GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sidi sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:09:35 -0800
Essa,
I hate to butt in at this stage but Ms. Ylva Hernlund
has been providing me, and I am sure many others, very
valuable links to facilitate our work. In my case, she
has provided me with information and contacts which
have greatly enhanced my work. Those of us in the type
of business I am in cannot afford to ignore the
actions of the US. Let me give you an example, on the
9th March this year,the International Financial
Institutions Commission established by Congress to
review and, indeed re-focus (and some might even argue
"re-define") the roles of the World Bank and IMF and,
in the process re-define the role of the African
Development Bank and ALL other Regional Development
Banks, submitted its report to Congress. On its own,
this congressional action is purely an American affair
but its implications go well beyond her shores; as
many of Congress' recent action with Helms at the
helm. We may not like it but the US is running the
show, for now at least, so we might as well get use to
the idea while ensuring that Africa's interests are
protected and preserved. For those who are interested
in getting more information on the Meltzer
Commission's Report can visit its web site
http://phantom-x.gsia.cmu/IFIAC The Commission's
Report was the subject of BBC hour-long phone-in
programme last sunday. For your information, the
majority of the callers and e-mailers were Africans
concerned about the far-reaching implications of the
Report's recommendations on Africa.Mr. Wolfensien was
the guest.
The United States business is our business, it is the
world's business. Personally,I wish to express my
sincere thanks for the services being rendered by Ms.
Hernlund. Please keep it up. For Essa, I am only
expressing my genuine desire for everyone to recognise
the importance of not letting the US have it's way on
just about everything, particularly those that
directly affect us while we sit back and watch
helplessly. I hope that you will join in this
endeavour. Thank you
Sidi Sanneh

=== message truncated ===