GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yeks drame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 00:27:58 PDT
I sympathise with your frustration brother! but the classical argument to be
put forward is the essence of the medium. Language is a human resource that
can contribute greately to the development of mankind.

Consider this: I gained my accademic background in Sweden, therefore
"supossed" to be fluent in Swedish.If I have to choose, possibly I may
prefer to write in Swedish,categorically to effectively prounced my message.
What about those born in Sweden, France, Germany and identifies themselves
as Gambians? I have never read some where, at any time that Gambia L. was
suppossed to be for those Gambians who speak only English, or have I missed
the point? There are non english speaking (or non fluent) Gambians on this
list, very resourceful and cerntainly desrve to be heard!

The importance of language cannot be express in words.I mean if our
languages we speak back home, those languages we dream in, formulate
meanings were written mediums, we could have understand each other better to
an extend know our neighbour better.Imagine what a resource that would have
been! Admidttedly, language can play an essential role in the individuals
development, socially, economically and politically.Therefore, Senegal being
our immediate neighbour naturally justifies why some Gambians should even be
experts in a  languag like French.

Certainly, I am well aware that we are not lenient in learning other
languages.Despite I speak, some French, Arabic and understand the Nordic
languages, I wish I could speak some more other languages.We cannot
understand the importance of language untill the jeopardy arises.With
personal exprience at a recent study visit I did at ESSEC- Cornell
University in Paris, proved this argument futile.

What I want to say is that, all these languages we are exposed to are
treasures that we must utilise in an effective manner. We must take the
opportunity to entertain the value of this richness of variety.We must
remember that the world is not uni-Lingua. And by the way who says that the
Language of instruction in the world should be English?

Yahya