GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 05:24:21 -0800
Hi Alieu,

I wonder where you got the link you tried to access.  The correct link is:

It's great to learn about a Gambian blazing trails up there in Finland.  In
addition, Nokia is quite a phenomenon in the information revolution, even though
it was only a few years ago it was selling tires and toilet paper.  The company
was covered by an article in Wired magazine in Dec. 1999
(http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.09/)  Matter of fact the headlines at the
Wired homepage also mention the story I heard on BBC yesterday that Ericsson
will no longer be manufacturing cell phones, but will stick to designing them.
Maybe some Gambian entrepreneur should licensed the technology from them!

And yes, Linux was born in Finland, where Linus Torvalds, the creator of the
operating system was a University Student.  Linus has of course now been
snatched by the Americans and is one the brains behind Transmeta that makes the
muck talked about Crusoe chip.  I remember reading an article in Red Herring
(http://www.redherring.com) about Transmeta and it said that the company was
named one of the coolest or something like that companies, even though they were
not sure what Transmeta made.  Transmeta had for a long time kept their work
under wraps, and kept everyone guessing.

So we've got a lot of catching up to do, but I'm sure we will.  Have a great
week, and best wishes.

Katim