GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:49:29 +0100
Fatou Jaw Manneh,

I agree with you, my sister. No one should be sitting on a fence at this
moment when our country requires decisiveness. I believe I met you in
Washington. I have the impression that I responded to your question whether
we were ready to unite with other opposition parties to tackle the Jammeh
Government. I remember making a very categorical statement that political
parties try to test their political weight by seeking the mandate of the
people; that it will not be fair to tell other opposition parties to support
a PDOIS candidate for the presidential election in the name of unity, but
that PDOIS would be most willing to unite with all opposition parties who
are willing to support Sidia Jatta's candidature in any  presidential
election.

Furthermore, I had made it very clear that the present constitution provides
for a second round of voting; that this is the time for political parties to
forge united fronts based on agreed agenda for the united front; that PDOIS
is open to the establishment of such united fronts when the situation
arises. I hope our position is clear now.

You wrote: "In a simple sentence I ask, what are you doing now to unite with
the other opposition parties to tackle the Jammeh Government? That is what
you should be busy doing for us now. Not sitting on the fence, with your
tactics and responding to any Little criticism directed at you."

Are you saying that I should desist from responding to the views being
expressed by Gambians and others? I am sure the woman I met in Washington is
more enlightened and tolerant that that.

You would recall that I emphasised that if there is to be any transformation
in The Gambia the people themselves must take centre stage. This is
precisely the reason why I am taking each of you very seriously. I am not
the least offended by anything that anyone of you may say and I appreciate
every effort being made to work out a realisable agenda to ensure the
transformation of our country into a land of liberty, dignity and
prosperity.

Do you have any other proposal which is different from the position I have
already elaborated on unity among the opposition? If so, you are free to
transmit it for further review.

I know that Mr Jassey-Conteh did take the initiative to convey some
suggestions. This has been taken at an official level. In fact, it has been
a part of the agenda of one of our meetings. As soon as a decision is taken,
an official letter will be forwarded to him.  You are entitled to the same
treatment.

Please bear in mind that those of us who are trying to struggle against male
chauvinist tendencies have great respect for women. Feel free to give any
constructive criticism for our consideration.

Greetings.

Halifa.