GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:12:20 EST
In a message dated 11/3/99 6:07:15 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< OB,

 I will have to apologise for that. I was re-emphasising the question you
 raised  "Why is Africa the way it is despite, all the "nominal"
 intellectuals we have both within and outside the continent?>

  All what I was saying was, there is a crisis among the  intellectuals, a
 crisis of  nationhood, identity, due to the lack of the understanding of
 the concept of nation, Nationalism and Pan Africanism. ANd until that is
 understood the problems will continue. For that to happen they need  to
 liberate their minds which I believe applies to all of us. We always assumes
 that intellectuals are liberated for the fact that they are
 interllectuals.That is not always the case.

 Maybe we need to revisit their roles in the development of our continent
 through the  positive and negative contributions they have made. Some of
 them seems to be lost or not clear as to their responsibilities  and roles
 in our societies. Or shall I say they are simple dishonest but that will
 still leaves me with the question as to why?

 The Struggle Continues!!
 Ndey Jobarteh

***************************
You know Ndey, l don't really believe that it is so much a question of
dishonesty, as it is a question of just having the wrong focal point. Our
so-called intellectuals are trained elsewhere other than in Africa most of
the time, and the emphasis of their training is not shall we say "Africa
centered"? The point of reference is not Africa and her needs and values.
They were not trianed to focus on this, and l personaly believe that this has
a lot to do with it.We have to learn to apply our training that was obtained
using some else's pof reference to address our issues, and this is like
fitting a large square into a small triangle. We have to arrive at a point
where in learning to do research, and all problem solving tools, it has to be
learned using our own points of reference. Only then can our "intellectual's
thinking naturally focus on our concerns.

Jabou Joh