GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alfusainey bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:18:12 PST
Thanks Alieu for your forward. I just wanted to point out that there are
things we could do to help prevent heart attacks rather than falling victims
in the middle of a busy highway with a hospital 30 minutes away: Things to
do;
SMOKING--Cigarette smoking is directly responsible for nearly 20% of all
deaths from heart diseases and smokers are 2.5 times more likely to suffer
heart attacks than non-smokers. so for you smokers out there your first step
is to quit. I am happy to say that i am a non-smoker.
CHOLESTEROL--Have your cholesterol level cheked by your doctor to make sure
it is where you want it. Total cholesterol levels should be 200mg/dl or
less. In healthy  people LDL Cholesterol levels should be 160mg/dl or below
and if you LDL is higher you may need to check your diet. Eating more
fibre-rich foods appear to lower the risk for heart disease.
Occassional blood pressure checks and making sure your blood pressure is not
above 140/90. Hypertension contributes to heart attacks.
REGULAR EXERCISE--People who are sedentary are almost twice as likely to
suffer heart attacks as are people who exercise regularly. A mere brisk
walking lowers heart rate and blood pressure, improves cholesterol, fights
blood clots and certainly reduce stress in both men and women.
My friends considering the fact that every year a million and a half
Americans experience a heart attack and heart attacks may be rapidly  fatal,
we should make sure that we do not fall victims to what we could prevent.
God Bless and Peace Be Upon all
Alasana Bah