GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:37:24 PDT
This is Gambia National Army reaction to an article that appeared in the
Independent some days ago. I hope it help us understand what our young boys
and girls in uniform are up against!

Malanding Jaiteh

Those who live by
the sword die by
the sword

This is in response to Ex-Sergeant Ibrima Faati's statement in your
         Monday edition of 3rd July 2000 under the caption 'Why was I
detained?'

The Gambia Armed Forces is baffled by Faati's proclaimed naivety
on his arrest.

The protection of the security and integrity of the nation is our
mandate and we would leave no stone unturned in the execution of
this mandate.

So if Faati or anyone else is suspected of involvement in any form of
activity which is a threat to the security of the country, the
individual will be arrested and wherever found would be
interrogated.

After the interrogation, the person is released if he is found innocent and
brought to justice if found otherwise.

So the Army has no regrets over Faati's arrest, who was
disgracefully chucked out of the Army for reasons best known to
him and this Headquarters. And at the end of our investigations, we
would not hesitate to pick him up again if he is found wanting.

However, we want to clarify that his arrest has nothing to do with his
escort mission to Basse with the foreign diplomats.

Faati claimed that he visited the barracks to seek assistance in
connection with some personal dispute he has with someone. What
business has Faati got to report a civil matter to the military
barracks? Why not the police stations?

If Faati feels that his image is tarnished then let him take the matter to
the courts rather than running to the press.