GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Baba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:02:32 +0100
Ams i think you are missing the fundemental issue here. The point is that
you seemed to be calling on people in
the Gambia to demonstrate against the Jammeh regime. Demonstrating against
the Jammeh regime, in the Gambia,
is risky bussiness for a people that are trying to make ends meet. The
question is this: "Will you be willing to make
similar sacrifices in the cause of removing Jammeh from power ?".

There was a call for a demo against Jammeh in the US when he came over with
his entourage. How many attended?
It would be a bonus to the opposition cause if the people demonstrated
against the Jammeh regime. However, one should not ask of people
what they themselves are reluctant to do. It is therefore grossly unfair to
castigate and "Rodent" people when they seem reluctant to agree with your
idea.

I was expecting you to try and win Rodinne over with arguments to back up
what you said. You do not expect people to demonstrate for you in the Gambia
when the first to question the logic of such an action is labelled a Jammeh
supporter and a "Rodent". That, i suppose, is not the Gambia we want after
Jammeh. We should strive for a Gambia where dissent is tolerated, and where
people are won over with sound arguments and not insults. Is that not one of
the sins Jammeh is being accused of?

Do not assume that anyone who disagree with your opinion is pro Jammeh. We
might all despice Jammeh's regime but hold divergent personal views on
issues affecting the Gambia. One should not expect all anti Jammehs to have
the same opinion on every issue concerning the Gambia all thye time.