GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:33:48 +0100
Are these people serious??

Scattered Janneh and Musa Bala Gaye's appearance before Justice Paul sums up the entire process; a BIG WHITEWASH. These two Ministers are new comers to the APRC gang, so their appearnce is not of any use.

I would have to hear that President Jammeh was the first person to testify before this commission.

Please read the latest:

Gambian ministers justify wealth

 Janneh was asked about his kitchen appliances

Two Gambian ministers have accounted for their assets, on the first day of an official inquiry into the wealth of public officials.
The BBC's Ebrima Sillah in The Gambia says Finance Minister Musa Bala-Gaye was questioned about his lifestyle, including his wife's jewellery.
Information and Technology Minister Amadou Janneh was asked about microwaves, fridges and a generator.
Our correspondent says there is huge public interest in the commission.
Anti-corruption drive
Some people stood outside the offices where the hearings took place.
The presidential inquiry into the wealth of cabinet ministers, civil servants and senior military officers was set up after widespread allegations of corruption.
Mr Bala-Gaye, a prominent figure in the government's drive against corruption, surprised the crowd when he said he did not own a car, our correspondent says.
The presidential commission will sit every day and is expected to deliver its report in three months.
The officials are not being represented by lawyers and are being told to bring official receipts for their assets.
Our correspondent says that many Gambians are looking forward to the day when President Yahya Jammeh appears to declare his wealth.
He siezed power in a coup in 1994, but has since won two presidential elections.