GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:07:09 EDT
I am the proud owner of "How I Play Golf" by Tiger Woods in collaboration
with Golf Digest editors and published by Warner Books. I intend to share parts
of it with you beautiful people and golf enthusiasts. Here is the first
installment. I recommend Jaliba Kuyateh or Juan (pron. hkuan) Ballencina of the
villancinos.

I love golf as much for its frankness as for those rare occasions when it
rewards a wink with a smile. It is pure, honest, and immune to sweet talk.
Neither can it be bum-rushed. You must court it slowly and patiently. Any other
strategy will be met with a rebuff that for centuries has made grown men and
women weep.

Golf does, however, show you moments of vulnerability. They are the reason
we relish the courtship and the basis for our hope. It is that flicker of
anticipation that draws us from the comfort of ambivalence to the certainty of
rejection. Golf does not play favourites. Still we try.

I recall from conversations with two of the greatest golfers of our time -
Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus - that the game had a similar appeal for them.
Golf affords you supreme independence. The cliche about the game being you
against the golf course is only partly true. Ultimately, it is you against
yourself. It always comes down to how well you know yourself, your ability, your
limitations and the confidence you have in your ability to execute under
pressure that is mostly self-imposed. At the end, you must have the heart and
head to play a shot and the courage to accept the consequences.

Golf is a great mirror, oft revealing things about you that even you didn't
know. It cannot be misled. Still we try.