GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 00:45:50 GMT
Gambia-L:

Another e-mail from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: At least 45 persons missing, arrested and/kidnapped in Gambia
>Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:29:14 GMT
>
>Hello Ebrima,

I sent you an earlier e-mail on the above captioned subject; however, I am
sending you this one, still on the same subject, but with additional
comments. Ebrima, as I said in my earlier e-mail, there are at least 45
persons known to have been "kidnapped", "arrested" and/or "disappeared"
since last week. The situation is extremely grave and people are advised to
take extra precautionary measures against the lawlessness that currently
prevails in our once peaceful country. Yahya Jammeh and his band of
criminals would like to see the Gambia go down the same path as Sierra Leone
and Liberia. BUT WE SHALL RESIST IT. They promised that they would issue a
statement to explain why these people have been "kidnapped", but up to now,
no statement has been issued. Ebrima, the first statement, which was to be
issued on  these "arrests", was so full of glaring lies that even a pupil of
a kindergarten would have detected it. Yahya Jammeh has fabricated a story
to the effect that Lt Jaiteh, Omar Darbo, Alagie Kanteh and Co were
"collaborating with the Americans in an attempt to topple him and his
regime". What a blatant lie? In fact, Yahya even lied by saying that Lt
Jaiteh and Alagie Kanteh were already supplying government secret
information to the US State Department via the US Embassy in the Gambia. But
we all know that he is badly paranoid these days and as a result he does not
even trust his own shadow. And these massive "arrests", Ebrima, also confirm
his (Yaya Jammeh's) hatred for the Mandingoes, Fulas and the Wollofs. So
far, Ebrima, among all these 45 people "kidnapped" or "missing", not a
single one of them is from Yahya Jammeh's tribe. I'll try and send you all
the names of these 45 people as soon as possible so that you can judge for
yourself. This reminds me of an observation Ebou Colley once pointed out on
the L: Is this an "elimination" of the Mandingoes, Akus, Wolofs, Fulas?
Meanwhile, I am taking this opportunity to publicly warn Demba Njie, the
Protocol Officer to Yahya Jammeh that he should be very careful with his
movements, according to my collaborators at the NIA. You are being targeted
for "elimination" because you know "too much about the activities of Yahya
Jammeh", my most trusted collaborator at NIA told me. Secondly, your phone
line is being tapped and your movements are being well monitored because
they suspect that you are the one sending confidential information about the
Government to Ebrima. The fact that you are from Kaur and Ebrima is from
Njau is making Yahya think twice about you. So be careful! Don't say I did
not warn you. I could have told you in private, but I wouldn't take the risk
because I do not know your loyalty. So, Demba, again I am telling you,
through a public forum, that you are being targetted for frame up or
"elimination" by Yahya Jammeh. Ebrima, I better sign off, but do expect more
e-mails from me by tommorrow.