text: 'O you who believe.  Stand
firmly for justice, as witnesses to God...'" (Quran, 2:135)

                                        - END  -

SPONSORS:

American Muslim Council (AMC)
Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)
Muslim American Society (MAS), Salman Saeed

-----