GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matthias Greywoode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:39:27 GMT
Sorry guys for the first mail. I meant to forward Ebou Jallows latest
bombshell from Gambianet. Here it is as follows. Mr. Camara please take
note. Thanks.

Author Ebou Jallow (Jambarr)

Topic:   Korro Ceesay's Death- What really happened

It has come to my attention that a lot of people are
very interested in knowing the whole story on Korro's
death. I am constantly being rebuked for not coming
out earlier to expose the whole story whilst I was in
Government; but I believed then timing was very
important and besides it would have been suicidal
and the whole truth would have been buried with me
forever...

Now here is the story- I first had the oppurtunity to
know Korro on a diplomatic mission to the UN. He
was then an undersecretary at the Ministry of
Finance, since then we became very close friends. I
had alot of admiration for him, he was exceptionally
smart, full of ideas and very enthused about our
revolutionary cause. Being a young man like myself
we bonded easily. Immediately after that mission,
Yaya wanted to reshuffle his Cabinet, and Korro
became a very favorable candidate. Korro was a star
in the Council, personally he felt like a brother to me
and we consulted on issues and I use to admirably
call him SERRING DARRA. But obviuosly not everyone
in the Council was happy with him. Edward Singharty
felt very threatened by the amount of respect and
admiration that Korro enjoyed from all of us including
Yaya. Eventually his envy and insecurity turned to
paranoia, that Korro might eventually be a prime
candidate for No. 2 after the Elections. Besides
Singharty never like the idea of us resigning from the
military but Yaya was his main obstacle and he
couldn't get my support to derail the process by
overthrowing Yaya. Unfortunately enough, Koro
became too overzealous and made some few
misstakes by sometimes bypassing the whole Council
in making decisions on his own and later informing
Yaya. Of course this angered all of us and gave
Singharty enough ammunition to alienate Koro from
Yaya and the rest of us. Korro further aggravated his
relations with Singharty with some petty
confrontations which Singharty, being the type he is,
saw as a personal vendetta and vowed to avenge.
As time went on Korro's circumstances deteriorated
to a point that Yaya asked the SG then Abou Wadda
to draft a letter firing Korro. This occurred on a
Tuesday morning in my presence. I left for Libya on
Wednesday morning. On Friday that same week,
Yaya left for Cairo and on that same fateful evening
Koro was murdered. I first learned about it from
Gaddafi himself who was utterly disturbed and he
told me point blank that I should tell Yaya to quit
this nonsense. I was very confused myself and felt
really stupid.
I returned to my hotel room after meeting Gaddafi,
and called my wife immediately. She told me that she
couldn't sleep the night before (meaning Friday)
because all the Guards at Yankuba's House were
abruptly told to come to my Residence at Fajara
cause there is some suspicious activity at the
coastline. She later told me that Aja, Singharty's
wife urged her and Ma'amie, Yankuba's wife to all go
immediately to State House No. 2, Singharty's
Residence for an impromptu house party. They
stayed there all night until Singharty, his brother
Peter, and Yankuba all came in with mud and gas all
over their body, and looking very worried. I was
confused but maintained my calm until this morning, I
flew to Geneva enroute back home. At Geneva, I
joined the same Swiss flight with Jammeh who was
also returning home from his trip. Jammeh told me
almost everything that happened but then cut it
short cause he was quarrelling with his wife then Tuti
Faal. He told me to meet with him as soon as we got
back home. At the statehouse Jammeh briefly
mentioned the Korro's death then said that he was
very tired and would like to have some rest. I
insisted to talk him and Lamin Barjo also decided to
stay. Only three of us and God, I and Barjo told
Jammeh that we cannot be part of what happened
and He Jammeh should do something about it. We
told Jammeh that what happened was outrageous
and He should distance himself from this savagery if
he wants to preserve his honor. Jammeh sat there
looking shocked, dissapointed and helpless. After a
long silence we decided to leave him alone. The
same night Singharty invited me over to his house
with Yankuba, and after a few drinks, he narrated to
me in fact laughing how they fooled Korro by inviting
him to Yankuba's house, hit him on the head with a
baseball bat and shot him in the head at blank range.
They later took the dead body to the woods and
burned it together with the Mercedes. Peter got
burned in the hand cause he was late to withdraw
from the fire.

My fellow Gambians this incident occurred in our
beloved country. The murderers are still walking
proudly in the Streets of Banjul and protecting
themselves with a worped constitutional law of
indemnity yet persecuting honourable Gambians with
various Commissions of Inquiries, investigations, etc ,
etc.......

I have a couple of questions. Did Singharty know
that Koro was going to be fired? If so it seems
pointless that he would have to kill him. Also
according to your version of the story, Jammeh had
nothing to do with Koro's death. So why has he not
exposed those involved? Being the cunning politician
that he is, it seems punishing the trio would be a
good way to earn some brownie points from the
Gambian public.

Author Ebou Jallow (Jambarr)

Singharty was aware of the fact that Korro was
going to be fired, but according to what he told me,
in the presence of Yaya, and the rest of the Council
Members, he alleged that Korro was planning a
palace coup with the Ghanians, and his plan was to
poison Yaya. But knowing Singharty very well I found
that very hard to believe. His only motivation for
killing Koro was pitched by pure hatred and poor
judgement.

As far as Jammeh is concerned, I will be very honest
and a little bit prudent in pointing fingers cause he
never admitted to me that he had full knowledge of
what happened; fair enough but Singharty himself
made the confession and all five of us are
consciously aware of it. So him being the Head of
State enthrusted with all power to do justice to all
Gambians without passion or prejudice should have
taken approriate measures to bring Singharty and the
rest to justice like any other common criminal.
Obviously Korro did not commit suicide nor was he
murdered by any green men from space. There is a
lot of direct evidence pointing to the AFPRC
concerning Korro's death and a lot of people, like
Yaya, Lamin Barjo, Yankuba, our spouses, the
Guards...., can reinforce my statements if they
believe in God.