GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:24:16 -0800
Ginny,
I am certainly not answering for Fuambai, but just wanted to point out that since the book came out in 2000 the health research has kept coming (although it is still very inconclusive), for example a huge WHO-sponsored 6-country study that was "launched" earlier this year.

In the book we also make the argument that it is increasingly unsustainable to expect this to be an issue that is entriely left to Africans to "argue out for themselves." As people from circumcising countries migrate to "the West" and some ask for asylum, give birth in hospitals etc., it has come to touch a wider range of stakeholders.

I don't think anyone would ever discourage you or anyone else from truly trying to educate herself. It is when "we" (always assumed to be Westerners) take it upon ourselves to educate OTHERS that things become problematic.

Finally, there have been so many "flare-ups" of this debate on Gambia-l through the years, and it has sometimes gotten so nasty, that I personally hesitate to go another round....

Best always, Ylva