GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:27:48 +0000
Kalilu,

I have said before that, it is premature to start discussing the security of
ex-president jawara in the country. The question to be answered is whether
he will be allowed to return. And I have no qualms about his abilities and
capabilities at all. The problem I have with him and many others is, the
delusion that he and only he can look after our welfare. I also find it very
difficult to understand why our so-called "younger" veterans of Gambian
politics in the opposition still believe that without him they are finished.
Are they not capable of handling the APRC based on their record?

You may oppose this government to any extent you wish, but do not assume
that others who support them have guns pointed to their heads. Some of us
support them particularly for the path they have carved for the country in
terms of putting in place the necessary tools for national development and
our emancipation. For us to develop, we need peace, stability, justice, good
health and a big investment in our human resources. All these cannot happen
while people are hungry, sick and ignorant. The amount of political
awareness among Gambians is now very high and is still increasing. This is
very healthy, as it will equip us better to deal with many of the issues
that have divided Africans for so long and forcing them to resort to wars.
We can do without that.

Even though I support this government, I am not blind to some of their
excesses. However, the way to curb these is not through constant bickering
and the incitement of people's passions. I believe that is very dangerous.
You, yourself, acknowledged that the voice of reason and compassion can win
over the hearts and by extension the minds of people. I couldn't have agreed
with you more on that. What I find unacceptable is the stark contrast you
seem to be painting between the Jawara and Jammeh camps. If your believe in
the ability of the former president to restore sanity to our society is
based on such a contrast, then it is reasonable to assume that you are of
the opinion that the present oppsoition lacks those qualities and are
therefore not any different from the Jammeh camp. In other words you seem to
be telling us that the present opposition seriously lack the compasiion and
love, qualities that are glaringly obvious in former president Jawara. In
that case they are no different from the ruling party and are therefore no
alternative to them.

Have a good day, Gassa.