GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Latir G. Downes-Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 23:35:04 -0400
From the CDC website - http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/klingerman_hoax.htm

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently received
several inquiries concerning an e-mail message about people who have been
infected with "Klingerman virus" after opening gift packages delivered to
them in the mail. According to the e-mail message, a number of people became
ill with a viral infection after handling a sponge contained in a package
marked, "A gift for you from the Klingerman Foundation."

The e-mail is a hoax. There is no "Klingerman virus," and the information in
the e-mail notice is untrue. If you receive an e-mail message about
"Klingerman virus," please do not forward it to others.

Although the e-mail message is a hoax, if you are concerned about the
contents of a package you receive in the mail, contact your local post
office. It is a criminal offense to send potentially hazardous agents
through the mail for the purpose of deliberately causing harm to human
health. When such an incident occurs, the local emergency response system
should be activated by dialing 911 in most communities; in communities
without 911 systems, local law enforcement authorities should be notified.
The local FBI field office and local and state public health authorities
also should be notified.