GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:34:58 +0000
Gambians in the Diaspora Caution Opposition, Call for All-Out Unity Against
"Anarchy"

Email This Page

Print This Page

The Independent (Banjul)

DOCUMENT
October 1, 2001
Posted to the web October 1, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

Gambians who say they are in the Diaspora have sent a message of caution to
the coalition, calling for their leaders to convene a meeting to thrash out
their differences ahead of the elections. The message spoke of the need for
the Gambian opposition to unite into a single bloc and "rescue our nation
from anarchy".

Published below is the unabridged text of the message.

Our beloved country is at a crucial crossroads. In fact, we have never
ventured out this road in the past. We are presented with a historic, yet
time-sensitive opportunity to rescue our nation from anarchy. At this very
juncture, we should collectively have one goal and one goal only. We are all
well aware of what this goal is. Now more than ever is the appropriate
moment for all opposition parties interested in restoring peace, justice,
and order in The Gambia to be on the same bandwagon. In reality, this is not
asking for too much from parties claiming to represent us (the people).

If we fail to unite and remove the current disastrous and unbearable
administration from power in the upcoming presidential elections, we will
directly be responsible for letting our country continue on its destructive
path. History will forever brand us as the generation of politicians
(leaders) who put personal and party interests ahead of national interest.

We are urging you to take the following initiatives:

1. Schedule a formal meeting immediately to create a comprehensive document
of understanding. We encourage you to put a gag order in effect until this
meeting is concluded to prevent the media from being used as a bargaining
tool.

2. Each party should be given an opportunity to present its requirements for
an alliance. Competing ideas should be examined based on its merits and
voted on. We also urge participants not to walk out if their plans are not
adopted. Remember every issue is subject to negotiation and compromise.

3. Select an unbiased individual(s) to schedule and oversee the meeting(s).
This could be a religious leader, community leader or individual with a
strong moral character and good standing in the community.

We put our collective faith and confidence in our political leaders (you) to
work tirelessly for a united opposition.

Anything less than a united opposition will be ignoring the wishes of your
constituents. Concerned Gambians Abroad