GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 08:47:30 -0500
Mr. Gassama,
I was rushing to get some sleep when I posted the piece. Thank you for
pointing out a very vital part of the exercise which I omitted, i.e the
beach restoration process using sand from external sources.  What is meant
here is that the sand spits and lagoons created at the Mile4-5 and around
Wadner Beach areas will not be used as a source (which the consultant
considered as a possible option)."External" is used here to mean sand other
than these sand spits.  No, we are not going to transport sand from the
Sahara but rather to use a new technology invented for beach nourishment
and sustainability currently in use in Denmark and Ghana using sand deposit
from the Ocean floor just at the mouth of the River.  The sand d
eposits
have been surveyed and the volume quantified.  The system works as a
gradual sand nourishment process, sucking the sand from the Ocean floor and
depositing it at the pre-determined sites as identified in the zoning
exercise. The collosal sum is an 'estimate', the actual cost will depend on
the tendering procedure, implementation etc. and the long time frame of 30
months may even be an underestimation given our capacity problems in The
Gambia, but it takes account of the tender, supervision and defect
liability phases of the project. If the project can be implemented in less
than 30 months, all the better.   Sidi Sanneh