GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Manneh PF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:33:41 -0700
I am going to bed but here is a quick reply,
Mr. Ceesay, i fervently support on-spot counting provided that all the
counting will be done at the same time throughout the country or within the
same district. I also believe that it is far more better than centralized
counting.
Mr. Ceesay, i always challenge you to tell me any kind of rigging that can
be done/was done on election day without the knowledge of election
officials, party agents and electorates. Everybody is vigilant on this day.
No stupid person will dump votes from a UDP box to APRC box. I know it will
take 100s of hours of civic education to convince Gambians that this is
impossible under the current conduct of election procedures. The ballot
boxes are always with Polling Agents from various political parties up to
the counting center and the convoy includes the Presiding Officer, Asst.
Presiding Officer, Polling Clerk and a Police Officer. UDP had their Polling
Agents in all except one Polling Station in CRD and they all signed at the
Counting Center in the presence of their party's Counting Agents that the
boxes arrived safely.  No discrepancy or malpractice was reported. The
incident that happen in Mansakonko would have several eye witnesses
including yourself to testify in case of any litigation by a political
party. I guess no one contested that result because it was a referendum.
The Mansakonko crisis during the referendum was absolutely wrong. They
should not kick you out of the counting room. But i wonder who verified and
certified the results because that should be your job and the assistant
Returning officers and i can't remember Fatima making any such report at our
review meeting in Kanifing. I have instructed Major Bojang to get out of the
counting center when he refused to comply with the presidential decree
governing the counting of votes. After a heated argument and a delay of
counting for about an hour, he agreed to take an oath and send all uniform
service men and NIA officials out of the room. Inside the counting room was
only PIEC OFFICIALS, COUNTING AGENTS and Major Bojang as a state witness. In
fact allowing him to witness the count in his military uniform was a serious
bond of contention but i finally yield after an appeal from ASP Baldeh who
happens to be the security head for Janjanbury Administrative Area during
presidential election. Everybody went out of the building on my instruction.
I know we were not very prepared during the referendum. There was also a lot
of intimidation from security officials and unfortunately the opponents of
the constitution were not strong to observe and protest every single
malpractices that happened. I had a lot of clashes with the then chief of
Foni Bintang and the Station Officer in Sibanor. like you, I was also
arrested and detained briefly at Sibanor police Station when i could not
agree with the Chief and the Station Officer on how to transport ballot
boxes to Brikama for counting.
MR. DAMPHA, I got your points. As i always say, i wish i have your
eloquence.... Anyway, I just don't think that confrontation will solve this
problem. If the oppositions can't get the on-spot counting, is it not a wise
idea to workout standard procedures that will ensure a true and fair
centralized counting? You see, one problem we have in Africa is that our
policy makers always fails to workout alternative plans. If "plan A" cannot
work, we should have "plan B" ready for implementation. This will avoid
conflict and war!
Finally, from my experience with the conduct of election in The Gambia, i
will advise the opposition to concentrate more on ensuring free and fair
campaign at this time. No more crapy campaign! Cheatings on election day
cannot happen behind close doors. Gambians have right to challenge any
election results in court.
Cheers
Lamin PF Manneh