GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:28:26 +0200
Independent's Editor, Reporter Picked Up By Police
Point News (Banjul)
July 26, 2000

Banjul - Baba Galleh Jallow editor-in-chief of The Independent newspaper, and staff reporter Alagie Mbye, were picked up by police from the Serious crime unit yesterday.

They were released in the evening, after statements were obtained from them, but asked to report to the police this morning.

Sources at The Independent said it was in connection with a recent front-page story headlined "Hunger strike reported at prison," carried by the newspaper.

According to staff of the paper, three persons stormed The Independent's offices around 12 noon on Tuesday. They asked Baba Galleh and Alagie Mbye to report at the serious crime unit.

When contacted, the managing editor of the paper, Alagi Yorro Jallow, said he was informed of his colleagues collection by the police whilst in Banjul, where he was at the time on business.

Upon hearing the news, he said, he contacted the paper's lawyers.

"I had to contact the crime management co-ordinator who told me that they were there for questioning, and had to submit a statement.

He added that they were waiting for the Inspector General of Police to know which charges were going to be preferred against them," he noted.

He said he was still having consultations with their lawyers to get his colleagues released as soon as possible.

"This was not a surprise to me. When the story was published the Interior Secretary called Radio 1FM Sunday News Hour saying the story we carried was false.

"I called to say that we stood by our story," he intimated.

Yorro said they still stand by their story, adding that they feel this move is a continuation of the harassment of staff of The Independent newspaper.

"It would not change our editorial policy. We are ready to defend ourselves in court," he declared.

When contacted, the chairman of the Gambia Press Union Demba A. Jawo, said he just heard the news, and needed time to investigate why they were picked up.

Jawo condemned the act as unacceptable.