GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
fatima -D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:35:46 -0500
  We should always desist from negative journalism or try to applaud anyone
who is trying to discredit our own brothers and sisters . Lets us support
Mr.janneh for this great achievement ..how about we read this ..atleast this
sets as a warning for negative reporting.

http://www.thisdayonline.com

Oil-For-Food: Sunday Times of London Apologises to Kofi Annan's Son.
By Ndubuisi Francis, 11.13.2005

Leading British newspaper, The Sunday Times has admitted in court that its
story in the January 30, 2005 edition that Kojo Annan, son of the Secretary
General of the United Nations, Kofi Annan was involved in the $60 million
Iraqi Oil-For-Food scandal otherwise known as "SAMIR Deal" was entirely
false and should not have been published.
It has accepted not only to publish an appropriate apology but also pay an
"undisclsoed substantial damages" and reimburse the legal costs incurred by
Kojo Annan.
The story captioned "Kofi Annan's Son 'Admits' Oil Dealing" claimed that
Kojo had admitted to a friend that he was involved in negotiations to sell
millions of dollars of Iraqi oil under the auspices of the country's
embattled former leader, Saddam Hussein.
The alleged admission was said to have increased pressure on his father,
Kofi Annan, to resign from his position as the UN scribe.
The younger Annan was alleged to have become involved in negotiations to
sell two million barrels of Iraqi oil to Moroccan company in 2001
Following the publication, Kojo had sued the newspaper in the Higher Court
of Justice, Queen's Bench Division in London.
From the commencement of proceedings on February 4, 2005.

The Sunday Times claimed the allegation was true, claiming that it had
sources to corroborate the story and accordingly sought to set up a defence
justification.
But the report of the United Nations Independent Inquiry into the
Oil-For-Food Programme which investigated the allegations against Kojo Annan
turned in a verdict of not guilty.
"An article published in a British newspaper suggested that Kojo Annan was
linked to a transaction for $60 million worth of Iraq oil negotiated through
a company called Hazy Investments for sale to a Moroccan company, SAMIR Oil
(SAMIR). The article claimed that Hazy Investments owned and operated by
Hani Yamani, involved Kojo Annan. The committee has investigated the
allegation of this transaction and has not found any transaction with SAMIR
through Hazy Investments", the report of the UN panel read.
As a result of the UN Inquiry, the newspaper, through its counsel, Alastair
Brett has admitted in the High Court of  Justice in the Queen's Bench
Division that it erred and should not have published the story against Kojo
Annan.
The British publication has therefore not only agreed to publish an
appropriate apology but has apologised in court to retract the libel as well
as accepted not to republish the offensive story.
In addition, Sunday Times is to pay a substantial undisclosed damages to
Annan and also reimburse his legal costs.
Reacting to the settlement, solicitor to the newspaper, Alastair Brett told
the court: "My Lord, I accept everything my friend, Mr. Smith (Counsel for
Annan) has said. Through me the defendant (Sunday Times) offers its
apologies to the claimant for the distress and embarrassment the claimant
says was caused by the publication of this allegation. It entirely accepts
that the allegation was untrue."
Following these settlement offers by the newspaper, Annan has decided not to
pursue the court case further considering that his reputation has been fully
vindicated.
Reacting to the developments, Kojo Annan said: "Obviously I have neither the
time, the inclination, nor the financial ability to fight each and every
article that has appeared about me. Today's victory is in respect of one
article that apperaed in the Sunday Time that I found very offensive and
hurtful. It made  a very serious accusation. It was wrong.
"My integrity, and more importantly that of my father, was repeatedly called
into question during the last year by some in the media and scrutinised from
all corners. We retained our dignity throughout whilst I personally was
being hounded daily.
"I am delighted that this ordeal is seemingly coming to an end. It has been
extremely stressful for my father, the rest of my family, and I, to have
endured the countless unfounded statements alleging my supposed
participation in the Oil For Food programme. These allegations have greatly
affected me both personally and from a business perspective.
"I maintain my innocence and at least as against the Sunday Times in respect
of the particular article that formed the centre of this dispute, and the
central allegation it chose to make. I had an opportunity to prove that
innocence", Kojo Annan concluded.