GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:07:40 -0700
          A CALL ON THE SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF GAMBIA

                   MARCH TO THE UNITED NATIONS!

National Democratic Action Movement (NDAM) in collaboration with Gambians United Against Jammeh's Tyranny call on all Gambians, Africans and all freedom-loving people to join us in this historic march to the U.N. to protest the barbaric behavior of the Jammeh regime against the peace-loving Gambians.

In the past nine years, Jammeh and his gang of thugs- the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Gambia National Army (GNA), paramilitary and July 22 Movement, have committed a series of heinous CRIMES against us with absolute impunity. The following list of uninvestigated CRIMES by the Jammeh regime is the focus and reason for this protest.

1)     The slaughter of his fellow soldiers at the Yundum
Barracks months after the coup in 1994.
2)     The murder of Ousman koro Ceesay, the first Finance
Minister on June 23, 1995.
    3) The brutal torture of eight members of the United
Democratic Party (UDP) in 1996.
 4) The fire bombing of the FM1 radio station.
 5) The murder of GAMSU students on April 10 and 11,
2000.The original coroner's inquest was replaced with the state's own version.
     6) The persistent harassment, arrests and the indefinite
  detention of Dumo Saho and co., and Lamin Waa
  Juwara.
      7) The fire bombing of the office of the Independent
           Newspaper and the arrest and detention of its Editor,
           Abdoulie Sey.
       8) The recent assassination attempt on lawyer Ousman
            Sillah. To no dismay of ours, the official statement
             from the regime is that, "if we were involved, we
              would have done it professionally".

         Fellow compatriots, here is what the Jammeh regime have become. We believe that nine years is too damn long to have put up with Jammeh's tyranny. We never harbored any illusions that the AFPRC-APRC will conduct a thorough investigation in any of these crimes and render appropriate punishment to the culprits. The vast majority of Gambians have no confidence in the state and its "kangaroo courts" to render "justice".

Therefore, we engage in a new method of struggle to restore sanity in our beloved country. We are taking our case to the United Nations with one specific demand:

WE WANT AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION TO ALL THESE CRIMINAL ATROCITIES BY THE JAMMEH REGIME AGAINST THE GAMBIAN PEOPLE.

Finally, compatriots, we have organized many demonstrations against the AFPRC-APRC since their "lift on to the saddles of power" which were an inspiration to the compatriots back home. One such demonstration was the ALD 2000 march through the streets of Washington, DC protesting the murder of the GAMSU students. Let us repeat that march by hundred-fold in New York City.

We urge all brothers and sisters to sacrifice for this one day on APRIL 9th, 2004. We have ample time to submit for one or two day vacation to be part of history. History will remember you as a participant in the LIBERATION of our beloved country from this fascist behavior of the Jammeh regime. To our compatriots in Europe and elsewhere, if you can't fly in, try your level best to organize a demonstration in your areas in solidarity. This call is for all of us who are of necessary birth; we are the victims of this tyranny, we must be willing to change our wretched existence by our own efforts.
DETAILS WILL FOLLOW. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO COORDINATE THE OUT-REACH IN YOUR RESPECTIVE STATES. SPREAD THE WORD! SPREAD THE WORD!

WHAT: MARCH TO THE UNITED NATIONS
WHEN: APRIL 09,2004
WHERE: ASSEMBLE AT THE GAMBIA MISSION AND MARCH
             TO DAG HAMMARSKJOLD PARK
 TIME: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM.