GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MOMODOU BAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:18:10 -0800
George,

By saying or indeed implying that I am a supporter or
shympathiser of the APRC regime I feel really
insulted.

I am no fool, and perhaps you are best advised to hold
your fire until you get to know me better.

I do not have time at the moment for strong exchanges
for I am taking exams, and even if I did have time, I
do not think that problems can be solved by people
exchanging intimidating messages to each other across
the globe. I feel that you have totally missed my
point. Maybe by the end of next week I will write to
make my point more clear.

I am sorry that you got the wrong side of my message
which was meant to be a light hearted way of saying
that this does not necessarily mean that this is what
is going to happen.

Anyway at the moment I am big enough to apologise for
not making my point clear enough, I hope that you and
Momodou Olly-mboge will also be big enough to
apologise for insulting me so badly by mistaking me
for an APRC supporter.

Please reply.

Momodou.

--- momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<HR>
<P>George,</P>
<P>Well said!  APRC sympathizers are all charlatans.
They can never come up with any sound
argument concerning the state of affairs our
country.  Their piffling makes to puke too.</P>
<P>Keep up the good work.</P>
<P>regards,</P>
<P>Mboge  <BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Mr Makaveli
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: The Gambia and related-issues
mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Real-Time Results From Our
Online Presidential Election Poll
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:14:28 -0600
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Momodou Bah et al,
<DIV></DIV>> Please note this is simply an online
poll. People who participated know
<DIV></DIV>>their opinions matter and am sure with
clear conscience chose which
<DIV></DIV>>cadidate they wish to support. Now, while
it may be true that not all
<DIV></DIV>>average gambian voter knows a little about
the internet, it is worth noting
<DIV></DIV>>that supposedly people had access to
information and are enlightened about
<DIV></DIV>>the real political climate in the Gambia
in which the current ruling
<DIV></DIV>>party's reputation is associated with
corruption, killings and God knows
<DIV></DIV>>what, then I can assure you that in a free
and fair election the opposition
<DIV></DIV>>will by all means lash out the callous
APRC by far.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>But as you lamented, " matters of
elections in The Gambia are a bit more
<DIV></DIV>>complicated than an internet survey can
show". And the reasons are best
<DIV></DIV>>known to you Mr Bah. Maybe words like
INTIMIDATION and INDUCEMENT will
<DIV></DIV>>echo your sentiment. Options most voters
are subjugated to in the areas
<DIV></DIV>>dominated by you know who.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>You wrote and I quote, "Perhaps it is only
a representation of the
<DIV></DIV>>feelings of the users of the L. And for
that, it is in no way surprising."
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Well I got news for you Mo. If everyone in
the Gambia are as enlightened as
<DIV></DIV>>members of the L as well as visitors of
our website in regards to what this
<DIV></DIV>>current despicable regime represents and
the damage they've already done
<DIV></DIV>>to our nation, then according to our poll,
only 7% of the people would
<DIV></DIV>>have voted for APRC. Only a loser would
suggest a recount after winning 7%
<DIV></DIV>>of the entire votes. By having this poll,
we're making our point clear.
<DIV></DIV>>And that is an enlightened Gambian would
NOT vote for a dictator period.
<DIV></DIV>>Let me leave you with this wonderful
quotation from Mr Halifa Sallah :
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> "Election is simply a mechanism for the
peaceful transfer of
<DIV></DIV>> the authority of representation. The most
ideal state for
<DIV></DIV>> elections is where people are totally
free from inducement or
<DIV></DIV>> intimidation and have total access to
information from all
<DIV></DIV>> those who seek representation in order to
be able to make
<DIV></DIV>> informed choices.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> History, however, has shown that those
who are hungry for
<DIV></DIV>> power hardly create conditions that are
ideal for elections
<DIV></DIV>> to take place. Inducement and
intimidation are tools to cling
<DIV></DIV>> on to power. Notwithstanding, history has
made it categorically
<DIV></DIV>> clear that no amount of inducement or
intimidation can bar a
<DIV></DIV>> people from bringing change when they are
determined to do so.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> Power, therefore, lies with the people.
Inducement only works
<DIV></DIV>> when people do not treasure their
liberty. Intimidation only
<DIV></DIV>> works when people are ignorant of their
worth. When people know
<DIV></DIV>> who they truly are and what they are
worth, they will not cower
<DIV></DIV>> before any human being on the face of the
earth. "
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>So Mr Momodou Bah , I just hope you've
been enlightened. I have not yet
<DIV></DIV>>been convinced by a single supporter of
this callous APRC. Do you want to
<DIV></DIV>>give me your reasons too? Why don't we
have supporters of this regime
<DIV></DIV>>give us their reasons for being so loyal
to such an unscrupulous and
<DIV></DIV>>authoritarian government. The ones(excuses
i.e)I heard so far makes me
<DIV></DIV>>puke, but am still willing to listen and
give them the benefit of the
<DIV></DIV>>doubt. Let's have clean debate , anyone?
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>> Mr Makaveli (o-:)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>From: MOMODOU BAH <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Real-Time Results From Our
Online Presidential Election Poll
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Jan 20, 2001
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>SORRY GUYS,
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I just do not think that this in any way
gives a
<DIV></DIV>>picture of what the outcome of elections
in the Gambia
<DIV></DIV>>are going to be like. Perhaps it is only a
<DIV></DIV>>representation of the feelings of the
users of the L.
<DIV></DIV>>And for that, it is in no way surprising.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I think matters of elections in The Gambia
are a bit
<DIV></DIV>>more complicated than an internet survey
can show. We
<DIV></DIV>>all know that the average Gambian voter
knows little
<DIV></DIV>>about the internet, how then can a
representative
<DIV></DIV>>sample of voters be taken from this
survey?
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>But it is good to know that someone has a
sense of
<DIV></DIV>>humour. I agree with the recount (not the
suggested
<DIV></DIV>>result of the recount though).
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives
of postings, go to the Gambia-L
<DIV></DIV>>Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
<DIV></DIV>>You may also send subscription requests to
<DIV></DIV>>if you have problems accessing the web
interface and remember to write your full name and
e-mail address.
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a