GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:56:09 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [>-<] Darboe Hits Back At Juwara - Describes Allegations As
Malicious
From: "THE POINT NEWSPAPER" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Gambia | Post" <[log in to unmask]>

Darboe Hits Back At Juwara -
Describes Allegations As Malicious
The United Democratic Party leader, Lawyer Ousainou Darboe, has described
 the allegations levelled against him by Mr. Lamin Waa Juwara, the party
Propaganda Secretary, as malicious and absolutely false.
Mr. Darboe who broke his long silence to the BBC Focus On Africa last
Friday  on Mr. Juwara's continued attacks, allegations and call on him to
resign for  misusing party funds among others, told the BBC that he does
not want to  involve himself in any unedifying debate and personally
attacks adding that  anytime Mr. Juwara gather few boys under his mango
tree, he begins to make  such allegations.
When asked by BBC whether he uses the party's fund to clear up his taxes
in  order to qualify to contest the last October presidential elections,
Mr.Darboe replied saying that he and the members of his family sold their
 landed property, raised the monies to pay up. "I didn't, I did not take
any  money. Infact, I have been spending my own personal funds in keeping
this  party running," Mr. Darboe told the BBC. Darboe added,  "but why
should I  disclose to anybody. Infact, if it was not this allegations by
him I would  never disclose to the Gambian people the extend that I have
gone in  discomforting myself, discomforting my family by depriving them
from their  landed property just to satisfy the Gambian people."
On Juwara's call for him to resign as the party leader, Mr. Darboe
replied  that if Mr. Juwara didn't agree with how the party is under his
leadership,  then he should resign from the party on principles. He cited
examples in  Cameroon and Kenya whose deputies left and formed their own
parties. "So, if  he feels that things are being placed wrongly under my
leadership, then he  should resign, I think that is the right thing he
should do."
It could be recalled that the propaganda secretary of the UDP, Lamin Waa
Juwara recently, called on the UDP Party leader Lawyer Ousainou Darboe to
 resign on the conditions that he conceded defeat at the last
presidential  elections and that he Darboe used the party's fund to pay
up his taxes in  order to qualify to contest the October Presidential
pools. However, Darboe  remained mute over the issue until last Friday
when he granted an interview  to the BBC.
© 2002 The Point Newspaper, P.O Box 66 Banjul, The Gambia    [August 19,
2002]

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)