GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Muhammed Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2017 18:13:51 +0000
Mawdo ahali gonga tiggi. Jarama Dr Mawdo Baba Galleh Jallow

Muhammad Bai Drammeh

 Subject: [G_L] You said it, Mr. Jammeh
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Wednesday, 21 December, 2016, 17:08

 You said it, Mr.
 Jammeh

 By Baba
 Galleh Jallow

 “But this is where the
 All Mighty
 Allah said, your time is up and I thank the All Mighty Allah
 for His decision.
 I will never question this
 decision.”

 Hello Mr. outgoing
 President Yahya Jammeh. Please allow us to have a small
 conversation with you
 in the light of the current dangerous situation you have
 created for our dear
 country. Do you recognize the quote at the top of this essay
 Mr. Jammeh? Sure
 you do. They are your own words, uttered on Friday, December
 2nd,
 2016. You see Mr. Jammeh, we truly believe that God has
 spoken and you said so
 yourself on Friday December 2, 2016. So we cannot stop
 wondering just how, not
 why, you decided to deny the All Mighty Allah’s decision
 after submitting
 graciously to it. Don’t you think that Satan the great
 deceiver has deceived
 you, just as he deceived our first ancestors Adama and Awa?
 Anyway, let’s take
 a little journey back in time to December 2nd, 2016
 to look at what
 you said on that day and what its implications are for you
 personally and for
 our dear little country, especially our women and children
 whom you profess to
 love so much that you will die for
 them.

 In order to
 make sure that our history is properly recorded and that we
 can easily remind
 you, we have taken the trouble to transcribe your entire
 speech of Friday, December
 2nd, 2016, most
 parts of which we will share with you as we remind
 you that your All Mighty Allah has indeed spoken. Here is
 how you started your
 concession speech that day, which you have since disowned as
 if it never came
 out of your very own horse’s mouth. As usual, you started
 by invoking the name
 of the All Mighty Allah and thanking him four times:

 “Bisimilahi Rahmani Rahim.
 Alhamdulilai Rabilalamina, Alhamdulilai Rabilalamina,
 Alhamdulilai
 Rabilalamina, Alhamdulilai Rabilalamina.”

 “Fellow Gambians and
 friends of The Gambia, APRC supporters, militants, yai
 compins, campaign managers,
 the women of The Gambia, the
 children of The Gambia, my children. First of all, I want to
 thank every one of
 you, for the support for the past 22 years. I have always
 made it very clear I
 will never rule this country without your mandate since we
 started elections.
 And I will never cheat or dispute the elections, because
 this is the most
 transparent, rig-proof elections in the whole world. You
 have spoken in no
 uncertain terms. Remember that I have always told you that
 even if my opponent
 leads by one vote, I will accept the results because they
 are transparent. Our
 system of election is winner take
 all.”

 Now Mr.
 out-going president, you certainly cannot deny that you made
 the above remarks
 about never ruling the country without our mandate and that
 you will never
 dispute the elections because our election system is
 rig-proof? You certainly
 cannot deny that Mr. Barrow won the election by at least one
 vote. How then can
 you turn around and say the elections were rigged just
 because you lost? Just
 in case you failed to notice, electoral commissions do not
 steal elections for
 opposition candidates in Africa. If they do steal at all,
 they steal for
 sitting presidents, if only to save their own skins. No one
 has ever heard of
 an African electoral commission rigging the vote for the
 opposition, although
 there are countless stories of how they rig the vote for
 incumbents. So how can
 you say that the Gambian IEC rigged the elections for Mr.
 Barrow? Surely that
 is just a piece of unfunny smutty fiction in your mind that
 you are now trying
 to impose on the Gambian people? And then, how could you
 make those remarks if
 the All Mighty Allah did not will that you speak them? You
 know very well that
 you cannot open your mouth if the All Mighty Allah does not
 will it. You know
 very well that whatever happened on December
 1st and
 2nd
 could never have happened if the All Mighty Allah did not
 will it. It was by
 the All Mighty Allah’s will that the following words
 poured out of your own horse’s
 mouth:

 “I wish to
 take this opportunity to congratulate Mr. Adama Barrow for
 his victory. It’s a
 clear victory because our system says simple majority. I
 wish him all the best
 and I wish all Gambians the best. As a true Muslim,
 who believes in the All
 Mighty Allah, I will never question Allah’s decision today
 or at any material
 time. I came on a
 Friday 22nd of the
 month of July 1994.
 Today Friday the 2nd of
 December 2016, you Gambians have decided
 that I should take the back seat. You have voted for
 somebody to lead our
 country, this is our country, and I wish you all the best. I
 have wished that
 we continue our program of development. But this is where the All Mighty Allah said,
 your time is up and I thank the All Mighty Allah for His
 decision. I will never
 question this decision. I believe in the All Mighty
 Allah. As a slave
 and servant of the All Mighty Allah I will never question
 what happens to me
 because nothing happens without the will of the All Mighty
 Allah.”

 Now Mr.
 Jammeh, how can you say such things and then turn right
 around and question the
 All Mighty Allah’s decision? Do you know how many times
 you mentioned the All
 Mighty Allah’s name in that short segment of your speech
 Mr. Jammeh? Seven
 times! We took time to count them because we wanted to make
 sure that you know
 that you are denying the will of the All
 Mighty Allah; the very All
 Mighty Allah in whose name you like to swear,
 swagger and brag. We are sure you know that the All Mighty
 Allah is pretty mad
 at you right now. Beware God’s wrath, Mr. Jammeh. If you
 do not redeem yourself
 right now, we dread to even imagine what the All Mighty
 Allah will do to you.
 You are making light of the All Mighty Allah by questioning
 His decision.

 And as you
 know Mr. outgoing president Jammeh and soon-to-be former
 Babili Mansa, the
 voice of the people is indeed the voice of God. And we were
 so proud to see
 that you took time to recognize that the Gambian people have
 spoken, which of
 course means that God has spoken. Here are more of your own
 words on the
 matter, transcribed word for word from your own horse’s
 mouth. You said:

 “You the
 Gambian people have spoken and I want to thank you for all
 the support for the
 past 22 years. I will always love you. I will live and die
 for you. But this
 time around, not as a president but as a champion farmer.
 This country, I’m
 married to this country. I’m not moving an inch. Some of
 the members of the
 cabinet and some of you civil servants who may not have a
 job, come to Kanilai
 Farms if you want to be a farmer, because farming is in my
 blood and I want to
 eat what I grow and grow what I eat. This is a program I had
 for all Gambians
 as a president. Now that I am no longer the president, I
 will continue my
 program and vision because eating what you grow and growing
 what you eat makes
 you healthier and more independent. I want to once again
 that the youth of this
 country. I want to thank the women of this country. And I
 want to thank the
 schoolchildren of this country who stand hours under the hot
 son to show me
 their love. I will always love you. I will always love you
 and I will live to
 love you because you are the future of this country. I do
 hope that the free
 education that we promised, it was not an empty promise.
 Whatever I promised
 you I swore to the Holy Quran.” (Here you raised the Holy
 Quran from your desk,
 and then you continued) “The Holy Quran belongs to the All
 Mighty Allah and as
 a Muslim, to prove that what I am saying is not false, I
 swear to this Holy
 Quran.” (You lowered and lifted the Holy Quran up again
 and continued) “It
 is only to this Holy Quran that I swore, that I will always
 rule this country
 with the mandate of the people and I will never cheat at any
 election.
 Whether if, even if, the election system is different, I
 want to make sure that
 when I rule this country, I rule with a clear conscience
 without any question
 mark hanging over my head because if I cheat I’m no longer
 a Muslim. Allah doesn’t
 like cheating. Allah doesn’t like lying. I have never lied
 to you Gambian
 people. Whatever I have said is genuine and I live by
 that.”

 Well, well
 Mr. Jammeh. ‘Nough said now. You just swore to the Holy
 Quran that you will
 only rule this country with the mandate of the people. How
 come you now say you
 do not accept the mandate of the people? Did you not swear
 by the Holy Quran
 that “Whatever I have said is genuine and I live by
 that”? Now Mr. Jammeh, you
 certainly are not living by what you said to the Gambian
 people on Friday
 December 2nd? How do
 you explain that? Don’t you think that Satan
 convinced you to lie at least this one time in your entire
 life? We think that
 Satan the great deceiver is deceiving you into denying the
 will of All Mighty
 Allah after you accepted it. We are sure you know that’s
 Satan’s specialty
 dangling seeming truths and worldly power and riches and
 pleasure before our
 eyes in order to lead us into hell and then abandon us.
 Beware the great
 deceiver Mr. Jammeh. Beware the fire of hell which as you
 know, the All Mighty
 Allah promises to fill with stones and men who deny His will
 and fall for the
 juicy temptations of Satan the great deceiver. Repent Jammeh
 and redeem
 yourself before it’s too late. Here you are again, word
 for word, from your own
 horse’s mouth. It was you who
 said:

 “On this
 note once again, I want to thank the president-elect Adama
 Barrow. Let him
 forget the past, what happened during the campaign. I want
 you to understand
 that he is the president of all Gambians irrespective of who
 voted for him and
 who didn’t vote for him. And I want to assure you that he
 has my support in
 maintaining peace and security in this country. The peace
 and security of this
 country, the stability of this country is what guarantees
 prosperity and
 development for every Gambian. Without peace and
 security, not a Muslim,
 not a Christian, will be able to worship the All Mighty
 Allah. So I
 hope that he will be able to rein in his supporters; let
 them understand that
 we are all Gambians. As I
 said, until I hand over to him, peace
 and security, I will not compromise. And as long as I live also,
 because I’m not going anywhere I’m going to my village,
 the peace and security
 of this country is
 sacrosanct.”

 Now, now,
 Mr. Jammeh. You got to be kidding us, right? You said you
 will not compromise
 the peace and security of our dear country, but is that not
 exactly what you
 have been doing since your ill-fated rejection of the All
 Mighty Allah’s will
 on December 9? You very well know that your ill-fated
 decision to reject the
 All Mighty Allah’s will threatens to destroy the peace and
 security you swore
 never to compromise and bring about fitna,
 the very fitna you
 so solemnly warned
 against when you continued in the following words, coming
 directly from your
 own horse’s mouth:

 “Allah
 doesn’t like fitna and we should not encourage fitna for
 whatever reason,
 because at the end of the day, we lose. Each time we Africans fight, there are
 mothers carrying babies, running across. Some are raped in
 the process. Children
 are raped. Some drown, some die in the sea. That is not our
 wish for this
 country and it will not happen in this country as long as I
 am alive. I
 have no reason to interfere in the government, the new
 government that you have
 elected. You elected your government, you have your
 government.
 But the peace and
 security of this country I
 will not compromise because if there is no peace, God forbid
 I will not be able
 to worship Allah the way I want to and nobody can deprive me
 of that.
 Let us work for peace.
 And I want all
 Gambians to reconcile. We’ve made decisions. We voted.
 There is a winner. Make
 sure you all work for peace. For APRC supporters, maintain peace
 because this is our philosophy. Maintain peace and stability
 because this is
 what is good for this
 country.”

 Yes indeed,
 Mr. Jammeh. We voted and there is a clear winner. And yes,
 indeed Mr. Jammeh
 you said it: Allah doesn’t like fitna.
 But you Mr. Jammeh are the very one causing fitna
 in our dear little country. You just said that when there is
 fitna, women and children are raped,
 mothers with their babies suffer; some drown and some die in
 the sea. Yet, you
 Mr. Jammeh are the very same Mr. Jammeh who is bringing
 fitna to our country by denying the will of the
 All Mighty Allah.
 We can only hope and pray that Satan the great deceiver does
 not succeed in
 making you do such an evil thing, even though he seems to
 have a very powerful
 grip on your soul right now and you are hell-bent of doing
 his will rather than
 accepting the will of the All Mighty Allah and doing the
 right thing.

 One thing
 that really baffles us now, and has really baffled us for
 the past 22 years is
 that you seem to believe that The Gambia is your personal
 property and that
 only you have the right to be our president as long as you
 are alive and
 kicking. How many times have you told us to our faces that
 you will rule us for
 a billion years, whether we like it or not? How many times
 have you told us to
 our faces that neither elections nor coups can remove you
 from power and if we
 don’t like it we can go to hell? Your current rejection of
 the will of the All
 Mighty Allah is further evidence that you really want to
 impose yourself on the
 Gambian people whether we like it or not. The strange thing
 is that when you
 did the honorable thing and conceded electoral defeat on
 December 2nd,
 you reminded us that The Gambia belongs to all Gambians and
 not to any
 particular tribe and by extension, any particular
 individual. Yet, now you are
 insisting that you personally own our country and will not
 step down even
 though the All Mighty Allah says you should. But let’s
 hear what you said on
 the subject again, directly from your own horse’s mouth.
 It was you who said:

 “This
 country also, let me assure you, belongs to all of us. It
 does not belong to
 any particular tribe. One thing we must avoid in this
 country is ethnic
 conflict. We have seen ethnic conflict, the devastating
 effect of ethnic
 conflict. We have seen it in Rwanda. We have seen it in
 Central African
 Republic. Let us not be tribalist. But above all, let
 us believe in the All
 Mighty Allah and that the All Mighty Allah created all of us
 equally.
 Tribalism or racism is evil. It’s unacceptable. During the
 (garbled word here)
 I made it very clear, how racism and tribalism started.
 Under my guard for 22
 years, blacks, whites, greens whatever they are lived in
 this country
 peacefully. For 22 years of my rule, nobody was ever beaten
 in this country for
 being white, brown, Asian or whatever. Because that is what
 a true Muslim
 should be. And I thank The Gambia for being a truly, godly
 smiling coast.”

 Now, Mr.
 Jammeh we need not dwell on this ugly tribalism thing.
 Suffice it say that
 before your 22 years of rule, we had no tribalism or tribal
 politics in The
 Gambia. It was you, Mr. outgoing president and soon-to-be
 former Babili Mansa
 who started insulting certain tribes and making ugly
 insinuations about tribal
 politics. We thank the All Mighty Allah that so far, you
 have failed to stoke
 the flames of tribal hatred among Gambians because we are
 all good Muslims,
 good Christians and good neighbors regardless of our ethnic
 or religious affiliations.
 We also don’t like the fact that you said “for 22 years
 of my rule.” Presidents
 don’t rule, Mr. Jammeh. They lead. But no surprise here
 because you are a
 self-described “dictator for development”, whatever that
 means. Anyway, after
 suddenly disowning tribalism, you proceeded to thank all
 Gambians and
 reaffirmed how the All Mighty Allah willed Adama Barrow and
 the Coalition’s
 victory. Here you are again from your own horse’s
 mouth:

 “On this
 note, I want to thank every one of you. Those who supported
 us, in one way or
 the other, those who campaigned for us. Allah has decided. Allah has decided that
 2nd,
 that today Friday the 2nd of
 December, you the Gambians have decided
 that I’m no longer going to be your president. I will hand
 over, Inshallah
 without fail to the president-elect, Mr. Adama Barrow in
 January. He
 can work on his transition team if he wants. If he wants to
 work with us also
 it is, I have no problems with that. For the sake of you the Gambian people and
 for the sake of the country, with my experience I will help
 him work towards
 the transition whilst I pack . . . (here your audience interrupted you
 with applause) to go and work on my
 farm.”

 Mr. Jammeh,
 did you hear yourself say that “Allah has decided” and
 that “Gambians have
 decided” that you are no longer going to be their
 president? Did you not
 promise that you “will hand over, Inshallah without fail,
 to the president-elect,
 Mr. Adama Barrow in January”?  Why then are
 you now denying Allah’s decision and the decision of
 Gambians Mr. Jammeh? Why
 do you make light of Allah’s decision Mr. Jammeh? Why did
 you go on to assure
 us Gambians that you love us, that you will die for us, and
 that you will
 always stand for us when you are now threating to bring
 about death and
 destruction to our country? And why would you wish us and
 Adama Barrow Godspeed
 only to turn around and try to bring mayhem into our
 country. Just in case you
 don’t remember, here you are again in your own words,
 direct from your own
 horse’s mouth:

 “On this
 note, I wish you Godspeed. And Adama Barrow, I wish you
 Godspeed. But remember
 that the country is greater than any tribe. I wish you all
 the best. Gambians I
 wish you all the best. Thank you, for being with me for 22
 years.” (Here you
 got a standing ovation from your audience. And then you
 said): “Asalamalekum
 waramatula watala wabarakatu. Alsamaday!
 (Here you waved your
 right hand as if in good bye, stood up, and started
 shaking hands as your audience starts leaving the big table.
 But then you sat
 down and started talking again, affirming your undying
 loyalty to your party,
 the APRC. You said): “Let me also make it clear, that I am
 APRC to the core. I
 will never betray the party. I live for the party because
 this is the greatest
 party we have ever created.” (Here your audience claps for
 you again, and you
 continue shaking hands; then you sat down again. Your
 audience returns to their
 seats and you continue talking, asking all those in service
 to continue serving
 our country. Here’s how you put it directly from your own
 horse’s mouth): “And
 for those in service, especially the civil servants, serve
 any government that
 comes if the government wants your service. Your service is
 to the nation.
 In the event that you are not wanted don’t lose hope.
 Whatever becomes of you
 is the
 will of the All Mighty Allah. And if you become bitter about
 it, if you become
 bitter about it, you don’t believe in God. This is
 destiny. Everything is
 predestined.  Have faith. Believe in
 God.
 Thank you.” (Here there was some half-hearted clapping
 again. You turned off
 your mic and picked up the phone to talk to Mr. Barrow. It
 was, to use 2016’s
 word of the year, a surreal moment for all of us. Here you
 are again, in your
 own words, from your own horse’s mouth):

 “Hallo Your
 Excellency President-elect, Mr. Barrow. I’m fine. I’m
 calling you to wish you
 all the best. The Gambian people have spoken and I
 have no reason to contest the will
 of the All Mighty Allah. I wish you all the best. The country will
 be
 in your hands in January, and you are assured of my guidance
 on your
 transition. I don’t mean in selecting people who will be
 in your government,
 but you have to work with me as I pack to go to Kanilai
 while I hand over the
 State House to you. You
 are the elected president of The Gambia and I wish you all
 the
 best. I have no ill
 will and I wish you all the best.” (Here your
 audience claps for you as you listened to Mr. Barrow speak
 on the other end of
 the line, and you say): “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
 Though I will be a farmer
 in Kanilai. Pardon? Convey my congratulations to your entire
 team. This
 is transparent. This is the will of Allah and as a Muslim I
 accept it in good
 faith. The Gambian people have chosen you. After 22 years I
 am grateful to the
 All Mighty Allah for that. I remember I came on a Friday the
 22nd
 of July. I lost on Friday the 2nd of
 December. Allah is
 telling me that my
 time is up and I hand over graciously, with gratitude to the
 Gambian people and
 gratitude to the All Mighty Allah to
 you. Yes. What date?
 1965? So you
 were born before independence? So you are few months older
 than me; all the
 best. I think that’s why they didn’t call you old pa.”
 (Here you laugh really
 hard showing your big white teeth. And you continued): “I
 wish you all the best
 Mr. Barrow. Okay? And you have my full support. Let us make
 sure that you work
 towards maintaining peace and stability because without
 peace and stability let
 me make it clear you cannot achieve anything in anywhere in
 Africa. I wish you
 all the best. Yes, we’ll work on it, yes we’ll meet next
 week. It depends on
 your calendar; you are
 the president-elect now I’m the outgoing
 president. So,
 you give us time, and, and from Tuesday I will be free. Yes.
 Balla Jahumpa, Balla
 Jahumpa. You know Honorable Balla Jahumpa my campaign
 manager. Yes, he spoke to
 you this morning as well. Oh, Mr. Barrow you are also
 coughing (Here you laugh
 and cough into your neck scarf and continued): “Mr. Barrow
 you are also
 coughing like me (you laugh again). “All the best my dear,
 all the best okay? I
 have no ill-feelings towards you. Yes, I will hand you over
 to Balla so that
 you can talk to him. I
 wish you all the best Mr. Barrow. And I
 wish all the Gambian people all the best whether they
 support or not. The
 country is greater than all of us. Thank you very much. All the best.
 Thank you. Thank you.”

 There was
 more clapping as you handed the phone over to Mr. Jahumpa,
 adjusted your grand
 boubou and started talking again. You thanked everyone from
 your office staff
 to the National Assembly and everyone who served our country
 under what you
 called your “22 years of progressive rule”. You then
 proceeded in the following
 words, directly from your own horse’s
 mouth:

 “I thank you
 All Mighty Allah for answering to most of my prayers on
 behalf of you the
 Gambian people. I have no regrets. I’ve done what is
 impossible in Africa” (Here
 there was some hesitant clapping by your audience).
 “I’ve done what is
 impossible in Africa in 22 years without oil, without what.
 I’m
 grateful to the All Mighty Allah. And this is destiny.
 Alsamaday. Thank
 you.” (Here you got another standing ovation from your
 audience which you
 interrupted with more words from your own horse’s mouth):
 “I want to thank
 members of the security, the armed forces, police, service
 chiefs. I want to
 thank GRTS, the staff and especially the camera men because
 the camera men
 especially Sankung, Njie and Agil. And others. I take the
 major part of the
 dust but I think they take the rest of the dust, sitting on
 the back of the
 pick-up, trying to film, whether we are on the highway or in
 the bush. I want
 to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. May the All
 Mighty Allah guide
 and protect all of you. May the All Mighty Allah grant you
 what you wish in
 your hearts, as long as it is good for the country and good
 for you. And I wish
 all the Gambians all the best. I’m grateful that you gave
 me the chance to
 serve you for 22 years. May the All Mighty Allah reward you
 all. The women, the
 children, the youths of this country; I have nothing against
 men, but through
 the 22 years journey, in whatever field of endeavor I was
 involved in, if it
 were not for the Gambian women and youth, we would have
 failed. Thank you
 Gambian women, from the bottom of my heart. May the All
 Mighty Allah, grant all
 what you wish for yourselves. May the All Mighty Allah guide
 and protect the
 children of this country, the youth of this country, the
 women of this country,
 and every citizen and non-citizen in this beautiful country
 The Gambia.
 Asalamalekum waramatula watala wabarakatu.”

 And here you
 ended your concession speech amid clapping as the video
 ends. Now then Mr.
 out-going president Jammeh and soon-to-be former Babili
 Mansa, if you love the
 Gambian women and children so much, why are you putting
 their lives and futures
 in jeopardy by denying the will of the Gambian people and
 the will of the All
 Mighty Allah? Why are you bringing fitna
 into the lives of the very women and children you call your
 own, the very
 people you profess to love so much? Well, we are not trying
 to make you see
 reason because the All Mighty Allah has already decided and
 you know what
 happens to people who defy the will of the All Mighty Allah.
 Alsamaday, Mr. outgoing
 president and soon-to-be former Babili Mansa. We hope
 against hope that you see
 reason and do the right thing by accepting the will of the
 All Mighty Allah. On
 our side, we might yet have reason to have another
 conversation with you again
 in the near future, Insha Allah. May the All Mighty Allah
 defeat Satan and all
 those who follow him and save our dear little Gambia and all
 honest Gambians
 from fitna. We say unto you Mr. Jammeh,
 Maa
 saa Allahu. La qawla walaa quwata illah
 Billahi. God's will
 be done.
 There is no power but God’s.

 Author’s Note:
 Please share as widely as possible. Jammeh cannot deny
 the will of God
 expressed through the will of the sovereign people of The
 Gambia. We must protect and nurture this beautiful Gambian
 Renaissance.
 #JammehMustGo!

 To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to
 the Gambia-L Web interface