GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yeks drame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:05:14 PDT
My stance is to justify the value and the appreciation for the use of other
languages too on this parnell. Even at the "bantaba" original! people do
speak different languages, and here the aroma and beautity of the varieties
made those societies to enjoye a multicultural environment. I mean, after
having all those requirements, which I suppose is one of the characteristics
of an ideal "bantaba",why should it be merginal in the usage of the mediums?

As we can see, this communication device is nothing like "regional" or
"local", it covers large distance areas, to say the entire universe! It is
therefore, fundamental to recognise the fact that this forum should not be
treated as secluded in such a manner that only Enlish speaking audience
would have the opportunity to express themselves and make their views heard.

To understand the other will explain a lot about our percieve value for
empathy. Yes, the majority is the must important part of every civilize
society. However, to promote that we must value the importance of the
minority, and that is, we have to know where they stand. To rally behind the
old "goose says" "English is our official language" is not promoting
knowledge, instead we keep on dancing to the old tunes. And, I wonder what
is considered to be a common language on a global description?

Well, I buy your compromise, to transulate will do a great favour, but lets
not condemn the idea of writing in other languages.It is not just fear!