GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:45:44 +0200
From: George Okurapa
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 1:26 AM
Subject: Acholi peace conference

THE KITGUM RESOLUTION OF LEADERS OF ACHOLI ON THE RESTORATION OF PEACE IN ACHOLI SUBREGION

PREAMBLE

WE LEADERS OF ACHOLI, comprising of District Councillors, Members of Parliament, Opinion Leaders, Elders and Youths from the districts of Pader, Kitgum and Gulu, and representatives of some Civil Society Organizations and other stakeholders, having held a meeting at Kitgum District Council Hall from 12th- 15th- October 2003 to review and assess past efforts and identify gaps in the current struggle for comprehensive and sustainable peace and development in Acholiland.

Painfully conscious of the long suffering of our people resulting from the LRA insurgency led by Joseph Kony, that has resulted into the abduction, maiming, abuse, rape, defilement and death of thousands of our people, wanton destruction and loss of properties and the reversal of development in our land.
Aware that a lot has been done in the past by Government, Parliament, the Acholi Community and its leaders, and various stakeholders in pursuit of sustainable peace and development.

Acknowledging in particular the genuine concern, generous support, commitment

and personal sacrifices made and still being made by H.E. President Yoweri K. Museveni to ease the suffering of our people and end this senseless conflict.

But truly concerned that, in spite of the various efforts to end the LRA insurgency, the suffering of our people, and painful destruction of life and property continues relentlessly.

Further concerned about the spread of the war beyond our boundaries to the sub regions of Teso, Lango and West Nile and its adverse effects on the people and their traditional cordial relationship with us, and acknowledging the pain suffered by those who lost their loved ones and properties as a result.

 Noting that pervious efforts by the Acholi as a Community to build a common stand against this LRA insurgency were significantly undermined by petty partisan and individual differences.

Further recognizing that lack of trust between the Government of Uganda and the people of Acholi has greatly undermined the peace process.

And fully convinced that with our commitment, mobilisation of our people, and a renewed commitment to and trust of our people by the Government of Uganda and its correction of policy and operational weaknesses against the LRA rebels, the abductions, killings and destruction of property that still haunt our people can be quickly brought to a permanent end.

RESOLUTION

Now therefore, upon consideration of the current challenges, the destitution and dehumanising situations in the Acholi sub-region and the urgent need to act single-mindedly and together, have hereby resolved as follows: -

1.      We continue to condemn without reservation and in the strongest terms possible the killings, abductions, ambushes and looting of innocent civilians by the LRA, and urge them to cease these acts forthwith and to genuinely embrace dialogue as the best way of resolving the conflict.

2.      We also deplore and condemn the continued human rights violation in the Acholi sub-region especially right to life, rights of children and women by Karamojong cattle rustlers, some rogue elements in the UPDF and home guard militia etc., and urge Human Rights organisations to address this serious concern.

3.      We declare our full commitment and determination to play our part for peace and to enter into regular dialogue and consultation with the Government of Uganda at the highest level, the Donor Community and all stakeholders in order to harmonise the peace process and effectively engage in programmes of social support, resettlement, reintegration and reconstruction.

4.      While recognising its constitutional obligation of protecting lives and properties of all Ugandans, we urge the Government of Uganda to fully commit itself to comprehensive peaceful settlement of the conflict through dialogue as the least costly option.

5.      In support of the peace process, and as a confidence-building measure, we also urge the Government to give exemplary support to LRA fighters who surrender, to give assurance of amnesty to all LRA leaders, and to commit itself to the extension of the Amnesty Law upon its expiry on the 17th January 2004.

6.      We further urge Government to provide adequate resources and support to the Amnesty Commission to enable it carry out its responsibilities, especially of re-uniting the returnees with their families, and in this regard appeal to the Government and other communities to hand over for rehabilitation Acholi children rescued from Teso, Lango, etc. and those who are reportedly under custody of the UPDF 3rd Division in Mbale plus  those who will continue to be rescued.

7.      While applauding those who understood our predicament and suffering and stood by us during all these years of insurgency, we appeal to other Ugandan communities not to continue holding the LRA rebellion as an Acholi rebellion and inciting their against the Acholi people.  But they should instead help and support us to come out of this quagmire.

8.      We on our part shall move as a team to express our solidarity, restore harmony and good relationship with the people of Lango, Teso and West Nile, who are also suffering the LRA insurgency, and to work with them to find a common and permanent solution to this scourge.

9.      We recognize and applaud those gallant members of the UPDF who have made selfless sacrifices in the fight against the LRA, and in particular uphold our Acholi Home Guards who since 1992 continue to sacrifice to give protection to our community under very difficult conditions. We support the existence of local auxiliary forces to support the UPDF, but urge Government to improve their welfare, legal status and to fully facilitate them in their difficult work. This should result in speedy dismantlement if IDP camps.

10. To strengthen security and administration of law and order, we also urge government to heavily deploy and facilitate the police force in urban/IDP camps, and establish immigration posts at the Sudan-Uganda border to regulate the movement of people across the border through Acholi.

11. We also applaud and support the current efforts at securing peace in the Sudan and the proposal to deploy international peace keeping force and observer mission along the Sudan border as this will have direct bearing on insurgency in our land and offer new opportunity for humanitarian protection to the Acholi sub-region and mediation between the LRA and the Government of Uganda.

12.    We appeal to the Government of Uganda and the international community to maintain a protracted response to the food and poverty crisis now engulfing our people, the poor health and shelter conditions, particularly of children sleeping on the streets, verandas, Bus parks, Churches, Hospitals, etc. The need for critical drugs especially the free Given the tremendous losses suffered by our people, we appeal to the Government of distribution of HIV/AIDS antiretroviral and related drugs is of agent necessity. The need for secondary and University sponsorship in Acholi land requires a serious and urgent intervention.

13. Uganda to provide compensation for the lives and properties lost during road ambushes and whenever security personnel negligently fail to protect the people.

14. While recognising the personal commitment of H.E. the President in supporting the social needs of the people, we urge the Government to urgently consider giving special support grants to our three districts, and appeal to the initiators of the "security and production programme" to work through the Acholi community and employ the bottom -up approach in implementing the programme.

We finally acknowledge the initiative of Acholi leaders in the three districts and the Acholi Parliamentary Group in organising this meeting. We express our sincere appreciation to the Catholic Relief Services (CRS)-Uganda, USAID and Save the Children- Denmark for facilitating the meeting. Such support should continue coming from all those who wish to save Northern & Eastern Uganda from the humanitarian crisis.

Resolved this 15th day of October 2003

Hon. Zachary Olum, Chair of the Peace Conference/Chairman Acholi Parliamentary Group

Lt. Col. Walter Ochora Odoch, Co-Convenor/Chairman Gulu District Local Council

Mr. Nahaman Ojwee, Co-Convenor/Chairman Kitgum District Local Council

Mr. Edwin Yakobo Komakech, Co-Convenor/Chairman Pader District Local Council