GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:54:58 EST
Date:       Sun, 4 Jun 2000

From:       ebou colly <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:    GAMBIA GOVERNMENT DOING WHAT IT IS BEST AT- PEDDLING LIES AGAIN

What has become of the officials of The Gambia government? They must be
living in some kind of delusion making them think that they can fool the people all
the time, even if they have to peddle the most stupid lies imaginable. In the
killing of the armless Gambian school children they tried in vain to dribble
the public with all kinds of tricks, if I may borrow a football metaphor here.
They first tried to lie about rubber bullets being the only weapons used by
the security forces; that was soon discarded, for the evidences in the public’s
eyes showed otherwise. They then tried the
school-children-breaking-into-the-police-armory one, another story too farfetched for consumption. Then they hit
the final and most ridiculous one about the criminals taking the weapons and
killing the children. All these were eventually dumped for lack of
credibility.

Now, the government has again come up with fresh ones about the latest
Guinea-Bissau-military-training- team fiasco. After blowing themselves up in a
secret attempt to train the State Guard troops on how to use those archaic rocket
launchers, the Gambia government officials again think that they can deceive
the public by giving out false information on the matter. Their late press
release on the incident stated that the Bissau soldiers were training the GNA
soldiers on peacekeeping role they are to perform in Sierraleone soon. The military
training program is said to have emanated from a bilateral agreement between
Banjul and Bissau, an agreement that seemed to have been totally hidden from
the Gambian public. Or is it safer to say that I am the only one who didn’t
know or hear about this recent Gambia-Guinea Bissau defense agreement up to this
level where troops from the former Portuguese colony were deployed to The
Gambia? By government protocol however, sighting that of the one with the British
Army in 1984, the Turkish Army also in the 80’s to the Nigerians’ in the 90’
s, government had always made it a point of duty to officially inform the
Gambian public of all the implications.

But in this Bissau agreement, the only news I once read about it came from a
confidential report once posted in the G-L- I can’t even remember the
source-saying that Guinea Bissau and Moroccan troops were now the close protection
guards of Yaya at Kaninlai. I think that report was condemned by some Jammeh
loyalists as false and unfounded, leaving many people doubtful of the informer and
his information. I wonder whether the private news papers in the Gambia ever
made any attempt, in the light of that sensitive information, to investigate
the Government about it; and if they did, I would like to know what the
government’s position was on the matter. Anyhow, considering the nature and
implications of Guinea-Bissau and Morrocan troops secretly contracted by The Gambia
government to come and work in the country in any capacity, it would be would be
more likely for that story to attract doubters than believers to necessitate
further investigation. We are all aware of the Guinea-Bissau and the MFDC
connection which has been one of President Wada’s biggest international concern
lately and the strong denial that Yaya has been propagating all over to prove
that he had nothing to do with the rebellion. In fact it was on his no-nonsense
crusade for permanent peace in Cassamance that Wade few weeks ago made that
bold and correct statement that Banjul and Bissau have been acquiring arms from
Libya all the time. It was a disclosure that triggered angry reaction from Dr.
Sidat Jobe whose ignorance around his master Yaya is turning him into a
reckless government-mouthpiece. I understand Dr. Jobe even came out public stating
that he was going to challenge his Senegalese counterpart in an ECOWAS meeting
in Nigeria on President Wade’s “allegations”. Well, I don’t know whether he
has returned from there, but I hope the news reporters would make a follow up
on that and ask the secretary of state how he could explain the origin of the
suicidal rockets the State Guard were testing with the Guinea Bissau
technical- buffoon team. Yes I called them buffoons, because to operate “Katusha”
rockets one has to be able to read the instructional manuals and, of course- most
importantly- the safety measures that go along operating them. Most of the
Bissau soldiers are merely robotic illiterates including their General, Ansumana.
They can follow routine drills to perfection but are very deficient in talent
and modern knowledge. Was it not Yaya himself who during the Bissau conflict
said on national TV that General Ansumana Manneh should not rule Bissau
because the Junta leader had no education whatsoever? Why then should Yaya go back
to this same person he once openly ridiculed for his lack of education to send
him his disciples to train the Gambian soldiers who are far better educated,
is a question that seriously baffles me.

Anyway, the fatal testing of the “Katusha” rockets has helped in revealing
another dangerous deception perpetrated by the Yaya regime. It has shown that
in secretly encouraging Guinea-Bissau troops to be working directly for Yaya in
The Gambia, Gambia can no longer claim neutrality in the Cassamance conflict,
which Senegal fully understands now. Their main contention was that the
rebels are based, trained and equipped in Bissau, but with this the Bissau forces
could now be categorized the same as the GNA. . It is also clear that the “
Katusha” rockets acquired from Libya for Yaya’s personal use were at Kaninlai and
that one of the three trucks they were supplied with is now destroyed. And
some of those who tried to fire the weapons got killed in the process. There
should be two more trucks left which I am waiting again for the suicidal fools
Yaya might send to try and fire them at Polodi range. I doubt as to whether the
Moroccans would agree to do it at all. If the Libyans who supplied them would
not fire the weapons, why would any mad man want to do so? For those
unfortunate Gambia Soldiers, I would not be surprised if Yaya would try to coax you
into going back again by providing you with his crazy bulletproof jujus for
protection. Well, take it from me, those things don’t work on “Katusha” rockets,
but the choice is yours. Going back for a guaranteed suicide in which your
death would be hidden to the public is a sure and sorry way to hell. So you must
be prepared to even run away than accept that order. You will only die and some
vampire would come and lie about it. Peacekeeping training for GNA soldiers
going to Sierraleone? How could they say that? Who can the Bissau troops teach
how to perform international peacekeeping when they have never been in any
such mission in the world? If they had said Ghana or even Senegal one would
understand, but Guinea Bissau; that was just a desperate excuse laughable but still
worrisome. Bissau troops in The Gambia are nothing to joke about. But let
them visit the UN mandate on peacekeeping in Sierraleone and show us where any
country is required to deploy troops with such weapons as “Katusha” rocket
launchers.

Anyhow if the training was for peacekeeping in Sierraleone, why in god’s name
did they restrict it to the State Guard elements only? Certainly, the regular
GNA soldiers must be telling each other “what some shameless liars we have as
our authorities”. They know that there was no peacekeeping training with any
Bissau soldiers, period. All said however, I am hoping and praying that the
next time one of the last two trucks are to be test fired, Jammeh Musa, the
greatest, the conqueror of Liberia, invincible in the face of missiles and
explosives would himself, join the firing team at Polodi range. Amen. May those souls
lost in the last Polodi exercise rest in eternal peace. Amen.

Ebou Colly.