GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:22:16 EDT
Bro Karamba:
Thanks for the piece, but please note that extreme violence is an alternative
which our country cannot afford at this moment.

The piece which Ousman Manjang sent to the list a few days ago highlighted
some of the dangers we already face.  We happen to be located in a very
unstable region and violence from within will simply make us more vulnerable
to the external forces which already threaten us.  Violence on a widespread
scale will also have very dire economic consequences on our country, which
will take years to correct.

The events of 1981 are still clear as day in my mind; the rainy morning
punctuated by the voice of Kukoi Samba Sanyang on Radio Syd, the lack of food
which led my family to accept provisions from a sympathetic rebel, random
acts of lawlessness by uncouth elements in the society, and the constant
rattle of the machine guns.

This said, I understand that finding parallels with the 1981 incidnet is very
difficult.  This was a senseless act of violence by a very stupid man.  But,
all the same, I think we should use that unfortunate chapter of our history
as well as the despair and suffering which has engulfed Nations where certain
elements in society have taken it upon themselves to redress issues they have
with their governments.  Finally, I believe we need to take a look at our
country itself, which, in my opinion, is the most vulnerable country and thus
more prone to irreparable damage as a result of widespread violence.

Karamba, this is not an alternative that we should ever have to resort to.
Good always prevails over evil.

Cheers