GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:58:36 +0100
FOROYAA NEWSPAPER BURNING ISSUE

Issue No. 68/2005, 29-31 August, 2005

Editorial

APRC’S NEW INTIMIDATION TACTICS IN UPPER SALOUM

COURT ACTION IMMINENT

Adama Camara is pregnant. She was arrested and detained over night at Kaur Police Station. Her only crime was to be married to someone who is suspected of not being a Gambian citizen. People call president Jammeh a Pan Africanist. This is the biggest farce in history. At this very moment women who have been married to Gambian men and men who have been married to Gambian women for decades but have not been told how to naturalise and become Gambian citizens while had built homes and have children and grandchildren here are being tracked down as aliens and arrested and detained.

Adama Camara had to be separated from her family home, subjected to detention behind police desks over night by Police Officer Gibba of the Kaur Immigration post. This is the type of Gambia we live in today. For the sake of power a regime exists which stops at nothing in political manipulation and indecency so that it will not have in the National Assembly critical voices that will expose its maladministration.

Everyone knows that there are many people occupying high political office whose parents never naturalised to become Gambian citizens. Technically such people are not Gambian citizens. However, everyone knows that they are not citizens because of the failure of the immigration system in the country. If there were proper systems of recording birth and death and proper information on the laws governing citizenship and the means to naturalise to be a citizen many people who are being taken from their farms today and subjected to detention as aliens after building homes, paying yard taxes and sending their children to school would not be maltreated as they are being maltreated today.

In the last, two presidential elections the APRC regime tried to make it very easy for people to acquire voters’ cards. They even amended the elections decree so that one does not even need an ID Card to attest to citizenship. Any five elders could give attestation to certify the citizenship of any applicant.

Instead of teaching people how to acquire citizenship, they made it easy for people to acquire voters’ cards. Now they have their list to go about to intimidate such people to either vote for the APRC or be subjected to a legal process. It is therefore clear that such a regime which can only impose poverty and fear on the people has lost every reason to preside over the affairs of a civilised people especially a people who intend to belong to a sub region and continent which is calling for unity in order to guide the collective destiny of the African people Shame on the APRC.
Shame on the executive which has made a law to make investors citizens but are now hunting Africans and enshackling them as our ancestors were enslaved and taken to the Americas.

LETTER TO THE IEC

On Commissioners, Chiefs, The Security Forces And The Use Of Public Property

The by-elections in Serrekunda Central, Jarra West, Upper Saloum and Wuli West are drawing near. According to section 8 of the Elections Decree, the IEC is responsible for the implementation of the constitutional and other legal provisions relating to the electoral process.

It is stipulated very clearly under section 222 of the Constitution that public officers should “not in the course of his or her official functions and without lawful excuse do or cause to be done, any action which is prejudicial to the rights of any other person.”

For your information the Commissioner of the CRD did not only lead a campaign in support of the APRC in the Nianija and Njau by elections he went as far as to harass a NADD polling agent by the name of Assan Mboge during polling day.  This was in gross violation of the code of conduct for public officers.

Suffice it to say, the same commissioner has called on the people of Upper Saloum to support the APRC candidate while on an official tour with the SoS for Agriculture. Section 222 states that “A person holding office in the public service or any disciplined force shall not take part in any activities which cast doubt on his or her capacity to deal impartially with matters or issues which are the concern of his or her public office or which interfere with the performance of his or her public duties”

Commissioners and Chiefs are magistrates and presidents of tribunals respectively. In which part of the civilised world do you find magistrates and presidents of tribunals engaging in campaign for a political party?

Suffice it to say, when the Commissioner was subjecting the NADD polling agent to intimidation he had security escorts. This was also in gross violation of the Election Laws. We do not want any presence of a security agent during registration exercises or elections without their submission to the direction and control of the IEC. Section 129 of the Election’s Decree states that “The Inspector General of Police shall, on the request of the commission, assign to the commission such number of police officers as the commission may require during the period of registration of voters and conduct of elections.

(2) A police officer assigned to the commission shall, during his assignment, be under the control and direction of the commission

(3) Every police officer assigned under this section shall serve the commission from the period of the commencement of registration of voters or the conduct of elections until

(a) three days after the end of the registration, and

(b) seven days after the declaration of election results”

We expect that the IEC will liaise with the Inspector General of Police to ensure in the forthcoming by-elections that no security personnel will be found anywhere on duty who is not under the authority of the IEC. Furthermore, during the Njau and Nianija by-elections government vehicles were utilised to campaign for the APRC candidates in gross violation of section 91 of the Election’s Decree. Section 91 states among other things that “No candidate or political party shall during an election campaign period

(a) abuse or engage in the improper use of property of the government for political propaganda purposes”

This by-election is not an ordinary one. It is going to determine whether Gambia will be a multi party state or a one party state. The declaration of the four opposition seats vacant by the Supreme Court has left the National Assembly of the Gambia without an opposition and the ECOWAS and Pan African parliaments without representation from the opposition. The election is as important as a general election. How this election is conducted will determine how the presidential election in 2006 will be conducted by the IEC. This is not an ordinary by-election. We therefore expect extra ordinary action by the IEC to ensure a free and fair election.

It is already clear from the remarks of the President that he has no respect for ethical and moral standards in conducting election campaigns as required by Section 90 of the Elections Decree. He has been calling the opposition members donkeys and cockroaches. Such insult and slander may continue during the campaign period. It is the duty of the IEC to start voter education right away to ensure respect for election ethics.

It is also important to convey to you that a climate of intimidation and repression is being imposed on the people of Upper Saloum.

When the APRC government put in the elections decree that “a document certified by five elders residing in the place of birth of the applicant stating that the applicant was born in that place” many questioned why such a crude method was adopted to certify citizenship in the Gambia to be considered a citizen. Since it became difficult to beat the system they had to get any five elders to determine citizenship. They further opened the room for anyone to get a voter’s card only to turn to those people today to accuse them of being aliens. People are deserting their wives and villagers and either spending their days and nights in police stations for being accused of being aliens.

TO BE CONTINUED

NADD’S KEMESENG JAMMEH BREAKS HIS SILENCE

By Bubacarr K. Sowe

Kemeseng Jammeh, the candidate of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development who is aspiring for the Jarra West parliamentary seat in the forthcoming by-elections slated for the 29th September 2005, has decided to break the ice by stating that he will outclass his opponent in the aforesaid election.

Mr. Jammeh made this remark in an interview with Foroyaa Newspaper, a day before he left for his constituency in preparation for the September 12th nomination of candidates. Mr. Jammeh, who defeated his opponent a year ago in a by-election which saw them contending for the Jarra west seat, is of the view that they (NADD) will increase the margin of the results of the forthcoming by-elections.

“As far as we are concerned, Jarra West is stable at the moment. My anticipation is that, we are going to increase the margin of the majority of what we used to have. This is because we have a large electorate in NADD than we used to have in our individual parties.” Mr. Jammeh remarked.

The former National Assembly member said he has been away for a while, and having returned from his trip, it is appropriate for him to go to Jarra and meet the people there. He pointed out that he intends to embark on a brief tour of his constituency before nomination day.

HAS SENEGAMBIA HOTEL BEEN SOLD?

By Surakata Danso

Amidst wide spread speculation coupled with complains from both the public and the employees of Senegambia Beach Hotel on the alleged sale of the hotel, the Managing Director of the hotel has declined to comment on the alleged development, instead he referred this reporter to the Gambia Divestiture Agency.

The employees are said to be in a state of confusion over their plight on two fronts.

a.         Who is to take charge of their service and other benefits if the hotel is sold.

b.         Whether the new owner is going to maintain their services or not.

According to sources when the representatives of the staff committee met the Managing Director to discuss the matter with him, the Managing Director did decline to clarify issues.

The reporter had made several attempts in the interest of transparency and accountability to speak to the Chief Executive of The Gambia Divestiture Agency, but he was informed that the Chief Executive has travelled; that she would be back on Monday 29th August 2005. Foroyaa will endeavour to talk to the CEO in order to inform the public accordingly.

POLICE CRACK DOWN ON NEWSPAPER VENDORS

Emptying the streets of derelict vehicles and canteens which obstruct the free flow of traffic has been a policy of the country’s security agents. However, the practice has now taken a “human face”. The police on Friday applied hard and fast rules by admonishing newspaper vendors to desist from selling newspapers at the footpath at Independence Drive near Allen Street in Banjul. Around 8030 am on Friday morning, seven over zealous police officers descended on Independence Drive and urged Newspaper vendors to disperse from the area. According to one of the aggrieved newspaper vendors Modou Nyan, one of the Police Officers went to the extent of attempting to throw his plastic bag which was containing newspapers, but he quickly move away from the area to avoid embarrassment.

“I was surrounded by people who were eager to buy newspapers. I was obsessed with the selling of my papers when they (Police) approached me and demanded that I should move away from the area (at the footpath). At the time, some of my clients were waiting for their change and I was on the process of giving them their moneys. I later moved from where I was standing,” Nyan remarked.

The disgruntled vendor said he had to go to Allen Street and continued selling his papers. He said three officers were later left at the site and the others boarded a police pick up and left the scene. The vendor noted that his colleagues (Newspaper sellers) were also forced to leave the said area. Nyan who was shocked by the incident could not understand why they were subjected to the unwarranted treatment they suffered in the hands of the police. Nyan who was stunned by the decision of the Police said they have been selling newspapers in the area for several years without any problem. He said newspapers all over the world are sold in the streets by vendors, and therefore he sees no reason why the police want to empty the street of newspaper vendors.

He said the footpath at Independence Drive is very wide, and that they have not been obstructing the free flow of the traffic. He said the latest development will discourage or frustrate them because they earn their living by selling newspapers.
Foroyaa did contact the police in a bid to feel their pulse on the issue. In his explanation the Public Relation Officer of the Gambia Police Force, Aziz Bojang, said the incident is part of a routine exercise by the police to clear the street of vendors. He said newspapers were not targeted and would soon be allowed to return to the area.

“We will meet you wherever you go. We need the papers and no one can stop us from buying them.” The customers assured the vendors.

BRAVO HAMAT BAH

A good Representative of the People will no doubt be a headache to a bad government like Yaya Jammeh’s

I feel very much proud and elated to see how President Jammeh and his party runs into despair and urgency, just to see an opposition NAM in the person of Hamat Bah out of the National Assembly.

This clearly spells out the fact that this government is very much afraid of oppositions and criticisms.  Their fear is owing to nothing but their deeds.  A clean person does not fear criticism but instead invites it and stands out to defend himself.

It is common knowledge to all and sundry that Hamat Bah has been instrumental in the National Assembly in exposing most of the ill acts of this government, like the Arson Attacks on the Independent Newspaper’s office and so forth. By common sense, one can see that Hamat is really connected to an impeccable source of information where he gets all these top secrets about the government.  It is this source that has proven difficult to trace, which is why they feel that the only way to stop Hamat from exposing them is to make him silent or not to be heard by the general public, and to do so, it will cost them everything to kick him out of the National Assembly.  Hamat has challenged this government on a lot of issues of national concern.  He even went to the extent of mentioning names and addresses of people alleged to be involved in the arson attack on the Independent Newspaper.  But to this date, Hamat has still not been genuinely confronted by this government, for them to clear
 themselves of all the allegations levelled against them.

Their immediate reactions by way of quick rush to the politics of character assassination against no one among the four opposition NAMs but only Hamat, as we approach the by elections is clearly a sign of guilt.  If this government is sure of itself that the allegations often levelled against them by Hamat Bah is baseless, I think they should have rather encouraged his presence in the National Assembly so that they can get him around to answer to such allegations.  But they will never do that.

What I want Yaya Jammeh to understand is that no matter how much he tries, he cannot wipe out opposition in this country.  No president or politician can wipe out opposition on the surface of this earth. Let him understand that even if he succeeds in neutralizing the present opposition that is in place, a new brand of opposition forces will naturally have to emerge with a shrewd voice and critical approach to his government.  Even prophets of all times who were on Allah’s mission, faced criticisms much more an ordinary human being engaged in nothing but malicious, unruly and undemocratic acts.  The best thing for the president to do is to change.  A complete change of attitude is what he needs, which I know is already late for him and is even impossible.  So therefore criticisms and opposition will continue to flow and flourish until he deserts that public seat he is occupying.

Coming now to the so-called APRC/Sinchu Alagi village rally, which was organized solely to start to destabilise Hamat Bah ahead of the forthcoming by elections, I want to register my complete disagreement with one of the most outrageous speakers who said that Hamat has been winning his parliamentary seat in Upper Saloum because he was engaged in elections malpractice by buying voting cards.  That is a very big slander.

I know that the people of Upper Saloum owe a lot of allegiance to Hamat Bah.  He has been a good representative for them and for the concern and care for his people.  This is why they vote for him.

Yaya Jammeh this was said just to please you.  What I will like to do in light of these circumstances that these so-called political aspirants of Sinchu Alagi have vowed to campaign for Yaya Jammeh against Hamat Bah, on the claim that they are speaking with the voices of the people of Upper Saloum who have already done away with the NRP, is to urge the people of Upper Saloum to speak out against the false proclamations of these political aspirants, to the audience of the general public.  Let people know that they are just mere political aspirants looking for opportunity from the APRC, and they feel this is the right time to work it out.  They know we have a president who just likes to be cajoled and be told sweets words that he would want to hear, then he will give you all he has, openly in public sometimes or even televised for the whole world to know he was giving something to someone.  He has turned a lot of decent Gambians into praise singers and griots etc.

Those political aspirants of Sinchu Alagi village, claimed to know Hamat said things that did not transpire between them and Hamat just to please Yaya Jammeh since this is a state controlled media.  But I am quite sure if Hamat equally has the chance to stand and talk on TV, we will hear a lot of expositions about them also.

But a little advice to them is in the very usual words of Yaya Jammeh himself.  “The world is three days, yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Yesterday they were in NRP, today they are seeking to join APRC, but they don’t know what tomorrow will bring.

Yaya Jammeh is not a (snake-holding partner), if I would be allowed to directly translate the old Mandinka adage.  These political aspirants can never politicize for Yaya Jammeh and APRC in a degree and Manneh that will be more than that of Baba Jobe, but where is Baba Jobe today?  Even those many SoS’s who have come and gone, the likes of Hassan Sallah, Blaise Jagne, you name them.  All these people have said every sweet word about Yaya Jammeh and his government all over the country, but where are they today?

To conclude, I would like to reiterate that the presence of Hamat Bah, alongside Halifa Sallah in the National Assembly has been a great burden on the president that he had to vomit it out in his recent interview.  Why do they have to be a burden on him? Why?

From this, it becomes clear that the recent legal engagement of these four opposition NAMs by the government was in pursuit of getting these two out of the National Assembly and the next question that comes to mind is whether the ambiguous ruling of the Supreme Court that saw these NAMs losing their seats was not really manipulated.

It really doesn’t take one much thinking time to understand the foolish tactics this so-called president uses just to perpetuate himself in power.  Does it?

By Gikay

SUPREME OF THESUPREME

The verdict of the Supreme Court of the Gambia is now history. What is left is for the Gambian people to also give their verdict, concerning the four minority National Assembly seats representing 47percent of voters that said no to the APRC and 20percent of the registered voters who for one reason or another abstained from the polls, not forgetting those eligible voters who failed to make the voters list at all.

The Supreme Court has shown its position on the ground very clearly. Whatever the case maybe, the people are and shall always be the final judges, the supreme of the supreme; the invincible. Hence the need for them to more than ever before, stand up and take charge of their own destinies. For without which, others will utilize it for their own benefit to the detriment of the people.

When I heard Halifa Sallah say in a symposium that the era of great leaders has ended possibly with Nelson Mandela, and that we are in the era of the people, my comprehension of this saying wasn’t so clear at that time just as the majority of the audience in attendance who referred to him as one of such leaders. But now, this humble philosophy is clear to me more than ever before. That it is only the people who can safeguard their own interest by vigorously and thoroughly monitoring the activities of their chosen representatives at all levels, thereby enabling them to in no uncertain terms, know whom to entrust with the management of the affaires of their state, for their ultimate well-being.

Just as the constitution gave the powers for it’s interpretation to the Supreme Court, the same constitution has given exclusive powers to the National Assembly who are representing and accountable to the people, to check on the excesses of the Judiciary under which the Supreme Court belong. Thus entrusting the final authority to the people to determine such crucial matters. It also did the same in the case of a no confidence vote against the President by the National Assembly Members, by establishing clear procedures to be followed, which finally goes back to the people to decide whether they have agreed or not, in a form of another election.

All that these linkages signify is the supreme position of the people, who are the means and end to the existence of a state; the tax payers; from whom all revenues are derived to sustain the services of such authorities who some times behave as if they are superior to the people. These checks between those in authority and the people they serve, are what democrats over the years have recognized and included in constitutions to safeguard the interest of the people against any possible abuses.

But as history has clearly demonstrated, no matter how beautiful these “legal niceties”, as the current speaker referred to them during the inaugural session of the present members of the National Assembly, human beings are prone to errors or even to deliberately trample upon them just as in the case of the APRC government’s butchering of the constitution since 1997, through its control of the majority of the seats in the National Assembly; which also clearly shows that they were and are not in touch with the desires of the people neither do they comprehend the letters and spirit of the constitution; which if they did would have been fleeced upon, well before it was presented to the people for assent in 1996.

Based on this backdrop, the people are bound to suffer the more, just because of the insatiable taste for power by a minority clique at marina parade. The people should stand firm and mobilize them shelves more than before, especially the youths and preserve the voices of descent at the National Assembly. Say no to the silencing of the people, for it is what the men and women at Marina Parade are struggling to achieve day and night. The same people who through a coup more than a decade ago, promised to put in measures that would ensure that no body will ever stay in power for more than two five year terms again, have been sleepless ever since they where elected in to office, scheming on how to hang on to power forever. They do not want to remember the simple civic dictum that they where taught in school that “power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. And our wise FOROYAA’s addendum that the “sweet of office corrupts, and a mouth full of the sweets of office corrupts
 absolutely”. Some people forget so quickly but the majority, who are at the receiving end never forget. They will repeat the same even to generations yet unborn.

However, the present Gambian situation is not a very complicated one.  As long as the people live up to their position of supremacy not by the use of arms or engaging in violence but by simply going to the pools and vote. The people of Jarra West, Serekunda Central, Upper Saloum and Wuli West are well-informed people and are expected to know whether to choose from progress to retrogression, brightness or darkness. The ball is now in your court.

Modou Mammajjang Nyang,

Ibadan, Nigeria

AWAY WITH DECEPTION

The devil’s deceptions has become the main ingredient that has blinded the world not to see the truth that is behind the problems taking place around the whole world. Some people might not understand the real nature of the things that are happening around them. On the other hand, they might not be able to analyse the problems with a more open mind so that they could see the problems in their best form. The truth is there are still certain elements in the world that are always outsmarting them with false impression, trying to blind them about the truth. They’ve got a whole lot of pretty nice words that actually deceive many people. And still some of us think that they are innocent. Time will tell.

Their similitude is like that of a spider in it’s web. The spider feels that it is covered, it’s secure, protected and untouchable in its web while infact it is the weakest shelter in the whole world. It cannot save it firm direct heat from the sun’s light, rainfall, wind, dust and so on. Likewise, the same thing goes to these people that are pretending around the world with their smiles, trying to fool the people with a lot of lies and acting like the whole world is their personal property. They feel that they are secure in their dubious practices not knowing that like the spider, they’re not covered, they’re not protected, and they’re not untouchable but their arrogance and careless ways would disappoint them sooner rather than later.

For so long these elements have been accusing other people and getting away with it. They conspired against everybody who gets in their way and nothing would be done about it. This shows you how nasty international politics is. It is nothing but shrewd hypocrisy and insanity.

The system that is ruling the world today, is like a con game. The ‘big shots’ that are always pecking on our backs, trying to tell us how much progress we are making are the same crooks who are endangering our humanity. They’ve infiltrated all our international organisations and governments just to try to control us. They hide behind those powerful organisations and institutions to blind us with their so-called self-righteous images while infact, they’re the very crooks that are instigating all those problems that our people are suffering from. They use the power of the press and media only to blind us not to see what is going on. We find that most of us in that collaboration end up being marginalised from the truth.

World organisations like the United Nations, World Bank, IMF and all these other international bodies, are nothing but the band wagons of the tricksters, which they ride on to infiltrate their victims. What are they talking about? The control and influence that the United States government is having over the UN, is greater than any nation in the whole world. She is using this privilege to control other peoples around the world. What is the Secretary General of the UN, Kofi Anan doing? The recent war against Iraq is a bright example. Did America listen to the advice of UN after the report of the delegates that went to search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? They did not even accept the reports that proved that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Why, Rockefeller couldn’t wait till the UN got its signature on it? They went on killing innocent women and children in Iraq out rightly.

Let us look at the real nature of the problems that are going on around the world objectively. We shouldn’t allow other people to think for us. We shouldn’t allow the system to carry us away. Some of us are still suffering from the disease of ‘Westernism’. We think that we can’t get along without the west. We think that we can’t eat food that is not from the west. We think that we can’t wear clothes without the west. We even reject and condemn everything that the west does not approve to us. That’s a bad habit.

The greatest single weapon that the west successful in control the rest of the world was colonisation of the minds of the people. They have made us to think inferior about ourselves. Until we do away from this kind of mental slavery we would never have the chance to see the truth that could guide us to our salvation. Imagine the fate of those people that are renouncing their faith for the sake of Westernism and “modernism.”

Someone should pull their cloak to let them know that at the present moment the eyes of the world is opening to the truth. Those bunch of cowboys that are running the government of Washington D.C, should know that the world does not belong to them or their grand puppies. They should judge them for what they have been doing to other people. Where is Hitler? Where is Reagan? They would not succeed.

By Lamin Sanyang

HALIFA MEETS CONSTITUENTS AT BOREHOLE

AS YOUTHS SHOW ALLEGIANCE TO NADD

By Baboucarr Ceesay

At the invitation of the Tonyaa Kafoo Youths at Bundung Borehole, Mr. Halifa Sallah addressed electorate on pertinent issues surrounding the forthcoming by-election, the 2006 presidential elections and the transfer of voters cards.

Speaking at this community meeting, the Adviser of the youth group Ebrima Touray cautioned young people of Serrekunda Central to make an informed choice so as to put the right person in the National Assembly.

Mr. Touray showing allegiance to NADD, pinpointed that youths should tighten their belts to make sure that the person elected in office is as vigilant as a watchman to manifest public spiritedness and selflessness; that their votes are their voice and power that determines their future as a people.

However, other speakers disclosed that there are intimidations and threats that if the NADD candidate, Halifa Sallah wins the Serrekunda Central Constituency seat, they will lose their places in the market, some areas are marked for demolition exercise to build roads if Halifa Sallah wins.

They continued to reveal that inducement of voters is on the plan of the APRC which they (constituents) said they will not entertain.

On his part Omar Jallow, alias OJ, sensitised the youths on their role to build a better Gambia by choosing good representatives. Dilating on the plight of the young people, he said that there are wasteful projects such as the importation of animals from abroad to rear them in Kanilai, whilst the young people are facing all sorts of extreme conditions in this country.

On football and politics Mr. Jallow said that football should not be politicised, because he and Halifa have been playing football at Serrekunda School and still people are playing football; that even if he has a son who can play football for the Under 17 team he would love that because it is a national issue and not partisan politics. He insinuated that people should not politicise football. He concluded that NADD is here for every Gambian irrespective of tribe, religion etc.

Speaking to the constituents, Mr. Halifa Sallah said that if you don’t know who you are, you will not know what you own, then someone else would take ownership of it leaving you to live in “hell on earth” and that person will live in “heaven on earth”. “What is hell on earth?” he asked constituents. He indicated that hell on earth is to suffer from cradle to the grave, leaving your children and children’s children to follow the same trend of life, suffering from cradle to the grave. He said such a life is a meaningless life; life without purpose and not worth living.

Halifa clarified that people are paying taxes that go to the national coffers which is meant for public amenities such as water, electricity, road, etc, he said 10 million Dalasis was spent on 22nd July celebration and only 45 million was the amount spent on the construction of roads in KMC. He told the gathering to imagine how important road is compared to a celebration like 22nd July. He said that the debt of the Gambia stands at 22 billion Dalasis.

Halifa revealed that 400 million Dalasis has been missing at the central Bank. He stated that the Gambia is a country with endowment but its affairs is presided over by a monarchically inclined President aspiring to live a life of a King and reign forever.

He said that the choice is the people’s, if they are not satisfied with any representative they have the right to topple the person from office with their votes. “If people are suppressed, there must be others who will go underground making plots to overthrow just like what happened recently in Mauritania”.  Sallah remarked.

Mr. Sallah told the gathering that bribing people for votes is a crime according to the Election Decree. He finally cautioned the people to be steadfast and respect their votes as their power and voice and that they should not hesitate to expose anyone who does such practice.

On transfer of votes, Sallah said that though transferring vote is a right but one should show proof of transfer of residence; that transfers should be done within the confines of the law.

CATTLE RUSTLERS NABBED

By Annia Gaye

The police’s resolve to crack down on cattle rustling is in motion. On Monday, police in Brikamaba in the Fulladou West district, nabbed twenty suspected cattle rustlers. The arrest of the twenty suspects is linked to the ongoing investigation involving the quintet who were arrested by the police a fortnight ago for allegedly stealing the cattle of Teteh Ndow of Ngudu Wollof in the Fulladou West District (In CRD).

 According to the police, the arrest and interrogation of the main suspect (name withheld) led to the arrest f the score of suspects. The police said the main suspect mentioned the names of all those who are involved in the scandal. The police pointed out that the main suspect had informed them that he and his friend stole the cattle.

The police revealed that five of the stolen cattle have been seen, and the rest have been slaughtered and sold at the Brikamaba weekly lumo. The police opined that the latest badge of arrestees acted as agents of the suspects in Wassu and the surrounding villages.

Four of the five cattle rustlers who were earlier arrested by the police in Brikamaba, have purportedly absconded.

Teteh Ndow, has informed this reporter that this is not the first time that his cattle has been sold. He explained that cattle rustlers stole nine of his head of cattle from his herd. Chief Momodou Lamin Baldeh of Fulladou West urged the police to bring the culprits to book.

TRIAL OF DEMBA SANYANG

By Lamin Fatty

The trial of Demba Sanyang, former officer commanding Brikama Division, continued on the 24th of August, 2005 at the Brikama Magistrates’ Court, before Magistrate Buba Jawo. The hearing began with the continuation of the cross examination by the Defence Counsel, Lamin Jobarteh.

Cross-Examination of Mr Darboe

Q.        Mr. Darboe when was Malado arrested?

A.         He was invited to the Police. Not arrested.

Q.        You said he was invited, who invited him?

A.         The O.C invited him

Q.  He was invited for a cup of tea or dinner.

A.  He was invited to be cautioned.

Q.  What is the difference between witness and caution?

A.  People who are invited as witnesses will give evidence, but people who are called to be cautioned, will be cautioned.

Q.  Where you present, when the O.C invited him?

A.  I was not present.

Q.  Where you absent?

A.  Yes.

Q.  But your failure to come for work was based on no tangible reason?

A.  I have reasons.

Q.  What were your reasons?

A.  Because there was a panel conducting investigations about this particular cattle rustling. So I was asked to relax.

Q.  Was the panel not constituted by the accused?

A.  Yes it was.

Q.  At the time the panel was constituted, where you at the Gunjur Station?

A.  Yes.

Mean while the Defence Counsel wanted some documents to be produced but this was opposed by the prosecution. After a short push and pull between the Defence Counsel and the Prosecutor, the Presiding Magistrate intervened by saying that if the Prosecutor was not ready to help, then it is better for the defence to look at other ways to produce the evidence before the court. Cross examination then continued as follows:

Q.        You stated earlier that Malado’s cautionary statement was taken and he left.

A.         Yes.

Q.        And you stated that no statement proves that Malado is convicted?

A.         Yes

Q.        Where was the cautionary statement of Malado taken?

A.         At the station.

Q.        Which station?

A.         At Brikama Police Station.

Q.        Who is the officer in charge of the file containing Malado’s statement?

A.         Inspector Jammeh, head of the panel.

At this point, the defence counsel made application for Inspector Jammeh to bring to the court the file which contained Malado’s statement. The Prosecutor stood up to say that he could not confirm whether Inspector Jammeh could be able to produce the statement as he was not a witness. The Presiding Magistrate ruled that the statement of Malado and the file which contained the statement, with Inspector Jammeh be brought to the court. The case was adjourned till September 5th for Inspector Jammeh to produce the statement of Malado, for the case to proceed.

TRIAL OF EX POLICE COMMISSIONER CONTINUES

By Lamin Fatty

The trial of former Police Commissioner, Brikama Division, Ebrima Camara Continued at the Brikama Magistrate Court, on the 24th August, 2005, before magistrate Buba Jawo.  The hearing began with the continuation of cross examination by the defence Counsel, Lamin Jobarteh, of PW2.

Cross-Examination of P.W. 2

Q.  Mr Keita you recalled that Ousman Jallow was transferred to Brikama Station?

A.         Yes he was.

Q.        Who was the relief commander at the time of the Jupiter?

A.         Couple 18 Assan Manneh.

Q.        Since you are the most senior, did he inform you of the transfer of Ousman Jallow to Brikama police Station?

A.         I instructed Assan Manneh to note it in the diary that the accused and the file is going to the court.

Q.        Prior to the transfer of Ousman Jallow, did you inform the Inspector?

A.         Then the inspector was inside.  So there was no need to inform him.

Q.        Can you show the case was recorded on the diary?

A.         It is not recorded on the photocopy of the diary given to Mr Keita.

Q.        When was Ousman Jallow transferred to Brikama Police Station?

A.         I cannot remember the date.

Q.        Look at entry Number 57 and read it to the court?

A.         Telephone message received from D.I.G. on the 11 of March saying that Ousman Jallow bail be revoked.

Q.        Look at entry Number 21 on the third page and tell the court which date was on the entry?

A.         On the 12th March 2005.

Q.        Can you read the entry?

A.         Bail extended to 14th March 2005.

Q.        Mr Keita your D.T.G. called you to revoke the bail on the 11th

A.         Yes.

Q.        You said your D.I.G. is more superior.  So you need not to inform him?

A.         Yes.

Q.        Why did you then disregard the order of your superior to your Junior.

A.         In service, we work on last order.

Q.        But is it not in the same service not to obey unlawful order?

A.         Yes.

Q  The D.I.G.’S and the I.G’S order which is lawful?

A.  Both are lawful.

Q.  Is it correct for the diary to be entered in a way book?

A.  That of a prisoner is entered in a diary and the file is entry in a way book.

Q.  Was Ousman Jallow’s file entered in the way book of Brikama Police Station?

A.  Yes.

Q.  Who signed the way book as had been received in Ousman Jallow’s case?

A.  I was not there, and did not check the column.

Mean while defence council Jobarteh is requesting for the way book in which Ousman Jallow’s case was writhen on and the diary.  The case was then adjourned to September 5th 2005 for P.W2 to continue on cross extermination.

COURT CONVICTS AN IRISH AND TWO GAMBIANS

By Sanna Saidykhan

Cathel Omaolani, an Irish national and two Gambians namely Mamadou Drammeh and Bubacarr Bah who were charged with ten counts of conspiracy to commit felony and making false documents were on Thursday convicted by the Brikama Magistrate Court on 8 counts of the charges preferred against them by the state. They were each fined D6000 on each count or in default to serve separate one year imprisonment on each count and Cathel Omaolani be deported after serving the prison sentence or paying the fine.

The presiding magistrate, Bubacarr Jawo in his ruling said the prosecution has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the accused persons did conspire to commit the act. He said the prosecution brought witnesses who know the content and the nature of the ID cards and birth certificate shown which made it clear that there was discrepancy on them.

He said the testimony of the third accused Cathel Omaolani before the court is different from the statement he made at the police. He said the first accused brought a witness who knows nothing about the case and that all other accused persons did not bring any witness.