GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:28:57 -0000
Ansumana:

All that you said about "Jobe" has been confirmed to me by a friend, who is
an ex-MOJA member. "Jobe" is a better debater than the rest of the Jammeh
cronies, but one of my sources was telling me that Jammeh was complaining
the other day, that Sarjo Jallow is a very good/intelligent speaker, but he,
Jammeh, is less impressed with his writings. So let's wait and see how their
relationship will end.

Yes, I can do satires, but I am more interested in writing about the burning
issues in my country than doing satires. However, since there are one or two
people on the L who are interested in reading satires, it is now my
intention to send satires to the L from time to time. You see, there is a
lot of hidden talent in the Gambian community the world over, especially
among our women folk. We just need good leadership at home that can tap all
these potentials.

For example, I was having a chat with Professor Arnold Hughes the other day,
and he told me that in his view, our own Dr Jabez Ayo Langley is one of the
best scholars from our Continent, but how many of us really know Langley? He
said if Langley had continued in academia, he would have been a Professor a
long time ago.

The late Ebou Dibba was also highly rated by staff at the Centre of West
African Studies, University of Birmingham. By the way, I thank Katim Touray
for forwarding the tribute to Ebou Dibba by Kaye Whiteman. It was a fitting
one. In fact, I told his friend at the Centre, Dr Stewart Brown, about Kaye
Whiteman's fine tribute in the Guardian Newspaper.

Saul Khan: Just keep up the good work you are doing! Don't mind the
detractors! We know that, like other Gambians elsewhere, you are a hard
working Gambian with a good sense of justice and fairness.

Ebou Colley: You too should keep up the good job you are doing. Your
perspective on the Gambian army is always invaluable. Researchers on the
Gambian coup and its aftermath are grateful to you. By the way, if you
remember well, Brother Saul Mbenga once wrote on the L that the Jammeh spin
doctors, including Sedat Jobe, Sarjo Jallow, Fatou Jahumpa and even Jammeh
himself and others had a meeting about us, in which the decision was taken
by them, that they should also be on the offensive by attacking our persons
and our families on and off the L.

Well, one of my sources has confirmed what Saul Mbenga wrote. Indeed such a
meeting did take place and the aim was that if they attacked our families,
then they believed that we would unsubscribe from the L. Anyway, let them
continue to remain idle dreamers!

My Fellow Gambians: I'll soon resume my series of messages to all Gambians
and I hope, as usual, they would be well-distributed in The Gambia. By the
way, there two important letters written by Claire Short, the British
International Development Secretary, on The Gambian political situation. She
addressed one to Yahya Jammeh himself and the other one is addressed to The
Gambia's development partners. I have not seen a copy of the letter she sent
to Jammeh yet, but I have got a copy of the letter she addressed to the
Commonwealth. And I intend to send an abridged (to protect my source in the
Commonwealth Office) version to the L at some point.

Meanwhile, the struggle continues as my sister would often say!

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK