GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:59:06 -0400
But Roberts should realize that this election is the final straw for
Gambians. There is NO WAY Yaya is going to steal this election. Let Roberts
be prepared for ANYTHING if he continues in this suicidal path of trying to
steal the elections for Yaya. Of course we all know that those ‘security
concerns’ are mere smokescreens. If security officials can mount the polling
stations all day and keep the peace, why can’t they keep the peace when the
ballots are being counted? This is ludicrous and Roberts knows it. And it is
NOT about money either. The APRC government already provided for this
election in Famara Jatta’s budget. The government already begged the donor
community and money for the elections have been provided.

Let Roberts show us the figures. Let him show us how the government is
saving money by having only 43 ‘counting centers’. Let Roberts tell us why
he thinks the security of the country is threatened by having a TRANSPARENT
counting of the ballots. On the contrary, what Roberts and the APRC are
trying to do is what is threatening the security of the country. The vermin
are trying to steal the elections when they already know that the Opposition
has told them in no uncertain terms that this election is ‘do or die’. We
will NOT tolerate Yaya stealing the election.

What logistics does Roberts have in place to ensure the integrity of the
ballots as they are transported from one location to another for counting?
How can Roberts guarantee us that the thugs the APRC are training as we
speak/write will NOT ambush the ballots and tamper with people’s votes?
These are the ‘security’ issues that should be preoccupying Roberts’ mind.
Why is it necessary for the APRC to train thugs to disrupt the election?
What did Roberts learn from APRC conduct following their defeat in the
Baddibu by-election? Instead of trying to contain APRC thuggery, the vermin
is trying to use other methods to steal the elections.

If I were a decision maker in this Alliance, under no circumstances will I
allow Roberts to steal this election for Yaya. We should NOT allow for the
ballots to be transported. Roberts CANNOT guarantee the integrity of the
ballots. He is NOT honest. He agreed to on-the-spot counting until his boss
(Yaya) vetoed the idea because he wants to steal the elections. We should
NOT trust Roberts. No matter what promises he gives, he is NOT going to be
fair. We should take our fate into our own hands and not rely on Roberts.
KB