GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:01:07 -0500
Fellow List Memebers,

I have observed with interest the debates and comments on this subject matter
and would like to share with you the result of my observation.
The issue of religion and faith,like ethnicity,national origin,and political
affiliation
is always a sensitive matter,and therefore requires caution when dealing with
it.
Bearing this in mind,I appeal to everyone to reflect back to our debates and
comments
regarding what happened in Nigeria recently and how things got out of hand with
the introduction of Sharia.

In my opinion,we should learn to respect each other, be tolerant of each
other,and
watch the language we use on one another.We will always have diversity in
opinions
and affiliations,thereby necessitating accomodating each other in a decipline
manner.

I have no problem with religious posting on the L,as it is an open platform on
which
we can debate and express our views on topics of interest to us in a decipline
and
respectable manner.

Regarding the politics in the Gambia,I know that most of us has a problem with
the
way things are at home,in terms of the government and the head of state,but the
reality
is that they are there and we have to deal with them one way or the other.We
should
engage them not forgetting that engagement is not involvement or participation.

With these understanding,we stand to forster a better relationship and will
create an
environment of peace and stability.

Chi Jaama
Beran