GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:57:12 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  008/2008, 18 – 20 January 2008

Editorial
IS REPLACEMENT OF A  CANDIDATE POSSIBLE AFTER A WITHDRAWAL OUTSIDE THE
STIPULATED PERIOD?
Readers  have been asking whether a candidate can be withdrawn and replaced
outside the  period established for the withdrawal of candidature by  law.

According to section 51 of the Elections Decree, there is  withdrawal within
20 days before the date of holding an  election.

Section 51 subsection (1) reads:”Any candidate may  withdraw from his
candidature by notice in writing signed by him and delivered  by himself or one of
the persons nominating him to the returning officer no  later than four o’ clock
in the afternoon of the twentieth day before the date  of election, or where
the election is to be held over a period of days, before  the first day of
that period.”

Furthermore, section 54 makes  provision for the death of a candidate. In
short, if a candidate dies before the  date established for withdrawal, the IEC
is required by section 51 to issue a  notice calling for fresh nomination for
the office. If the person dies after the  date set for the withdrawal of
candidates the IEC is required to defer the  holding of elections with respect to
such electoral office.

On the  other hand if a candidate who had registered his name under a party
withdraws  within twenty days before the holding of election the IEC is
required to give  the Political Party the option of fielding another candidate within
7 days from  the date of the withdrawal. Section 51 subsection (4) reads: “
When the candidate  withdrawing his candidature had registered his nomination
under a political  party that political party may within seven days from the
date of the withdrawal  field another candidate.”
The IEC may give shorter notice as to when  the party shall hold such
nomination.
Section 51 subsection (5) reads: “A  candidate fielded under subsection (4)
shall be nominated in accordance with the  provisions of this part, provided
that the returning officer may give such  shorter notice when such nomination
shall be held as he may deem fit.”
There  is no provision in the Elections Decree which indicates what the IEC
should do  if a candidate of a political party withdraws outside the period
stipulated for  the statutory withdrawal of Candidates which is 20 days before
the holding of an  election. The IEC needs to hold a press conference to explain
the legal basis  for accepting the withdrawal of one candidate and the
nomination of a new  candidate in his place.

JERMA HOTEL STAFF DEPLORE WORKING  CONDITIONS
General Manager Denies Allegation
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The  Staff of Jerma Beach Hotel have complained of poor working conditions,
but the  management has denied the allegation.
Some employees told Foroyaa that they  have been receiving half of their
salaries since the opening of the hotel in  late 2006 until December 2007 when
they started getting their wages in  full.
Workers also alleged that they were not paid on time last month and  they
only got their salaries on January 10.
One of them said they are afraid  of speaking against the condition of their
work, which he claimed has recently  led to the sacking of three members of
staff by the hotel’s management.
In an  interview with Foroyaa on Monday, the hotel’s general manager, Ali
Chaouch, said  they have not been getting guests when the hotel began operation
and that the  hotel owners wanted to close it, but an alternative arrangement
of paying the  staff, including managers, half of their salaries was put in
place until  November 2007.
Mr. Chaouch said the payment of half salaries is justifiable  because the
staff were only working for two weeks in a month.
He also denied  the sacking of any employee at the hotel. He said from
November 2007, the  workers started receiving their salaries in full.
Mr. Chaouch also claimed  that his hotel pays the highest wages among all the
hotels, with D2, 000 a month  as the lowest salary.

Former Gamtel MD’s Trial Adjourned
By  Bubacarr  K. Sowe
Proceedings of the trial of Omar Ndow, former Managing  Director of Gamtel,
could not continue on Thursday as expected due to the  absence of his lawyer.
Mr. Ndow, who is now facing one count, defying the  regulations of The Gambia
Public Procurement Authority (GPPA), after his  acquittal on the other count,
is in the middle of his evidence as a defence  witness. Assistant
Superintendent of Police, Momodou Bojang, who is prosecuting  Mr. Ndow, told the Banjul
Magistrates Court that he had spoken to his lawyer,  Sheriff Tambedou, who said
he is traveling to Dakar.
Principal Magistrate  Baboucarr Y. Camara, therefore, deferred the
continuation of Mr. Ndow’s  testimony to January 22.

Court Admits Some Cassamance  Insurgents’ Statements
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The Banjul Magistrates’ Court  on Thursday admitted the cautionary statements
of two of the alleged Cassamance  insurgents as part of the evidence against
them.
The admission of the  statements of Nuha Jammeh and Abdou Salam Jammeh, as
evidence, came at the end  of voir dire (trial within a trial) that was meant to
proof the voluntariness of  their cautionary statements while under police
interrogation.
Nuha and Abdou  Salam are among nine alleged Cassamance rebels who are being
tried for spying,  planning attack on Senegal and unlawful possession of
Gambian national identity  documents.
In his ruling, Principal Magistrate B.Y Camara said that Nuha  Jammeh was
straightforward in his evidence and he spoke the truth in his  statement.
For Abdou Salam, the Magistrate said he was an interesting  character and
gave a lengthy claim of torture.
Magistrate Camara said that  although Abdou Salam made allegations of being
tortured with electric shock and  showed his pants to the court but their was
no blood stain on it.
He also  said that there was no physical burn that was made available to the
court by  Abdou Salam.
Magistrate Camara added that the courts will rely on  corroborated evidence
so that it can decide otherwise.
The case continues on  January 23 for the hearing of the main trial.

K.M.C Commission 25  New Tractors And Trailers
By Isatou Bittaye
The Kanifing Municipal  Council, on Wednesday, January 16, commissioned
twenty-five new tractors and  trailers for efficient collection and disposal of
waste in the municipality. The  commissioning of the tractors was held at the KMC
grounds.
In his welcome  remarks, the chairman of the KMC Interim Committee, Mr. Gibou
Jagne, said the  council has been faced with tremendous challenges over the
years in addressing  the problems that are associated with waste collection and
disposal. He said it  is against this background that efforts are being made
to acquire the tractors  and trailers which he said will benefit the
municipality.
Speaking at the  ceremony, the Chief Executive Officer of KMC, Mr. Abdoulie
M.B Sanyang said the  council was unable to collect waste regularly to the
satisfaction of residents  who pay rates and taxes in anticipation of such basic
social services. He added  that the constraints were as a result of lack of
adequate resources.  Mr.  Sanyang noted that with the council’s current
development plan, they will ensure  that unsatisfactory services become a thing of the
past. He urged the people to  ensure that the tractors and trailers are used
for the purpose for which they  are meant in order for them to realise their
objectives.
In commissioning the  tractors, the Secretary of State for Local Government,
Lands and Religious  Affairs, Mr. Ismaila Sambou, said waste collection and
disposal are some of the  core responsibilities of the Municipalities and Area
Councils. He said it is the  responsibility of his Department of State to
ensure that all forms of social  services are delivered by the councils regularly
and efficiently to improve the  livelihood of the people. Mr. Sambou stated
that the Kanifing Municipality is  the most densely populated township in The
Gambia and the provision of adequate  and regular cleansing service by the KMC is
a subject of great difficulty. He  noted that local government councils are
not profit making institutions and  their role is to collect property rates and
taxes and plough it back to  communities in the form of services.
SoS Sambou added that with the proper  management of the tractors and
trailers, the problem of waste collection in the  Municipality will be solved. He
congratulated the Management and Staff of the  KMC for returning to the people a
substantial D9.6 million of their tax monies  in the form of the tractors.

Arab Consulting Engineers To Supervise  Westfield -  Sukuta Road Construction
By Isatou Bittaye
“Arab  Consulting Engineers of Egypt are the design and supervision
consultants for the  proposed Westfield-Sukuta road project”, according to information
from GAMWORKS  officials. The GAMWORKS officials made this disclosure in an
interview with  FOROYAA. According to the agency officials, the Westfield -
Sukuta Road is a 7.5  km stretch and has experienced severe deterioration as its
surface suffered  deformations and that it is the economic and social
importance of the road that  makes the rehabilitation of the road a high priority to
the government. It is  said that GAMWORKS agency is responsible for the
implementation of the  reconstruction of the road; that the tender documents for the
works are being  finalised, and upon completion of the bidding documents, a
tendering process  will be launched to recruit the contractor. The works are
expected to start by  the second quarter of this year and should last for 18
months.
The GAMWORKS  officials noted that the construction will be financed by a
loan from the  Islamic Development Bank based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to the
tune of US$7.705  million and the government will contribute US$0.867 million.
They indicated that  the duration of the loan is 25 years with a grace period of
7 years and that the  service fee, which will not exceed 2.5% of the loan, is
calculated on an annual  basis.
It is revealed that the reconstruction of the road will comprise  drainage,
traffic and street lights, parking bays and traffic signs; that the  project
will also provide concrete pedestrian walkways on both sides of the road  for
the benefit of people with mobility problems, especially those in wheel  chairs;
that as part of the works, there will be relocation of public utilities  such
as electricity cables and poles, and water pipes; that there will be
diversions for traffic during the course of the works and a proper traffic
management system will be put in place to minimize disruption and inconvenience  to the
public.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
“Too Late! He Lost  Her”
Part 7
With Amie Sillah
The Proposal
Isha’s parents urged her  to accept Amadou. “Don’t you want us to get out of
poverty?” Aunty Marie became  hysterical. “I adopted you since your parents
demised. IF it were your parents  you would agreed. I am not a your mom that’s
why you are treating me as such.”  Aunty Marie broke down. She explained. “
Don’t blackmail me mama! You know that  is not true. You are the only mom I
knew. I have never deny you anything until  now. My marriage is my life. I’ll not
gamble with my life. You can say anything  but you cannot threaten me. I am
innocent. I am a medical student. I’ll graduate  as a doctor. I’ll go for my
specialization. I’ll be economically independent.  I’ll take care of myself
and my parents. It will be my power and will be control  by me. Amadou cannot
give me power. He wants to buy me. He has already bought  you. Excuse me!” “
Wake up! Wake up girl! Amadou is better than Ismail. At least  his family
supports his proposal unlike Ismail whose family hates you with a  passion. Wake up
and smell the coffee!” Aunty Marie warned.

Anita  Hassuls Ismail
Anita hassuled Ismail’s love. She lured him to bed many times.  Ismail
enjoyed the fun but his mind is still glued on Isha. He wanted to give  her another
chance. Ismail distrusted Anita. “This girl has a sinister look. I  cannot
locate it but I believe she is fake.” He soliloqued.

Badou  Corresponds
Badou sent Isha an email explaining his situation. He asked her  to collect
money for herself and his parents. He said he wants to pay a short  visit. Isha
became very excited. She visit Badara’s parents to give them the  money and
the good news.
Badara’s mom prayed for her success. “You are a well  behaved girl. I would
be privileged if my son takes you as a wife. I pray for  your success in life.”

Isha Shows The Gift To Mama
Isha showed  the money to mama. She is not excited. She felt bitter. “This is
a chicken  change. Amadou could have given you more. Badara is a student in
the U.S While  Amadou is a business tycoon. What's wrong with you? Amadou is
young, handsome,  well mannered, and above all he loves and dotes on you. What
else do you want?”  Mama argued. “I want love mom! I want love! Badara is my
first love. He is  second to none. I accepted Ismail because he was always
there during Badara’s  incommunicado. I have no feeling for Amadou. He is your
candidate not  mine.”

Amadou Turns Sour
Amadou threatened Isha. “I am handsome,  rich and appealing to any woman. Why
are you behaving otherwise? Are you the  most beautiful girl on earth?’”
Amadou became nasty. Isha fought back. “I am  Isha. I am myself. I don’t care
how you perceive me. I don’t love you. I don’t  have your feelings. Leave me
alone! I don’t care about your money. I don’t love  for money. I am Isha
different from any girl you know.” “To hell with you! I am  out of here but you’ll
live to regret it!” Amadou left in a rage.
“You cannot  threaten me. I did nothing to you. I am innocent. I have not
eaten a butut from  you.” Isha talked back after him.

Badara Shows Up
Badara showed  up unannounced to Isha. She was surprised and excited. True
love never dies. The  lovers picked up from where they have left.

The Frame Up Is  exposed
The evils that men, do live after them. Rugi caught Anita sleeping  with
Ismail.  She became outraged.  She protested, confronted and  fought Anita. “You
are a whore! You framed up Isha to snatch Ismail from her.  You are a rogue!”
Rugi exposed her friend to Ismail.

The Frame  UP
“You are rogues both of you! You conspired and framed up my girl, the love
of my life. No wonder her eyes look innocent. She vehemently denied my
allegations. I have hurt an innocent soul. Where will I start from now?” Ismail
lamented. He turned to the duo. He pointed at Rugi: “You! You’ll suffer in life.
You are gudgeous. You have hurt my feelings. I’ll not forgive you for a long
time. Go! You are a beautiful damsel. Go and find your true love. Don’t
destroy what Allah have put together! Allah will curse you if you don’t take
time.” He turned to Anita. She was shattered and embarrassed. The exposure has
weakened her a great deal. She was speechless. She begged for mercy. “I am a
desperate woman in love. I’ll do anything to get you. I love you and you love
Isha. I came up with a plan supported by Rugi. She thought I was helping your
family get rid of Isha when I am also helping myself to get you for myself.
This  is what has infuriated Isha to expose me to you. Forgive me but know that
I did  what I’ve done for love.”

Ismail Is Disappointed
Ismail  regretted his action towards Isha . He rang her but Isha refused to
take  Ismail’s call. He became desperate.

Too Late! He Lost Her
Too  late to make amends, Isha and Badara have hooked again. Their love is
now in  full gear, no vacancy, no room for any intrusion. Ismail’s calls were
repeatedly  ignored.

Ismail Visits Isha
Ismail decided to pay a visit since  Isha refused to take his calls. He met
her in a relaxed atmosphere. Ismail  stooped down and explained himself; the
frame up and every important information  to win Isha’s heart. “My mother and
sister are ashamed. They asked for your  forgiveness. They have come to realize
that you are the only women for me. They  love you ‘I’. I love you with all
my life you are discipline, warm,  compassionate and dignified.” He took out
an engagement ring and tried to put it  on Isha’s finger. She drew back. “No!
I cannot take your ring. I belong to  someone else. It’s too late! You have
lost me. I have given you ample chance to  prove yourself. You lost it. You
listened to evil gossip and frame up. Allah be  praised! My name is cleared. I am
not a double timer. I  love myself and I  guide my dignity. My honour can
never be compromised. Excuse me!” Ismail broke  down. He cried bitterly for losing
a jewel. He cursed his family for  it.

Badara Arrives
Badara arrived with a broad smile. Mama  became embarrassed. “Sweetie! Whats
up! My Uncles will come today to pay the  bride price. I was a fool but no
more. You have taken your exams, am taking you  to the U.S to do your post
graduate studies!” He swept her off her feet and gave  her a sweetie kiss. Ismail
stared at them a fixed. He became overwhelmed and  heart broken. He admitted
defeat. He left in regret, distress and felt great  loss.

The End

12 New Doctors Sworn Into The Medical  Profession
By Gibairu Janneh
The Gambia Medical and Dental Council, in  collaboration with the University
of The Gambia and the Royal Victoria Teaching  Hospital, has on Wednesday
sworn in 12 medical graduates from the School of  Medicine and Allied Health
Sciences of the University of The Gambia into the  medical profession, at a
ceremony held at the RVTH courtyard.
Speaking at the  ceremony, the Vice Chancellor of the University of The
Gambia, Professor Andreas  Steigen, told the gathering that the swearing in of
these new doctors meant that  success has been repeated. He said the occasion has
manifested that critics who  believe that The Gambia cannot maintain a medical
school have been proven wrong.  “This is a significant day for The Gambia,
the medical education of the  University of the Gambia and of course for future
patients,” Professor Steigen  noted. He, however, added that despite the
success registered by the medical  school, the school still needs better state - of
- the - art facilities to  enable it to excel in its operations. Prof Steigen
concluded by congratulating  Yahya A.J.J Jammeh whose dream for a better
Gambia mandated the University to  start a school of medicine and allied health
sciences in which he has been one  of the greatest assistants. The Vice
Chancellor also hailed the Cuban government  and the RVTH without whose support he
said, “there will be no medical school.”
Addressing the occasion, the Registrar of the Gambia Medical and Dental
Council, Dr. Adama A. Sallah, said the ceremony marks another significant mile
stone in the history of medical education. He said the 100% success rate that
this batch has registered in examination, both internal and external,
demonstrates that the medical school is accelerating very fast. He however told  the
new doctors that much is always expected from one who has been given much.  He
said their education was done with great expenses by the state and their
families and therefore called on them to deliver up to expectations. He advised
them to be humble and principled. He also led the swearing in of the 12 new
house officers.
For his part the Secretary of State for Health, Dr. Malick  Njie, challenged
the new house officers to be good state ambassadors and not  violate their
code of conduct as it will take extra two years before their  certificates will
be changed from pencil writings to ink. He reminded them that  as doctors they
will be examined every day by their patients and if they treat  them well they
survive, if they fail they die. He also broke the news that the  department
of state for health has put in place post graduate medical degree  studies and
the first batch will start this year.
Other speakers at the  ceremony included Dr. Mariatou Jallow, chief medical
director of the RVTH and  Dr. Ousman Nyang, Provost of the School of Medicine
and Allied Health  Sciences.

Driver Charged With Negligence Over The Dead Of  Ten People
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
A driver who was purportedly driving the  truck that ran into a crowd on
Sunday evening at Serrekunda-nding, Kombo  Central, is charged with rash and
negligent acts, which allegedly caused the  dead of ten people.
Alhagie Badjie, who appeared at the Banjul Magistrates’  Court, is currently
in police custody.
Magistrate Kayode Olajubutu said that  his court does not have the
territorial jurisdiction to hear the case and  therefore ordered it to be transferred to
Brikama Magistrates Court which has  the jurisdiction.
The police also said that six people who sustained injuries  are currently
admitted at the Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital.
The deceased  are Adama Camara, Fatoumatta Camara, Malang Camara, Titti
Darboe-Ndow, Alieu  Ceesay, Maimuna Ceesay, Isatou Badjie, Lamin Manka, Bintou Sowe
and Lamin  Sanneh.