GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:41:10 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to be bringing this topic after all this while.  I've been meaning to
write, but just never got around to it.  I am, as the saying goes, always a day
late and a Dollar short.  Please pardon me.

But before I get to the Radio One FM thing, I would like to express my sincere
thanks to Saul Khan for not only attending the ADNA meeting earlier this month
(Aug.), but also taking the time to report to the list.  He did us all a great
service by attending a meeting where a lot of organizations of substance, and
good intentions for Africa discussed issues of mutual concern.  It is also
important that Saul took the trouble to ensure that to help put the Gambia's
plight on the agenda of these organizations.  We can only hope that Saul's
attendance of the ADNA meeting will help us in our fight for the rule of law in
The Gambia.

And now the attack on Radio One.  I would first like to join the many of you who
have expressed your outrage at hearing of this yet another callous act against a
Gambian media outlet.  It is unfortunately another example of the depths to
which The Gambia is descending in terms of respect of human rights, and the rule
of law.  Coming, as it does, after the abduction of Dumo Saho, as well as the
arrest and continued detention of Mr. Saho and others, it is a reminder to all
of us of the extent to which the Jammeh government will go to subdue any and all
who they suspect is a threat to their rule.  We'll just have to keep doing all
we can, and be prepared to wage a long-term struggle to restore democracy and
the rule of law in The Gambia.  Fortunately, history is on our side.

And from all indications, we are also winning the battle for the hearts and
minds of the rest of the world in our struggle for a prosperous Gambia where the
human rights and the rule of law are respected.  When I read the posting below
from Dagmar, I called Sophie Ly, a Senegalese, and the Secretary General of
AMARC (http://www.amarc.org), the World Association of Community Broadcasters,
to inform her of the attack on Radio One FM.  I met Sophie last July in Madison
when she came her to attend the Grassroots Radio Conference (GRC).

I asked Sophie about AMARC's reaction to the death of Omar Barrow at the hands
of the Gambian security forces during the April demonstrations. She told me that
they were aware of the events, but unfortunately could not do much for someone
who was dead.  Which was the stark truth.  However, Sophie said, they were in
contact with George Christensen, the owner of Radio One, and who is in fact a
member of AMARC.

By sheer coincidence, Sophie told me when I called her on Thurs. (the attack on
Radio One was earlier that day), that she had talked to George on Wedns!  So you
can imagine how shocked she was on learning of the attack on Radio One.  I
followed our phone conversation with a e-mail which included the posting below
from Dagmar.  I also provided Sophie with Dagmar's phone number, in the event
she wanted to call her about George's condition.

Another AMARC person who I met at the GRC in Madison is Elizabeth Robinson, the
North American Representative on the AMARC Board of Directors.  I've actually
exchanged e-mails, and talked to Elizabeth well before the GRC in Madison, and
she mentioned George's name to me.  So it was nice to finally meet her in
person, and talk AMARC and general radio stuff.

I was going to contact Elizabeth also to inform her of the attack on Radio One,
but it seems that Sophie must have informed her, or she must have heard about it
from another source.  Last week, the following AMARC Alert was sent by Elizabeth
to the GRC mailing list.