GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:59:52 -0400
Not long after the peaceful demonstration to commemorate the Massacre of our
children on April 10 and 11, 2000, we have APRC cronies coming to G_L and
elsewhere to credit the APRC for permitting the students to hold a peaceful
demonstration. I hope people realize how sick these APRC cronies are. Now we
should commend Yaya for allowing us to exercise our God-given and
Constitutional rights. Talk about ALES. The next we know, they will be
commending Yaya for allowing them to breath the fresh air in Gambia. Now
when Yaya does not unleash his brute machine on defenseless children
exercising their constitutional rights, Yaya is doing us a favor and
deserves a pat on the back.

But while those cronies were singing Yaya's praises, they forgot to mention
that student activists were being rounded up and interrogated by Yaya
security personnel. So much for 'reconciliation' and 'forgiveness'. What the
reports from Yaya's cronies failed to mention, was that Alhajie Nyabally (a
student activist) was abducted and unlawfully detained for views he
expressed at the commemoration ceremony. The man gave a factual observation.
Mild characterization of the vermin if you ask me. And for the views he
expressed, he had a visit from the NIA that used Gestapo tactics to try and
silence Yaya's critics (truth-tellers). He was kidnapped and detained
incommunicado for two days. Like in the Dumo case, no one seemed to know
where the gentleman was. In cases like these, the 'abductee's' family is the
last to know whether the victim is dead or alive. Police pleads ignorance.
NIA pleads ignorance. Government ministers and cronies pretend that nothing
has happened. But we know better. We know that the country is in a state of
siege. No one can stand in public and call Yaya a hypocrite without reprisal
from the NIA. No matter how you slice it, we have a Dictatorship at home.

But we shall continue to call the vermin what he is. He is worst that a
hypocrite. He is a callous cold-blooded murderer that will not hesitate to
use children to further his political ambitions. A low-life that cannot move
the country forward. We shall continue to showcase their brutality and we
vow NOT to permit Yaya cronies to sweep the Alhajie Nyaballys of this world
under the carpet. The plight of people like Nyabally should be the concern
of all decent Gambians. It is wrong for a citizen to be kidnapped by Yaya's
men simply because he had the guts to speak the truth. We will not let
Yaya's cronies convince us that this kind of lawlessness is tolerable so
long as the government is engaged in some 'development projects'. We expect
a leader that can develop the country but will not subject our people to
such misery as Yaya is visiting on our people.

I hope Mr. Nyabally was not tortured. Evil cannot conquer good. Nyabally and
all the victims of this illegal government, will get the justice they
deserve one fine day. Let us just persevere and continue to speak out
against the evil in our society.
KB