GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:08:45 +0200
Hi Amat!
             You have raised interesting points. We seem to agree on the responsibility of government in promoting and providing enabling environments for Gambian music and culture. We seem to however have differing views on the responsibility of the Gambian public, promoters and musicians. On the issue of the musicians, you are quite right in putting demands on them. I have mentioned some responsibilities in my original post such as the failure to create saleable images, failure to research and produce products in tune with the desires of their customers, laissez faire attitude, the stigma attached to the early musicians etc. but maybe wasn't hard enough on them. I accept the fact that the musicians themselves have as much or more responsibility to contribute to the perfection of their products. Having accepted this, would you accept that you are too lenient with the Gambian public and promoters? Given the state of Gambian music, it requires more than musicians perfecting their work to bring about success. The enabling environment has to be there. In a situation where Gambians would even without listening to a Gambian artist make up their mind not to buy, the production of the best product would not matter much. We as Gambians must sometimes act towards promoting the general good and invest in our artists.

Regarding finding a niche within mbalax, Ifangbondi did that with the creation of Afromanding. However, the other necessary ingredients were not present. The creation of reggaeton and its success are a result of the availability of not only professional training but also the necessary facilities. Its success is a result of the appreciation by the Latin community of the creations of the Latin artists. Another necessary ingredient is the finance. I've heard a lot of people blame the young artists for not playing mbalax but reggae and hiphop. A major factor is the cost. Some years back, laying vocals on an instrumental track cost 300 Dalasis. Recording original tracks cost much more. In 1998 when I was in The Gambia, one of the Gambian musicians was preparing to record an album in Dakar. According to the estimates he showed, the cost of studio
musicians was 50, 000 Dalasis. Studio time, duplication, covers, marketing etc. were not included. Very few musicians can afford this hence the practice of laying vocals on reggae and hiphop instrumentals given that there are no mbalax instrumentals to lay vocals on. I don't believe that "Gambian artists will prosper despite the absence of government support" should they play the right types of music for obvious reasons.

Regarding the financial considerations of promoters, you have a point. I have experience in this field. I took Tippa Irie and the Undivided Roots Band to the Gambia in 1990. I didn't want to bring in a foreign group and let them perform without Gambians. I therefore contracted Super Hamham Band and Musa Mboob to performn alongside Tippa. Senegalese artists who have produced single albums and who do not have bands have been contracted to perform with bands. Gambian promoters should be urged to, for starters, include promising Gambian talents when they contract Senegalese bands to give them exposure. Njok Malick of Yaram Arts contracted Musa Ngum to perfrom alongside Super Jamano in London and Musa Ngum's performance was electrifying. Waka Jagne is featuring Rebellion D Recaller in his carnival show. These are encouraing steps and should be emulated by all promoters. I admit that a change of the status quo won't happen overnight but it is with steps such as these that the cultural domination will be broken. Businesses have responsibilities to the communities that support them. That is why many businesses create funds and trusts to help the community. Gambians should demand from the promoters that they contribute towards the upliftment of Gambian culture.

Gambian deejays should not be let off the hook lightly. They have a responsibility to promote Gambian music. They make it possible for Gambians to be aware of new artists from Senegal and other places. Gambia has good artists such as Sambou Susso, Amie Cherry, Rebellion, Jollofman, Musa Ngum etc. The least the deejays can do for starters is to play these musicians before the parties begin and during intervals. Gambians will start to familiarise themselves with them. The deejays can slot a couple Gambian songs here and there and maybe in a year or two, Gambians will start getting used to the Gambian musicians. What say you? Have a good night.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Buharry.