GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:51:34 GMT
Ous Bojang:

You were/are right by saying that when you visited the UK some time ago, you
did notice/observe that many of the Homes were not actually connected to the
Internet. Well, this is because maintaining an Internet at home is a bit
expensive here.

You need a (separate) telephone line and you have to pay a monthly line
rental for the phone. And apart from the monthly line rental, you also have
to pay British Telecom (BT) for the number of minutes or hours you spend on
the Net anytime you use it.

I stand corrected here, but as I understand it, in the US, the phone line is
completely free. Anyway, in the UK, there are now plans to introduce the
same system you people have in the US, but that is not the case so far. No
wonder, in the US, the number of adults using the Internet has surpassed the
100 million mark, while in the UK, there are only around 15 million Internet
users.

Having said that, I have to say that I am so glad/thrilled that I am about
to have an Internet Connection at home. Anyway, I better go! Yus, I hope
you'll find time to watch the European Cup Final tommorow.
Omar Drammeh or Baboucarr Sillah: Tell me who will win the cup?

Ebrima